Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Superchargers in Australia

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Red bits will be tricky. Across the Nullarbor (Ceduna to Norseman - 1200km) for example, where diesel generators rule I am assuming they will have to put in something like Tesla Megapack(s) and a solar / wind farm at each of the current refuelling sites in order to have DC fast charging. When electric semis start appearing the demand for power will skyrocket, a Tesla semi will have to recharge at least once along this stretch.

Yeah, that's why I left the long remote stretches until 3rd tier. It will be a significantly different format of site. Either an entirely off-grid pallet style one (designed to deal with no solid grid connection, and also low volumes of traffic) or it will integrate a solar/battery system with the roadhouse/building which hosts it.

It will also be interesting to see what happens commercially. It's OK for Tesla, Chargefox, Evie and NRMA to all have sites on the Hume Highway. But there isn't space for more than one network (financially or logistically) across the Nullarbor. I'd like to see something - which hasn't been done anywhere else in the world to my knowledge - a joint venture between Tesla and one of the public networks. I don't just mean a supercharger and a Tritium co-locate at one site, but charging units that are co-branded and functional for Teslas and all other EVs. They should seamlessly appear as part of Tesla's supercharger map, but are usable by other EVs - plus of course support for Type 2 Teslas.

Yes I think there will also have to be government (assuming at some point we have a government that knows what an EV is) support as well for these remote sites. A big battery plus solar / wind farm could also power these remote communities which would help them get off generators.
Carting fuel for generators and for selling at fuel pumps must cost a fortune (reflected in pump prices in remote areas), I wonder if this is subsidised now by government.
There are about 500 vehicles a day going across the Nullarbor, half of which are commercial vehicles - Location SA Viewer

The Australian supercharge map is now showing a charger under construction in Brisbane. Given that it has it's own marker, I'm guessing it will be away from the existing service center, but I assume the shown location isn't final as the marker is in the middle of a pedestrian area.

The marker is on Queen Street near Albert Street. Maybe either the Myer Centre or Queens Plaza carparks, because there's not a huge amount of available street space? Unless the pin is just a very general "Brisbane CBD" indicator.
It looks like a general pin drop to me, and that location is about bang in the middle of the CBD. My bet is the final location will be in or near a large shopping centre in the suburbs.

The marker is on Queen Street near Albert Street. Maybe either the Myer Centre or Queens Plaza carparks, because there's not a huge amount of available street space? Unless the pin is just a very general "Brisbane CBD" indicator.
As the marker for the supercharger that ended up in Jerry's Plains was originally on Singleton, I'm assuming that it's just showing a central location for the city.
I'm not sure where a good location would be, only that it'd be best if easily accessible to people passing through, without having to come into the inner city.

Side note - I noticed a property development in West Melbourne mentioned "Tesla charging stations". It's likely to be destination chargers, not superchargers, however a document from the developer to the council - from 2016 - did mention "super charge station for electric cars in collaboration with Tesla".

It's quite common for those outside the EV world to mix up superchargers and destination chargers, so I won't make a new thread just yet. But thought I'd give a heads up in case anyone knows more. I've emailed them to confirm and am currently waiting on a reply.

image.png

If it is a supercharger, here's where it would be relative to Moonee Ponds, Richmond and the proposed Frankston location:

upload_2020-1-9_11-51-27.png

The pin for the Frankston Supercharger on the Tesla map is actually shown along the M11 near Cranbourne Frankston Rd. This could put it somewhere in the carpark for Karingal Hub Shopping Centre. I know its likely to change but a location closer to the M11 makes more sense than in Frankston itself.

Yeah, I hadn't noticed that the pin was away from the usual "centre of the locality name" spot for new sites. Probably a hint they are focusing on those travelling to/from the peninsula. Those who live near that shopping centre may want to keep their eyes open!

Yeah, I hadn't noticed that the pin was away from the usual "centre of the locality name" spot for new sites. Probably a hint they are focusing on those travelling to/from the peninsula. Those who live near that shopping centre may want to keep their eyes open!

There is a large redevelopment planned at Karingal hub over the next 18 mths (Karingal Hub Redevelopment Proceeding - Karingal Hub).

I hadn't noticed that either. Until 2 weeks ago I was living at the other end of Karingal drive and was there all the time.
The development has been rumored to be coming for years, it went though council last year so it looks like 2020 is finally the year it happens.

There should be a supercharger at Mount Gambier & one between Lakes Entrance & Narooma
FYI, Melbourne is projected to be Australia’s biggest city by 2035

Agree the spacing looks pretty perfect for those locations. I guess they want to get the first few right before doing more - if they have to adjust (random example) Traralgon/Lakes Entrances to Warragul/Sale then they might prefer different towns on the gap towards Narooma.

Interestingly enough the Mt Gambier Council was aware of the need for EV charging, particularly Tesla superchargers, several years ago - https://s3-ap-southeast-2.amazonaws...l-Sustainability-Sub-Committee-05-04-2016.pdf

between Lakes Entrance & Narooma

Cann River! There is space next to the United servo with high voltage lines and a transformer just across the road. Also it is at the Princes Highway / Monaro Highway junction.
Also be nice if they actually finished (or even started) Lakes Entrance and Traralgon.
What is going on with new Superchargers in Oz, seems to be no real push to expand the network with any urgency.

Reactions: mike_j
What is going on with new Superchargers in Oz, seems to be no real push to expand the network with any urgency.

Currently two under construction, Harwood (NSW) and Toowoomba; rumours of one coming to Macquarie Park (to replace St Leonards) and rumours of one being currently under construction in Geelong area (but not spotted yet). Most interesting part is that the Harwood one was approved by council in November, had probably started site works before the end of 2019, yet it wasn't added to the Tesla map as a coming soon marker when the Jan 2020 update was made. This says to me that Tesla has many more planned sites are not on the coming soon map.

Moral of the story, keep your eyes open!

Side note - I noticed a property development in West Melbourne mentioned "Tesla charging stations".

Got a reply from the sales guy, and I can confirm that either the builder OR the sales guy doesn't know what they're doing. Superchargers for residents only, if true, is a waste of resources.

Hi Charles and thank you for you very interesting email regarding the proposed charging stations for “West End”.

I can advise the following:

The stations will be for the use of residents only and not the general public.

I believe the chargers will be the “Superchargers.

Kind regards,

Got a reply from the sales guy, and I can confirm that either the builder OR the sales guy doesn't know what they're doing. Superchargers for residents only, if true, is a waste of resources.
I suspect it’s unfamiliarity with the terminology and any electric car charging point is a “supercharger”. Most likely a Tesla destination charger.