Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Superchargers capped at 80% in some locations

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Be aware should this impact your trip planning in any way. No indication on the map of the policy. Experienced today at my local SC which was less than half full.

Maybe just an inconvenience for some but for those of us who tow or otherwise push range limits regularly, this may be catastrophic.

Attachments

• 9558CB40-C331-4402-ADC1-A7344C4151EF.jpeg
    9558CB40-C331-4402-ADC1-A7344C4151EF.jpeg
    283.2 KB · Views: 106
Reactions: Cowby
One can assume more people will encounter idling fees now. You can generally get back in plenty of time due to the charging being tapered off near full charge. But hits 80% much faster. Even on road trips I generally on charge to 80% anyways. The last 10-20 charges so slow

They say you can get more than 80% if using the trip planner, but I tried that and it didn’t work, still stopped me at 80%. Maybe because there were superchargers to stop along the way.

I’m not worried about the early stoppage, worried about not being able the leg to the next station.

Sure hope that doesn't happen down our way.
The superchargers heading south of me are spaced at:
278km (Auckland to Taupo) and 251km (Taupo to Palmerston North).
80% wont be enough in an MX75
Fortunately there are plenty of Chademo chargers around.

Ocala Florida gave me this message last weekend. I needed all the juice I could get to make it to Cedar Key and back. There was only one other car present while I was there, out of 8 stalls.

I can understand a cap if the SC is actually busy, but not if it's empty.

Every time I see a feature like this that seems to be not well thought out, I wonder if the same people designed it as designed the fart app?

• Funny
Reactions: mrElbe and Cowby
right,

it's not really worth it past 90%, pretty useless past 95% as it gets so slow it might as well charge over 120v mobile connector.

That's not accurate at all. 120v charging is barely 1 kW. I don't think I've ever seen charging to 100% at a Supercharger ever reached 1 kW. It did drop below L2 charging rates and to get to the final, won't charge anymore level it once took some 20 extra minutes past reporting 100%. But that was likely a balancing issue which was the exact reason why I was charging to 100%.

Reactions: MP3Mike
Probably helps protect the battery for longevity.

I wish I had saved the graphs that Elon Musk provided in a Tweet once. They showed the degradation in capacity vs. number of charges for a variety of charge/discharge levels. Charging to 100% was only a little bit worse than 90% and still did not make much difference after 200,000 miles of charging. The graph went out to multiple thousands of charges which is 20 years or more for most users. If you charged every day 1,000 charges is three years. 5,000 charges is 15 years.