Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Superchargers capped at 80% in some locations

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I like this new SC change. It doesn't actually force you into an 80% cap, but merely act as a reminder to be mindful of other people who may be waiting for a charge. If there's a row of cars waiting and you physically slide it past the 80%, there better be a good reason for doing so (like trying to make the next charger for instance.) It's much easier to ignore the row of waiting cars if you don't have to do anything but sit there and let it charge to 90%-100%.

Reactions: TexasEV
It is near my neck of the woods. Because the chargers are near shopping centers and getting to 80% is pretty quick, ill admit to sliding that sucker to 100% just to get another hour to finish my shopping. Part of me is like, "well I got here first. If I want to charge to 100, that's my freedom." The other part of me is, " well, aren't I being Douchy..what if someone is waiting for a spot." So I'll check the app and see that there's still spots open so I'll continue to shop, lol.

Reactions: DCGOO
I got the "Please limit yourself to 80%" cap message at Ellensburg, Washington TSC last Monday (May 27th). It was 4 out of 5 full. So at 80% I drove over to Cle Elum for a 2nd top up for the long haul over to Burlington, Washington. That TSC was 11 out of 12 full but no message to please cap it.

Food for thought, Cheers, Hugh

Just returned from Palm Bay, FL SC.
  • 8 stalls - 2 used (including me)
  • Told me of 80% limit.
  • But allows me to charge to any level (I assume because of open stalls)
  • Needs improved messaging, but overall, a good thing IMO
View attachment 411965
Thank you for the update and information. I will pay attention and try to share my experience. As a Melbourne,FL neighbor, I will be taking my newly ordered Model X performance scheduled to receive June 11th and travel 1500 miles one way starting on June 26th up to Wi.

Actually, I plugged into The Livermore Premium Outlets supercharger network last week and when I plugged in, I got the 80% warning, etc. When I hit 80%, the car turned itself off, went black, A/C off, cell phone charger off, dead. I did the double scrollbar reboot and the car slowly came back and then I was allowed to charge again up to my limit, 91%.

I wonder if this could be a work-around to the 80% charge limit?

Mike P

Sucky thing is it will change your settings to 80%; so you have to physically update it after you get the notice.

This is not ture.

after you are done charging at an 80% limited station th slider goes back to whatever you had it set to begin with automatically. mine reverted to 90% each time i left an 80% limited SCer.. and this happened 3 times in the course of a weekend. i did not have to manually change anything.

This is not ture.

after you are done charging at an 80% limited station th slider goes back to whatever you had it set to begin with automatically. mine reverted to 90% each time i left an 80% limited SCer.. and this happened 3 times in the course of a weekend. i did not have to manually change anything.

You have to manually move the slider of toy want to charge past 80% during that current charge session.

This is not ture.

But, if you don't get to 80% and the automated shutdown, i.e. you disconnect early, than it stays at 80%. And the next time you charge you still have the 80% max set. That happened to me over the weekend

Actually, I plugged into The Livermore Premium Outlets supercharger network last week and when I plugged in, I got the 80% warning, etc. When I hit 80%, the car turned itself off, went black, A/C off, cell phone charger off, dead. I did the double scrollbar reboot and the car slowly came back and then I was allowed to charge again up to my limit, 91%.

I wonder if this could be a work-around to the 80% charge limit?

Mike P

Pull out your phone and reset the limit. Even if you are still Supercharging the limit will adjust.

I did this while the car was at the Dublin Supercharger the other day and realized I could not get back from Starbucks before 80% was hit.