Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Port Orange, FL

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I thinking this is enough of a confirmation to start an official thread (although I've been wrong before!)

Permit granted to install 8 chargers at Volusia Point Shopping Center (1 Daytona Blvd, Daytona Beach, FL 32114): https://crw.codb.us/etrakit3/Permit_CODB.aspx?permitNo=C1305-114

Would seem like the perfect fit to the red dot map and Tesla has a habit of installing 8 chargers at a time.

Now, when is it going to open?

:biggrin:

I thinking this is enough of a confirmation to start an official thread (although I've been wrong before!)

Permit granted to install 8 chargers at Volusia Point Shopping Center (1 Daytona Blvd, Daytona Beach, FL 32114): https://crw.codb.us/etrakit3/Permit_CODB.aspx?permitNo=C1305-114

Would seem like the perfect fit to the red dot map and Tesla has a habit of installing 8 chargers at a time.

Now, when is it going to open?

:biggrin:

Nigel,

Great find. It looks very promising.

Larry

When I was taking the test drive last month, they asked me where I do my long drives to. I go to the Carolina's once or twice a year. Will be nice once they have the I-95 corridor to the NE linked up. I think I see a pattern in Tesla's SC station thinking. Put them at the junction of major Interstates. There's this one (hopefully) and the one marked down for Port St Lucie. At first I wondered why there then I realized it's on the I-95/Turnpike junction.

When I was taking the test drive last month, they asked me where I do my long drives to. I go to the Carolina's once or twice a year. Will be nice once they have the I-95 corridor to the NE linked up. I think I see a pattern in Tesla's SC station thinking. Put them at the junction of major Interstates. There's this one (hopefully) and the one marked down for Port St Lucie. At first I wondered why there then I realized it's on the I-95/Turnpike junction.

Now if they'll put one at the junction of I-75 and the north end of the turnpike, e.g., south Ocala, Florida will be adequately covered on major arteries. As has been said several times in the past (and the horse is on its last breath), move the planned SC near Palm Coast/St. Augustine if budget is constrained.

Now if they'll put one at the junction of I-75 and the north end of the turnpike, e.g., south Ocala, Florida will be adequately covered on major arteries. As has been said several times in the past (and the horse is on its last breath), move the planned SC near Palm Coast/St. Augustine if budget is constrained.

Yeah that would open up the route to Atlanta and the I-10 corridor. I believe Tesla are saying they'll have 3 SC's in FL by the summer's end and 30 throughout the country by the end of this year. Lets hope they stay on track :smile:

If the Daytona site is a reality, then I, as a Palm Coast resident, agree that Palm Coast/St. Augustine is superfluous. IMHO, it should be moved to the vicinity of the I-10/I-295 junction in Jacksonville.

If the Daytona site is a reality, then I, as a Palm Coast resident, agree that Palm Coast/St. Augustine is superfluous. IMHO, it should be moved to the vicinity of the I-10/I-295 junction in Jacksonville.

Archie,

In the next several weeks when you are passing through the Volusia area around 1 Daytona Blvd, could you check out to see if there's any construction around 8 parking spots?

Thanks.

Larry

It appears the planned Jacksonville SC will be operational, e.g., Winter 2013, before the Palm Coast/St. Augustine SC. I can't tell exactly where it will be from the maps.

It appears the planned Jacksonville SC will be operational, e.g., Winter 2013, before the Palm Coast/St. Augustine SC. I can't tell exactly where it will be from the maps.

Hi Bill,

Here's my guess regarding the Jacksonville Supercharger. It's 104 miles from Nigels's educated guess regarding the "Daytona" Supercharger at Volusia.

SPECULATION:

Examining the "Jacksonville" dot we notice that it is North of Jacksonville. Zooming in with Google Maps we find the River City Marketplace located right off of I-95 and outside the I-295 beltway that runs around the city. So after topping off at a Supercharger located there a driver would have the option of avoiding the downtown city traffic by taking the beltway. This location nicely matches the dot in relation to Jacksonville.

Larry

Hi Larry,

I had read your thread and also thought the SC might be north of Jax. However, it really makes the most sense to me to place it at the west junction of I-10 and the I-295 beltway...if the Savannah SC is located near the I-16/I-95 intersection (a distance of 130 miles or so). That location would take care of people traveling north-south on I-95 as well as those turning west off I-95 onto I-10. I have no idea if there's a suitable location near the intersection I've mentioned. Given finding that is possible, I believe "my" location obviates the need for an SC a few miles south near St. Augustine/Palm Coast.

