Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Superchargers are not very reliable still, it appears

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Dirty contacts?

At this power level, even a little bit of resistance due to dirt, etc. is going to create heat and maybe a detectable power drop across the chargeport... so the SC backs off.

Instead of abandoning the stall... have a look into the contacts of the handle. Shine a light. Dirty? Clean 'em with Q tip and contact cleaner, it'll come out black.

I think I'll start carrying cleaner kit around.. and when I've got a good charge going in a stall, clean the contacts of an empty stall or two next to me. Takes a couple minutes.

If "everyone" crowdsourced this we'd have a better charging system.

Tesla wouldn't recommend anything like this...
Contacts are not live until the logic connection is made between car and handle... they negotiate... then clunk power is delivered.

I’ve charged at several EvGo, Greenlots, and Blink DCFC. I’ve found that once you are connected to these chargers, they deliver a consistent and reliable charge. Granted, they do not charge as fast as a supercharger, but I’ve never had one completely drop out on me or randomly throttle to 50% capacity.
True but many are out of service on a constant basis

I was planning a Trip from Chicago to Mississippi this Thanksgiving. This thread is causing me to pause.

I wonder if there is any way to verify the quality of the SC's I will visit before I start out on the trip.
You'll be fine, I am sure. Just don't plan on your charging times to be short. Somebody upthread said they called Tesla and asked them about charger status for the next several stops, but I guess they might not always know that 100%?

Either way as I am sure you already know, the key to happiness with a Tesla is to keep your expectations low and let it surprise you with better than hoped for results from time to time ;)

I don't have a problem with the kit, however I will NEVER stick anything down into a SC port. ( for my own safety ). We are talking about high voltage DC right? 48A? That's 11KW.

Much higher at a SC! It's generally not the available Amps that'll kill ya, it's the voltage backed up by the Amps.

There's guidelines on safeguards for power systems like these to protect ordinary persons, and you gotta believe they're all considered in the SC design. This charging system lets people reach exposed conductors that will carry enough power to spot weld a manhole cover to a bank vault in the blink of an eye.

Much higher at a SC! It's generally not the available Amps that'll kill ya, it's the voltage backed up by the Amps.

There's guidelines on safeguards for power systems like these to protect ordinary persons, and you gotta believe they're all considered in the SC design. This charging system lets people reach exposed conductors that will carry enough power to spot weld a manhole cover to a bank vault in the blink of an eye.

Even though. I know what 48amps is and I wouldn't encourage anyone to put anything into a connector @ 48amps no matter what the voltage is. Especially DC.

I don't even like how a 9V battery at .25 amps feels on my tongue. DC doesn't let you go like AC does.

What is phone number to report Supercharger malfunctions?
It's the Tesla Roadside assistance number. It's displayed on the side of every Supercharger - 877-79-TESLA (877-798-3752)

Customer Support & Roadside Assistance

It's well worth calling. I've found Tesla is very responsive. One time an electrician appeared while I was still there charging to fix a reported problem.

I don't have a problem with the kit, however I will NEVER stick anything down into a SC port. ( for my own safety ). We are talking about high voltage DC right? 48A? That's 11KW.

Nothing to worry about. Neither the contacts inside the charger port nor the SC charge handle are live until commanded to by the car and the SC chargers and all the contactors close. That's when the high voltage power starts to flow.

If you want to carry a 'SC cleaning kit' here's what I would suggest -- https://www.amazon.com/Max-Professional-2015-Contact-Cleaner/dp/B004PHDLQY/ I quick shot of this into each contact would clear out most dirt or surface corrosion which might be causing charging slowdowns.

It's generally not the available Amps that'll kill ya, it's the voltage backed up by the Amps.

I thought it was the opposite: "Current Kills". As I remember, the little shock you get from static electricity is on the order of 10s of thousands of volts while a home outlet with its paltry 120V will kill you instantly if it goes through your heart.

You are correct, it is the current (amps) that can/will kill you. 50amps at 120 or 240 volts will most certainly be fatal or very damaging to your body. But a Tesla coil or Van De Graff Generator can produce a million volts at very low current and you'll be perfectly fine.

• Informative
Reactions: Missile Toad
Nothing to worry about. Neither the contacts inside the charger port nor the SC charge handle are live until commanded to by the car and the SC chargers and all the contactors close. That's when the high voltage power starts to flow.

If you want to carry a 'SC cleaning kit' here's what I would suggest -- https://www.amazon.com/Max-Professional-2015-Contact-Cleaner/dp/B004PHDLQY/ I quick shot of this into each contact would clear out most dirt or surface corrosion which might be causing charging slowdowns.

