Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Superchargers in Australia

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
coming soon' superchargers are listed at Perth, Traralgon, Lakes Entrance, Mansfield, Torquay, Frankston and Brisbane.

And Harwood NSW which is known about but construction delayed.

And discussion on Sydney (Western Suburbs), or even frankly Southern.

Agree that Perth needs some, and will be interesting to see if they build north of Gympie (which itself was a surprise) or rely on the Qld EV Highway.

Last edited:
Three years and waiting for a SC to be opened near base of Mt Buller (such as in Mansfield) like promised....if Tesla do not have in by next Winter we may start to regret being a fully 2x EV household....come on Tesla you can do better than this!

The below has been updated each year since 2017!
Mansfield | Tesla Australia

does Mt buller have the population to support a service centre? Thought mt buller only has like 5-10k people living around it?

does Mt buller have the population to support a service centre? Thought mt buller only has like 5-10k people living around it?

Melbourne to Mt Buller road is used by 10's of thousands of Melburnians (which include Tesla drivers) each Winter season going to/from Mt Buller.....that's the whole point of needing a SC in/around this location which is why it was promised and assigned a "coming soon...." anchor by Tesla 3 years ago....

Last edited:
Melbourne to Mt Buller road is used by 10's of thousands of Melburnians (which include Tesla drivers) each Winter season going to/from Mt Buller.....that's the whole point of needing a SC in/around this location which is why it was promised and assigned a "coming soon...." anchor by Tesla 3 years ago....
Clearly Telsa Australia has embraced Elon Musk’s elastic concept of “soon” :D

NSW was somewhat of a DCFC desert when I placed my order for Model 3 (there was only one non-Tesla DCFC in the state), but that has changed a lot over the last 2 years. I can appreciate that S/X owners would be relatively unimpressed with the drip-feed of new SCs in NSW over that time, but as a Model 3 owner I am much less anxious about Tesla’s SC rollout than I was when I ordered the car given the rapid growth of third party CCS2 chargers which mostly seem to work.

Those in the USA are not nearly as well served in that regard. Lots of SCs, but their third party networks are not Tesla friendly, by and large.

Surely it can’t be long here before new S/X come with a CCS2 port.

Reactions: moa999
So 50 business days until the end of 2020.
Do we think we will see any of the 2020 planned sites actually open?

Well they certainly have form for end of year rushes!

upload_2020-10-19_18-31-47.png

upload_2020-10-19_18-31-58.png

upload_2020-10-19_18-32-13.png

It's rather unfortunate that 2019 was pretty heavily focused in NSW, and this year was looking like Victoria's turn (5 of the 7 grey "coming soon" pins are in Vic), but then Victoria ended up being hardest hit by travel restrictions.

Being glass half full, I would hope that the delay is because they don't want to install V2 units when V3s are coming.

I wonder if the huge increase in public 350 kW fast chargers has also affected the rollout? Tesla aren't seeing as much demand so they aren't installing more superchargers? [My thoughts - Tesla shouldn't use this as an excuse until they get these ultra-rapid networks integrated into the nav system]

yes. 6 arrived in Australia Q3. They will go somewhere. I post all of the superchargers exported globally from the US on the ships each week via twitter.

I went looking for your tweet to see if it was 6 cabinets maybe.. sadly, it was 6 stalls! You'd think if they had 2-3 sites they get them all shipped in at once. So maybe only 1 site before the end of the year (assuming no other gear is shipped in). Do you have any info as to whether they were V2 (CCS2 + Type 2 cables) or V3 (just CCS2) stalls?

My personal prediction is that the first V3 sites will be at approximately: Wangaratta, Yass, Bulahdelah and Harwood. Each of these is approx 250km-300km from Melbourne, Sydney (to the west), Sydney (to the north) or Brisbane respectively. My logic:

• Existing sites are about 180-200 km between SCs, but ranges of Teslas these days are on average higher, 180-200 km is a bit too early for the first stop.
  • Ensures it is more likely that vehicles will be at a lower SOC upon reaching the site.
  • Provides additional density across these major routes.
  • No harm making them V3 (CCS2 only), since the V2 sites already exist for those that can't use CCS2.
  • V2 sites can act as "backup" sites.
  • Harwood site is already under construction, but has been stagnant for a while. Waiting for V3 hardware?

Reactions: baillies and moa999
I went looking for your tweet to see if it was 6 cabinets maybe.. sadly, it was 6 stalls! You'd think if they had 2-3 sites they get them all shipped in at once. So maybe only 1 site before the end of the year (assuming no other gear is shipped in). Do you have any info as to whether they were V2 (CCS2 + Type 2 cables) or V3 (just CCS2) stalls?

My personal prediction is that the first V3 sites will be at approximately: Wangaratta, Yass, Bulahdelah and Harwood. Each of these is approx 250km-300km from Melbourne, Sydney (to the west), Sydney (to the north) or Brisbane respectively. My logic:

• Existing sites are about 180-200 km between SCs, but ranges of Teslas these days are on average higher, 180-200 km is a bit too early for the first stop.
  • Ensures it is more likely that vehicles will be at a lower SOC upon reaching the site.
  • Provides additional density across these major routes.
  • No harm making them V3 (CCS2 only), since the V2 sites already exist for those that can't use CCS2.
  • V2 sites can act as "backup" sites.
  • Harwood site is already under construction, but has been stagnant for a while. Waiting for V3 hardware?

i don’t have any evidence on version. The hundreds to Europe the last few months have coincided with V3 popping up.

• Informative
Reactions: Chuq
oh boy 52c/kwh for what is a non profit generating charging station is pretty steep. Not as expensive as Evie but still...

Makes you wonder if they're taking a bath on network/connection charges.

Some back-of-the-envelope math shows that the if the Harwood site ends up being V3 Supercharger with only one cabinet, it'll still need more power than the rest of the village combined, so you'd think Tesla might be looking at a pricey install there.

Reactions: Hairyman
Makes you wonder if they're taking a bath on network/connection charges.

Some back-of-the-envelope math shows that the if the Harwood site ends up being V3 Supercharger with only one cabinet, it'll still need more power than the rest of the village combined, so you'd think Tesla might be looking at a pricey install there.

i dont think anyone would mind if tesla installs gen 1 style superchargers i.e. 80kw if that means theyll expand to FNQ and maybe central QLD/NT.