Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Superchargers Doubling in 2019?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yeah lol @Ostrichsak

I apologized I contributed to that tangent.

It seems like Supercharging has become a bit less of a priority for them right now. Service is more of an urgent issue that can cause a lot more serious problems for them if it goes unresolved.

Not sure that actually improves the charging time overall. If so, wouldn't Tesla tell us to use battery power to warm the battery to get more range? Besides, this does nothing in places like Southern California where it is never cold enough to need battery heating.

As a Californian who has stopped at over 100 unique Supercharging stations, I can assure you that the battery preconditioning makes a difference. Even on a warm SoCal day, preconditioning kicks in while navigating to a Supercharger and charging starts at a higher rate than it otherwise would have.

I'm not trying to claim that this makes up for the underwhelming number of new stations installed in 2019, but it definitely does impact the total network capacity to some degree.

Reactions: Blup85 and mociaf9
As a Californian who has stopped at over 100 unique Supercharging stations, I can assure you that the battery preconditioning makes a difference. Even on a warm SoCal day, preconditioning kicks in while navigating to a Supercharger and charging starts at a higher rate than it otherwise would have.

I'm not trying to claim that this makes up for the underwhelming number of new stations installed in 2019, but it definitely does impact the total network capacity to some degree.
Especially when even minor improvements are compounded at busy stations. It's not about getting some massive improvement as an individual car, but rather what happens to station throughput when each car charges just a bit faster.

• Informative
Reactions: Blup85 and Chuq
Especially when even minor improvements are compounded at busy stations. It's not about getting some massive improvement as an individual car, but rather what happens to station throughput when each car charges just a bit faster.

I tend to think in terms of my situation, often needing to push the range and getting my Supercharging for free. But this would seem to cost money for most drivers who pay for their charging. I'm sure it's not a lot, even 10 kWh is only $2.80. But like you say, multiply that by the cars involved and it turns into a significant aggregate cost.

I tend to think in terms of my situation, often needing to push the range and getting my Supercharging for free. But this would seem to cost money for most drivers who pay for their charging. I'm sure it's not a lot, even 10 kWh is only $2.80. But like you say, multiply that by the cars involved and it turns into a significant aggregate cost.

I guess you can turn this off? If nothing else you can set your destination to be someplace near the Supercharger rather than the charger itself.

I would want to dispute the claim that this helps in Southern California simply because I've been told the ideal battery temp for driving is around 80-85°F. It can't really make that much difference if the battery is 10°F colder. Are you saying the battery should be warmer than that for charging?

In most jurisdictions, capital improvements, which are the basis for rates, have to be approved by the PUC. If not, the utility might be building beautiful spas for senior employees for the ratepayers to pay for. Installing a Supercharger is almost always a capital improvement (new lines, new transformer, upstream improvements), unlike a residential install which is simply running a wire from the pole transformer to the house.

A 8 lane Supercharger is about the power of a 50 unit residential subdivision, with very different usage characteristics that the utility may not be prepared for.

Superchargers are seldom installed in residential areas. They are installed in commercial areas where electricity usage goes up nearly every day. It's hard for me to remember a commercial area which doesn't get a new Wendy's or gas station or any manner of big box store at some point during the year. I've never seen a Costco open late.

What's the beef? There is an 8 stall SC in Annapolis, and four more within 20 miles. There are two more SC in process, too. If you are a little patient, Plugshare shows over 15 chargers within 5 miles of Annapolis.

Try to have a nice day.

I think the point was the long time it took to get the Annapolis charger up and running. Level 2 charging is pretty pointless unless you need a few kW to reach a Supercharger or you can park overnight. I've had to sit sharing a Tesla Destination charger before. It was such a joy when a car drove off and my charging went from something like 5 kW to 8 kW. It was winter and I'm not looking forward to that again.