Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Superchargers being increased in Scotland

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Could someone turn this thread into a general UK Superchargers thread?

If you like you can "Watch thread" on the main thread that @Chug mentioned, so you get notification of any updates. I added an Status List on 21-Feb of all the long overdue sites that have been stalled for ridiculous length of time by landlord way-leaves and the like ...

UK Supercharger Site News

Separate to that this site is useful supercharge.info

I pick my Model S 100D up this Thursday

Congratulations :)

Some suggestions:

Try a Supercharger before you absolutely have to, and show your spouse before she/he absolutely has to ... the first time my wife had to was critical and she was in a bit of a flap ... and before that we had stopped LOADS of times to Supercharger and I had never thought to even show her / get her to do it.

Maybe try a 3rd party Type-2 charger when not critical too. I've failed to charge at plenty, and had enormous hassle at others ...

I wish I had had a passenger-cam from Day One so I could have recorded the looks on all my mates' faces at the "Go on, gives us a demo" sessions :)

If you are interested in 3rd party logging tool like TeslaFi then they will only log data from when you open an account, not retrospectively, so register soon after purchase. You can use my TeslaFi referral code, or someone elses of course, to extend your trial from 2 weeks to a month and if you register I get $5 (or something like that) off my next sub

Reactions: Gatsojon and DJP31
Congratulations :)

Some suggestions:

Try a Supercharger before you absolutely have to, and show your spouse before she/he absolutely has to ... the first time my wife had to was critical and she was in a bit of a flap ... and before that we had stopped LOADS of times to Supercharger and I had never thought to even show her / get her to do it.

Maybe try a 3rd party Type-2 charger when not critical too. I've failed to charge at plenty, and had enormous hassle at others ...

I wish I had had a passenger-cam from Day One so I could have recorded the looks on all my mates' faces at the "Go on, gives us a demo" sessions :)

If you are interested in 3rd party logging tool like TeslaFi then they will only log data from when you open an account, not retrospectively, so register soon after purchase. You can use my TeslaFi referral code, or someone elses of course, to extend your trial from 2 weeks to a month and if you register I get $5 (or something like that) off my next sub
Thank you so much,Yes I intended doing just that on day 1 with my wife ..Yes will definitely try the Type 2 non Tesla charger as well.Would you recommend buying a Chademo converter on day 1 ?... Shouldn’t need it yet as my current business routes all have plenty Superchargers on the way.
Will check out the Teslafi thing as well,

Many thanks

Alex

Would you recommend buying a Chademo converter on day 1 ?... Shouldn’t need it yet as my current business routes all have plenty Superchargers on the way.

No I think I’d wait and see how you get on, without risking getting stranded of course. There is a CCS adapter on the way ‘soon’ and I’d wait for that rather than lash out £450 for a CHAdeMO. There’s likely to be many more CCS chargers installed as that’s the European standard being adopted, and they should deliver more kW of power than the CHADeMO does.

There is a CCS adapter on the way ‘soon’ and I’d wait for that rather than lash out £450 for a CHAdeMO

Yes, me too. If O/P sees a CHAdeMO come up "cheap" on eBay and thinks he needs one (he has routes which don't go via Supercharger but do have good CHAdeMO options) ... or ... if O/P thinks Musk's "CCS adaptor coming soon" might be Ahem! "some time not very soon" :)

UK Supercharger Site News

@cezdoc said Perth went live around 18.00 yesterday - several successful charges reported and a reassuring red glow coming from all 12 chargers.
It's not yet on the in-car map / app but I expect it will appear later today.

Mentioning it here as this thread is linked from SuprchargerInfo and might help to get that updated (can;t find a way to report data to that site ...)

Had my maiden voyage today in my new inventory Model S 100d to work in London...one hundred and sixty mile round trip and was left with 155 miles range when home..I am so delighted with it

Good to hear :) . Did you use the energy graph to see how you were doing against what the car expected? I find that useful on longer journeys.

I also have the units in the binnacle displaying % rather than miles. The miles guess fluctuates and I simply use 1% = 2 miles. YMMV but on reading this and other fora when I was in the Long Wait a couple of years ago, most owners displayed % not miles.

Just checking: You have to pay (ironic as that is ...) in order to be exempt from congestion charge, and that annual subscription needs to be done before you go into London, and takes a few weeks ...
Hello again,

Yes,I called TFL prior to going in and after speaking to a manager got them to waive both the £10 registration and the £10 autopay and once they see a copy of the V5 I have a name to call and be refunded any payments.... They agree it is so silly as Tesla only make electric vehicles but you still have to prove it doesn’t have an engine by sending the proof in.They have escalated this issue and hopefully one day people will be Congestion Charge free from day 1.

Thank you for your help.

It was amazing to park for 4 hours and pay only 0.81p though.

Best wishes,

Alex

Reactions: drewpost
Hello again,

Yes,I called TFL prior to going in and after speaking to a manager got them to waive both the £10 registration and the £10 autopay and once they see a copy of the V5 I have a name to call and be refunded any payments.... They agree it is so silly as Tesla only make electric vehicles but you still have to prove it doesn’t have an engine by sending the proof in.They have escalated this issue and hopefully one day people will be Congestion Charge free from day 1.

Thank you for your help.

It was amazing to park for 4 hours and pay only 0.81p though.

Best wishes,

Alex
Suggest check the London borough you are planning to park in. Westminster City Council discounts parking for EVs, some others don't. In January I parked in Serle St thinking it was in Westminster but it's in Camden and I got a ticket. Camden cancelled it when I explained.

Suggest check the London borough you are planning to park in. Westminster City Council discounts parking for EVs, some others don't. In January I parked in Serle St thinking it was in Westminster but it's in Camden and I got a ticket. Camden cancelled it when I explained.
Fortunately I work in Westminster so all good but thank you.They are a bit naughty as it is not perfectly clear if you don’t know.Been working in London for 30 years and the Tesla made it a joy to drive in the other day..Scotland road trip one day though.Thank you so much again.

Alex

,I called TFL prior to going in and after speaking to a manager got them to waive both the £10 registration and the £10 autopay and once they see a copy of the V5 I have a name to call and be refunded any payments.... They agree it is so silly as Tesla only make electric vehicles but you still have to prove it doesn’t have an engine by sending the proof in.They have escalated this issue and hopefully one day people will be Congestion Charge free from day 1.

Blimey! nice one, wish I lived a charmed life like that :) :) :)

Reactions: Alset2go
'It was amazing to park for 4 hours and pay only 0.81p though'

What's the story there?
I have to park in Chelsea, Easter Monday, so any insight welcome.
Evidently not all London boroughs are equal,however most of my business is in Westminster (No I am not a politician) and for years I have paid a fortune..... now with the Tesla or other EV you can either phone them or use the Ringo App and pay for 10 minutes every four hours as an incentive to drive electric.

Best wishes,

Alex

There are no parking exemptions in Chelsea. But since it borders Westminster, you may be able to park in Wesminster and walk to wherever you need in Chelsea.
There are a few Source London charging bays which normally include the parking fee (but check) however they charge £3.60 per hour... but at least you are getting a useful 7KW/hr charge. Have a look at zap-map to confirm charging options.
There are ubitricity bays but you have to use their stupid cable and parking fees still apply.
Hammersmith & Fulham also borders Chelsea and they have loads of Source London bays, so they could be an option too