TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Superchargers along I-80 from SF bay-area

Discussion in 'Charging Standards and Infrastructure' started by Sshrivas, Mar 9, 2014.

1. Sshrivas

Sshrivas Member

The SC map for 2014, 2015 doesn't look encouraging for east-bound travel from SF along I-80. The two SC's coming up between Folsom and Salt Lake City (approx 650 miles) in 2014 won't cut it for travel on Superchargers. Surprised that Tesla SC team is not aggressively "Supercharging" this route given the large number of Model S in the NorCal region. Would be fun to drive to Montreal, NY, Yellowstone and other places without having to take long Supercharger detours or charging stops.
    I hope Tesla has some pleasant surprise planned for this route.
    Thoughts?

2. Jason S

Jason S Model S Sig Perf (P85)

The I-80 corridor is on the planned list, but is out a bit.

Part of the overall fill in.

3. emupilot

emupilot Member

I wouldn't take the locations of the dots seriously - as you say there would be little point in building superchargers so far apart you could never reach any of them. I'd bet on West Wendover/Wendover, Elko, Winnemucca, and Sparks or Fernley.

4. cantdecide

cantdecide Member

I stayed and charged at an EV friendly hotel in Truckee in December... And they told me a Tesla supercharger was coming to their hotel.
    That location does not seem to be on the map. However I can't be certain they were not confusing an hpwc with a supercharger...

5. Park2670

Park2670 Member

Currently in Danville visiting with family, and made the I-80 journey from Salt Lake in my ICE. Hope that Tesla gets some sort of network on that route soon, as I feel that I would make this journey again when I pickup my Tesla. Hopefully at the factory and drive it home.

6. ecarfan

ecarfan Well-Known Member

I would guess they meant an HPWC. What is the name of the hotel? Did they provide you with a 240V outlet and if so how many amps?

7. cantdecide

cantdecide Member

The hotel was cedar House sport hotel... iirc 30 amp they had a couple of chargers.

8. MikeL

MikeL some guy

Having driven SLC<->Bay Area many times, I think the two SCs across NV on the website map certainly won't be enough and will change, again, at least one more added (?) emupilot's list above has two more. The current dot around Elko seems to be Carlin though, for some reason.

BTW Tesla, in an email, encouraged me to offer specific advice to the SuperCharger team as to where those chargers ought to be. By specific, I think they meant actual sites they could send someone to scout. Anyone with experience on that route, and some useful information for them should chime in! Thanks, I Soooo can't wait to travel it in my Tesla.

9. KJD

KJD Member

Wendover has issued the permit now.

.::West Wendover::.