Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Superchargers for Model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Yukan

Supercharger TV
Sep 18, 2015
Netherlands
Hi All,

Recently Bjorn Nyland uploaded a photo from supercharger located in Bergen, Norway. All places are occupied. I wonder whether Tesla offers supercharges for free for mass produced Model 3?

What do you guys think?

Hi All,

Recently Bjorn Nyland uploaded a photo from supercharger located in Bergen, Norway. All places are occupied. I wonder whether Tesla offers supercharges for free for mass produced Model 3?

What do you guys think?

Supercharging is never really free since its built in the price of the car. It will cost extra for the base $35k model and included for higher priced versions.

Superchargers are a huge competitive advantage for Tesla, so they'll certainly be arranging some kind of access, and we know they hate the pay as you go models.

Most likely it'll be an option, but it could be included free - or as another poster suggested and Tesla did initially on Model S, included on the higher battery options and an option on the smaller.
Walter

I tend to agree that the base model will have Supercharging as a paid option, much like it was an option for the old S60. Supercharging will be included in the Model 3+ (or whatever designation they select) pricing structure, much like the tech package was offered to Model S buyers. However, for those people who buy the base model and forgo the Supercharger option, Tesla should offer Supercharger access for 7,14,30 and 60-day periods. This could be purchased via Tesla's website on credit card, so Tesla won't have to worry about billing and calculating per-kWh (or clock time) rates. Perhaps $30 for 7 days, $50 for 14, $100 for 30, and $150 for 60 days, or whatever. (Still much cheaper than gasoline.)

In any event, the Model 3 will not be available until Superchargers cover 95% of the targeted area for the United States and Canada. (I am not up to speed on the rest of the planet.) With an anticipated range of approximately 200-225 miles, Tesla will have to fill in some of the longer gaps along the interstates in order for the Model 3 to be able to manage the distance without concerns for range or a 1-hour charging stop in order to reach 95% SOC. More stalls in urban locations combined with shorter gaps (80-120 miles) should permit any Tesla to travel comfortably.

• Love
Reactions: Tedkidd
Having a pay option on superchargers means they have to completely change the structure of the existing superchargers, have to add more mechanism and etc. they cost more money.

the easisest solution would be the base model 3 , not having supercharger plug in option available. or you could buy it as an option with cost.

Having a pay option on superchargers means they have to completely change the structure of the existing superchargers, have to add more mechanism and etc.

Would it really? It seems like your car can tell Tesla everything about when, where, and how much charge you get from a supercharger. Not saying that they would, but all they would have to do it take the information they are already capable of gathering and charge you accordingly. I doubt we'd see credit card readers at superchargers.

+1 -

These days Tesla building superchargers for coverage. after the launch of TM3 they have to build more to meet demand :)

actually I am more interested in what new home charging option Tesla will make available. I just can not see several hundred thousand people installing their own HPWCs (at its current price) to charge at home, not to mention the people who will purchase that have no home charging option. Tesla will have to have a solution for rapid local charging for the 3 to gain wide acceptance. The current supercharger network will not be enough, not even close.

Last edited:
Having a pay option on superchargers means they have to completely change the structure of the existing superchargers, have to add more mechanism and etc. they cost more money. the easisest solution would be the base model 3 , not having supercharger plug in option available. or you could buy it as an option with cost.

Not hard at all. Every time a Model S is plugged is, Tesla is sent data about the car and it's simply a matter of having a computer generate an invoice.

You have the option to turn off feedback to Tesla Motors, and some do for privacy reasons. So what your saying is not possible that way, I don't think its legally feaseble as well.

If what you say is true, if you didn't have supercharging enabled in your Model S, you could simply turn off off feedback and then charge. It doesn't work that way. The car communicates with the supercharger to authorize charging. It's very simple to authorize and generate an invoice.

- - - Updated - - -

actually I am more interested in what new home charging option Tesla will make available. I just can not see several hundred thousand people installing their own HPWCs (at its current price) to charge at home, not to mention the people who will purchase that have no home charging option. Tesla will have to have a solution for rapid local charging for the 3 to gain wide acceptance. The current supercharger network will not be enough, not even close.

Why do you need a HPWC at home? All you need is the same outlet that your range uses (40 amps) or even your dryer (30 amps).