I might also mention when we travel from Tampa Bay area to NC, we go north on I-75 until we catch US 301 near Ocala, which intersects with I-10. Using this route we not only shorten our distance considerably, but also avoid both Orlando (on I-4) and Gainesville (I-75) traffic.

Bill

Last edited:
Hi Larry,

I had read your thread and also thought the SC might be north of Jax. However, it really makes the most sense to me to place it at the west junction of I-10 and the I-295 beltway...if the Savannah SC is located near the I-16/I-95 intersection (a distance of 130 miles or so). That location would take care of people traveling north-south on I-95 as well as those turning west off I-95 onto I-10. I have no idea if there's a suitable location near the intersection I've mentioned. Given finding that is possible, I believe "my" location obviates the need for an SC a few miles south near St. Augustine/Palm Coast.

Hi Bill,

Yes, I agree if Supercharger placement was as simple as putting pins on a map. :wink:

The problem is finding suitable host locations right off the intersections of those strategic highways.

In reviewing the overlay over the Supercharger dots map, see below, it appears that the "Jacksonville" locations is clearly North of Jacksonville.

attachment.php?attachmentid=22984&d=1370114593.jpg

As I mentioned I found a major shopping mall outside the beltway on I-95 at that apparent location.

With regard to a locations West and right off of the I-295 beltway, I could not find any decent shopping centers there. I suppose there could be a small strip mall in that general area, but it didn't seem to match up with the Tesla dot.

Larry

- - - Updated - - -

Will be happy to do so once I get back to FL. I'm in Chicago right now. :wink:
Archie/Caddieo

No rush. :smile:

If the permit Nigel found was for the Superchargers it was justed issued on May 23rd, they probably haven't started construction yet.

Larry

Larry, I agree with all your findings...my wishful thinking preceded prudent investigation. I too was unable to find a comparable location to River City Marketplace near the west I-10/I-295 beltway intersection.

However, the distance from the Volucia SC to the Lake City SC appears to be only 153 miles, from River City Marketplace to Lake City about 77 miles and, as you said, from River City Marketplace to Volucia SC about 104 miles. IMO, each of those distances seems reasonable without adding another SC in St. Augustine/Palm Coast area, only 50+ miles from Volucia and Jax SC's...especially if it means not having a supercharger in the Ocala area (which it may not).

Full disclosure: I'm quite biased since I drive I-75 to Macon (rental property) and Atlanta (grandchildren) frequently and can't fathom having to adjust to just one SC between Tampa Bay and Macon 400+ miles away. FWIW, I also try to get to some Gator games each fall (round-trip same day) and wouldn't relish the idea of having to deal with slow charging issues each time. An Ocala SC would be ideal for any Gator fans traveling north to the games via I-75 or TP. I suspect the same would be true for Seminole fans.

Upon looking closely at an enhanced supercharger map, I'll be quite surprised if the last SC implemented (chronologically) on I-95 in FL isn't located at mile marker 318 (SR16) at either the St. Augustine Outlets or St. Augustine Premium Outlets. They're extremely close to I-95 as well as each other and both have lots of amenities.
I couldn't find any way to look at permits online, not that there would be one yet since it becomes a gray dot in Winter 2013. That is not to say NigelM, the SC wizard, couldn't work some magic. :smile:

BINGO!!! Got a nudge to drive to Daytona with a camera late this AM and guess what I found. :rolleyes: The pictures, if I can attach and send them properly, should be self-explanatory. The location is in the east (only) parking lot of the large glass building (NASCAR HQ??) that stands by itself across International Speedway Blvd. from the Daytona track. There are 4 pedestals and it appears that there are 2 cables per pedestal = 8 stations. As you go east on Speedway Blvd. (92) the intersection signs say Nascar Drive on the right and Daytona Blvd. on the left. Incidentally, on some online maps, Daytona Blvd. is listed as Industrial Parkway.
Enjoy!:biggrin:

- - - Updated - - -

Addendum to my previous post: Immediately east of the parking lot is a strip mall with a Ruby Tuesday. Next east from there is the Volusia Mall with a Penney, Macy and Dillards and a food court.

Attachments

• DSCN9089.jpg
    DSCN9089.jpg
    57.4 KB · Views: 661
  • DSCN9087.jpg
    DSCN9087.jpg
    81.7 KB · Views: 515