Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Superchargers in Australia

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It can’t be done because it would break the CCS2 standard.
Much easier to add cables to existing superchargers and start making CCS2 cars.

Adding cables to superchargers is far easier and cheaper than modifying cars, too.
Even if it were the same number (which it isn’t) you can modify superchargers in batches (8 at a visit), don’t have to schedule a service appointment, can do at any hour, etc etc.
This is the point I was trying to make. I think I got confused about who was making which point. The only arguments for keeping the existing Supercharger system is related to the existing cars. It makes no sense for the future. I imagine that the next S & X refresh will also add CCS2.

There was talk of an adapter for existing cars - an exciting possibility as it would open up other charging networks such as the NRMA, QLD electric highway, and so on.
Definitely an adapter coming for MS/MX cars, at least in Europe. No reason to think they wouldn’t do the same here.
This quote is from a Tesla spokesperson “In advance of Model 3 rollout in Europe, we will be retrofitting our existing Superchargers with dual charge cables to enable Model 3 which will come with a CCS Combo 2 charge port, to use the Tesla Supercharger network. Model S and Model X customers will continue to have full access to the network and a CCS Combo 2 adapter will soon be available to purchase, if desired.”

So what happens then with all the destination chargers and domestic HPWC ? Are they going to change all the cables on these? I have an S and X and I will want a model 3. Am I going to have to install a new HPWC for Model 3?

They all use AC, and the AC charging components of the old connector and the CCS2 connector are identical :)

IMG_20181230_155737.jpg

I convinced him to move - he knew it was for Tesla charging but thought he should park there anyhow.
Didn't much like the fact I had obviously taken a photo of him. 1 down 25,000,000 to go.

It's [ICEing] gunna get worse before it gets better if this is any indication.

https://electrek.co/2019/01/01/tesla-pickup-truck-drivers-supercharger-protest/
Encouring thing is I searched for this article on the Daily Mail website (very right-wing UK newspaper), then sorted the comments by highest rating.
The overwhelming majority of the most liked comments were those against this behaviour.
When even the readers of the daily mail are against this behaviour I think we are going to be OK.

Reactions: aegidius and Mark E
For those who aren't aware, the Europeans have a shared Google spreadsheet where they track which sites (and how many stalls) have been converted to dual CCS2 cables. - Tracker CCS on Superchargers

I was going to try to contact the admin to ask if a blank duplicate sheet could be set up for Australian/New Zealand locations - in advance of the Model 3 rollout starting here. I just had a look today and it seems the Aus/NZ locations have been added to the bottom of this list already!

Please save a link to that spreadsheet and when the first Aussie/NZ CCS supercharger pops up, please remember to update it!

I was going to try to contact the admin to ask if a blank duplicate sheet could be set up for Australian/New Zealand locations - in advance of the Model 3 rollout starting here. I just had a look today and it seems the Aus/NZ locations have been added to the bottom of this list already!

Please save a link to that spreadsheet and when the first Aussie/NZ CCS supercharger pops up, please remember to update it!

That's great. I hope the end goal is to upgrade all stalls with CCS2 because I've already seen videos of model 3s waiting to charge because an S has used the wrong stalls.

That's great. I hope the end goal is to upgrade all stalls with CCS2 because I've already seen videos of model 3s waiting to charge because an S has used the wrong stalls.

I think in Europe they were converting 4-6 stalls per site initially, as they wanted to get as much coverage as possible with CCS, and it was better to do 4 stalls at 5 sites, rather than 20 stalls at one site.

Most Aussie sites are only 4 or 6 stalls total, so it's easier to just do the whole lot at once.