+1 -

While this is certainly important, solving this problem is not critical to wide acceptance of the Model 3. Depending on the source it is estimated there are over 70 million homes in the US that will have little trouble installing a Wall Connector or NEMA 14-50 outlet.

While this is certainly important, solving this problem is not critical to wide acceptance of the Model 3. Depending on the source it is estimated there are over 70 million homes in the US that will have little trouble installing a Wall Connector or NEMA 14-50 outlet.

In some places without easy access to charging, such as apartment complexes/condos I would think we will see the start of L2 charging spaces offered as an additional charge, the same way they offer garage units at an additional charge. Or both for that matter, a garage unit with L2 charger for an additional $ a month. Many already have single car garage offerings in separate buildings. It's not going to be feasible at every multi-unit location, but will be an additional service to attract customers as well as increase revenues from those attracted customers.

For the Model 3 I agree that there absolutely has to be an apartment dweller solution, and I suspect it will be more Superchargers located for local charging as opposed to long distance charging as now. The Supercharger network is rapidly becoming a very large barrier to entry for other manufacturers unless they pay to play so I don't think Tesla is going to give that up.

For the Model 3 I agree that there absolutely has to be an apartment dweller solution, and I suspect it will be more Superchargers located for local charging as opposed to long distance charging as now. The Supercharger network is rapidly becoming a very large barrier to entry for other manufacturers unless they pay to play so I don't think Tesla is going to give that up.

I don't see it as a matter of giving it up but rather building it out in a manner that is reasonably sustainable. If locals charge at superchargers, the entire system will break down. We are seeing that already and there's barely any Teslas in the wild, compared to what we are about to see. I supercharge at one of the least used sites in North America, being Hope BC. Yet on a recent long weekend it was nearly full. No one charging there was from Hope. But if the locals start to use it for daily charging Tesla wouldn't be able to meet demand. And it's not an answer to say build it out so the locals can charge. That makes no sense. We need to keep the superchargers for long distance travel only and drum it into everyone's head at this early stage of EV's that this is their sole purpose. It just won't work otherwise. That's why Tesla is sending out the letters to local offenders. I think that if you live in an apartment, Tesla should make an exception and let you charge locally. That should be the only exception. If you live in a condo, you own a portion of the common property and the laws must be changed to allow for installation of outlets to charge, regardless of what the condo by-laws state. Until the laws are changed, condo owners should also be allowed to use them but we need to get the laws changed.

In much of Canada (but thankfully not where I live), if you park an ICE vehicle outside in the winter without a block heater you won't be starting your car in the morning. When I went to the University of Calgary over 25 years ago, there was an outlet for each vehicle parking space for the apartment complex I rented and I plugged my car's block heater in every night in the winter. There's no reason we can't just up the amps and do this for all apartments and condo. Problem solved.

Would be nice if Tesla added some additional information into navigation system about supercharger you route to. Like how many places are available totally, how many free and prediction in time if all are occupied. For example near Amsterdam supercharger is almost always busy and you have a big chance to stay in queue mostly because Amsterdam airport taxi drivers use it. Tesla is aware of this situation but has not added more chargers nor restrict access to them. Let' s change all taxi drivers to Model 3 owners and I can imagine that superchargers as a public resource will be always used to almost 100%.

For the same reason people buy other electric vehicles?

I high doubt supercharging will be available for the model 3 as a one time purchase for unlimited use. I predict it will be "pay per use" with rates slightly higher than home charging. That's the only way they can keep the locals out.
I think you have not given this scenerio enough thought, "keep the locals out" there will always be those who thoughtlessly "game the system. So with your 200+ mile range model 3, do you take 10 seconds to plugin or drive half an hour or an hour, or more each way, fighting traffic, spend more time at a supercharger, drive back losing part of the charge you gained, waste hours and hours of your time vs 10 seconds. If you can afford the Tesla your earning are probably well above $30-40/hr. SO you spent $100+ of your time to gain $1-$3 of electricity (and waste part of that in the drive home) nice ROI

Not hard at all. Every time a Model S is plugged i...
Why do you need a HPWC at home? All you need is the same outlet that your range uses (40 amps) or even your dryer (30 amps).
try an experiment. get plugshare from plugshare.com. filter using only home chargers and Tesla S. there are a lot of folks whom will share some electrons to someone in need. a 50 amp NEMA 14-50 is ok, but an HPWC is faster for occasional uses.