Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Superchargers at Holiday Inn Express

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

jpfive

Supporting Member
Oct 31, 2019
Pensacola, FL
As part of planning an upcoming trip from FL to CA I've discovered that Superchargers are popping up at Holiday Inn Express locations. I look for chargers before making reservations as a matter of course now. At other places I have stayed these are "destination chargers", similar to the Tesla WC I have at home, but on a post in the parking lot. Where I have found them they have been complementary - no charge if you are staying there. The SC sites at HI sites are different. They are owned by Tesla, but installed with the cooperation of HI, whose motels offer refreshments, amenities and a comfortable place to hang out while charging. They are not complementary (normal SC charges apply) but neither are you required to stay at the hosting motel. I talked by phone to the HI Express in Santa Rosa, NM, to get a clarification on their status. On further investigation, I find that many HI properties are cooperating with Tesla in this way. I think that this is a very positive development, and another welcome option. Just don't change your lodging plans thinking that the use is free of charge. At any rate, thanks and a salute to TM and HI for partnering in this way.

The Superchargers at Huntsville and Channelview Texas are at Holiday Inn Express hotels. Some of the stalls are labeled for overnight use and others for normal SC use. I was wondering if it is a formal collaboration between Holiday Inn Express and Tesla or just a coincidence. Sounds like the former.

I've not yet been able to make use of a destination charger in any kind of road trip.

The reasons:
1) Hotels with destination chargers are sometimes more expensive, and not explicitly "better". Its not worth $40 to charge your car.
2) Such hotels are relatively scarce and it takes time to find such a hotel. You have to plan your arrival so that you have a low enough SOC to make it worth it, and plan your departure so that the next supercharger is neither too close nor too far, otherwise you stop anyways.

It is a lot easier to book your hotels when you need them, and book them based on price and quality.

I've not yet been able to make use of a destination charger in any kind of road trip.

The reasons:
1) Hotels with destination chargers are sometimes more expensive, and not explicitly "better". Its not worth $40 to charge your car.
2) Such hotels are relatively scarce and it takes time to find such a hotel. You have to plan your arrival so that you have a low enough SOC to make it worth it, and plan your departure so that the next supercharger is neither too close nor too far, otherwise you stop anyways.

It is a lot easier to book your hotels when you need them, and book them based on price and quality.

Well, everybody needs to do their own math. In my case my wife gets a vote. She casts my vote also for that matter. Her vote says that a Hampton Inn is worth $40 more - but does not often require that premium. Getting to charge overnight - at no charge - is just a bonus. Convenience is worth more as you get older - and I don't know your age, sorry - but perhaps this is still in your future. When we visit the kids in Tallahassee we stay at a Home 2 Suites that has a charger. It also has affordable suites that accommodate our two pups. Charger etiquette requires me to move my car from the charger if there are other EV's waiting, but otherwise I park there overnight (two Tesla chargers + two J1772 available). I leave word with the desk to notify me if another EV shows up and needs the spot. So far, it has only been me.

I never flew first class either until an upgrade ruined me for coach. Now I look at it this way, if I can't afford first class I can't afford to fly. That is from a 73 year old guy who has saved his money (I can afford a Tesla, after all) is still 6'1" tall and no longer will try to fold himself into a main cabin seat - in a row that crams three into space suitable for two.

But, hey, live your own priorities.