You are correct, it is the current (amps) that can/will kill you. 50amps at 120 or 240 volts will most certainly be fatal or very damaging to your body. But a Tesla coil or Van De Graff Generator can produce a million volts at very low current and you'll be perfectly fine.

Although I believe you may be correct.....what you are essentially telling me is how it is supposed to work when it works correctly. 99% of the time people get hurt when things don't work correctly......such as the time in the future when I spray something down into the supercharger port and receive a sting only comparable to lightning itself.

Didn't you see in the future what will happen to me in Elons time machine's newspaper article titled.....Supercharged man no longer needs "hair-club for men"?

I agree that things can go wrong, and absolutely nothing's perfect.

But in this particular case, if there is a contactor failure, the electricity from one node would need a path to the other node, or to ground, before you'd get zapped. So as long as you only clean one at a time, and have good shoes on with thick rubber soles, and you aren't simultaneously licking a flagpole, you should be good to go.

:)

I mean, I guess I can understand the point of this post, but I've Supercharged a few times and have only had trouble with one stall...which I rectified by moving to another.

As it happens, I had to rent a U-haul pick-up yesterday, and when I went to fuel it up one of the stalls at the petrol station was out of order. An out of order petrol stall is not an uncommon occurrence...and petrol station shave been around for more than a century.

So...I don't think the SC network needs to be singled out for having normal maintenance issues.

I mean, I guess I can understand the point of this post, but I've Supercharged a few times and have only had trouble with one stall...which I rectified by moving to another.

As it happens, I had to rent a U-haul pick-up yesterday, and when I went to fuel it up one of the stalls at the petrol station was out of order. An out of order petrol stall is not an uncommon occurrence...and petrol station shave been around for more than a century.

So...I don't think the SC network needs to be singled out for having normal maintenance issues.

While it’s true that a petrol/gas station can also break, you tend to lose, at most, 1 minute from such a failure. With the supercharger issues discussed, you can easily burn 20-30 minutes before realizing there’s a problem. Particularly with the overheating handle, where it’ll typically start at normal charging speed before falling off a cliff in 5-10 minutes.

I thought it was the opposite: "Current Kills". As I remember, the little shock you get from static electricity is on the order of 10s of thousands of volts while a home outlet with its paltry 120V will kill you instantly if it goes through your heart.

"Current Kills", while technically true, is a gross oversimplification. The amount of DC current that can stop your heart is about half of an amp, yet most people aren't worried about touching the USB cables they use to charge their phone which in many cases they are plugging into a 1 to 2 amp USB charger.

Part of the confusion, is that the chargers or power source doesn't directly create amps, it produces voltage. When we say it's a 48 amp or 72 amp charger, what we are saying is just that it is rated to handle that many amps while still producing within the voltage range that it's designed to operate on. It is the load (in this case the car) that determines how much amps it will draw based on the resistance.

In the case of talking about current killing a person, it is the resistance of your body that determines how much current to draw. It doesn't matter if the power source is rated at 10 amps or 500, or 1000 amps. It is the resistance of your body that ultimately determines the amps base don the voltage of the power source.

For example, your 12 volt car batteries can have cold cranking amp ratings of 1000 amps. This means that they can produce 1000 amps for 30 seconds while not dropping below less than 7.2 volts. If you have a load that can demand those thousands of amps, then the result can be quite impressive (you can melt a screwdriver in a spectacular fashion if you short the terminals with it), but if you put your arm across the same battery terminals, you will barely feel a tingle if anything at all, because your body has higher resistance than a screw driver, and will not be able to actually demand more than a tiny fraction of an amp.

So while current is technically what kills you, the only two things that decide the current are your skin resistance and the voltage supplied by your power source. Because your skin resistance is relatively constant (within reason), then your only other variable you are left to worry about is voltage. You can be fairly sure that you don't need to be to afraid of 12 volts (at least from an electrocution standpoint, though you could burn yourself pretty badly if you are holding a wrench and short the terminals). Once you start getting higher than 50 it could start becoming very uncomfortable or painful, and not too far beyond that, potentially lethal.

When you talk about 10s of thousands of volts of static electricity, that's very different, because although it's very high voltage, it is not sustained. As soon as you discharge it drops straight back down to 0, so it only generates high current for a very tiny fraction of a second. Enough to heat up the air so you have a visible spark, and enough to potentially be painful at the skin surface, but not enough to really be dangerous. It's like touching a very hot pot in the stove, if you touch it very quickly you probably won't get burned.