TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Superchargers in Australia

Discussion in 'Australia' started by JOH, Aug 21, 2014.

1. Techno-phile

Techno-phile S100D, P3D- in garage

We now have about 90 Teslas per supercharger bay in WA, over twice the normal average.
    And our only location is 200kms south of Perth.

The cars always try to plan long trips via this supercharger near Bunbury, then give up!

2. moa999

moa999 Member

#562 moa999, Sep 8, 2020
    Last edited: Sep 8, 2020
    And Harwood NSW which is known about but construction delayed.

And discussion on Sydney (Western Suburbs), or even frankly Southern.

Agree that Perth needs some, and will be interesting to see if they build north of Gympie (which itself was a surprise) or rely on the Qld EV Highway.

3. Candleflame

Candleflame Active Member

does Mt buller have the population to support a service centre? Thought mt buller only has like 5-10k people living around it?

4. EcoCloudIT

EcoCloudIT Active Member

#564 EcoCloudIT, Sep 8, 2020
    Last edited: Sep 8, 2020
    Melbourne to Mt Buller road is used by 10's of thousands of Melburnians (which include Tesla drivers) each Winter season going to/from Mt Buller.....that's the whole point of needing a SC in/around this location which is why it was promised and assigned a "coming soon...." anchor by Tesla 3 years ago....

5. cafz

cafz Member

You guys are talking past each other because EcoCloudIT writes SC to mean "Supercharger" and Candleflame read it to mean "Service Centre".

• Like x 3
  6. EcoCloudIT

EcoCloudIT Active Member

You're right, thanks @cafz, however we are on a Super Charger (SC) thread....

7. Vostok

Vostok Active Member

Clearly Telsa Australia has embraced Elon Musk’s elastic concept of “soon” :D

NSW was somewhat of a DCFC desert when I placed my order for Model 3 (there was only one non-Tesla DCFC in the state), but that has changed a lot over the last 2 years. I can appreciate that S/X owners would be relatively unimpressed with the drip-feed of new SCs in NSW over that time, but as a Model 3 owner I am much less anxious about Tesla’s SC rollout than I was when I ordered the car given the rapid growth of third party CCS2 chargers which mostly seem to work.

Those in the USA are not nearly as well served in that regard. Lots of SCs, but their third party networks are not Tesla friendly, by and large.

Surely it can’t be long here before new S/X come with a CCS2 port.

• Like x 1
  8. Hovean

Hovean Member

SC = supercharger!

9. RareEarth

RareEarth Member

Got the CCS2 update done for our X yesterday. With the CCS2 converter in the froot with all of the other adapters / cables there isn't much we can't plug into.
    Perhaps any major S/X update will include CCS2 outside NA.

• Like x 1
  10. moa999

moa999 Member

So 50 business days until the end of 2020.
    Do we think we will see any of the 2020 planned sites actually open?

11. Chuq

Chuq Active Member

Well they certainly have form for end of year rushes!

upload_2020-10-19_18-31-47.png

upload_2020-10-19_18-31-58.png

upload_2020-10-19_18-32-13.png

It's rather unfortunate that 2019 was pretty heavily focused in NSW, and this year was looking like Victoria's turn (5 of the 7 grey "coming soon" pins are in Vic), but then Victoria ended up being hardest hit by travel restrictions.

Being glass half full, I would hope that the delay is because they don't want to install V2 units when V3s are coming.

I wonder if the huge increase in public 350 kW fast chargers has also affected the rollout? Tesla aren't seeing as much demand so they aren't installing more superchargers? [My thoughts - Tesla shouldn't use this as an excuse until they get these ultra-rapid networks integrated into the nav system]

12. Vostok

Vostok Active Member

I have no evidence, but my hunch is - almost certainly.

13. Vedaprime

Vedaprime Member

yes. 6 arrived in Australia Q3. They will go somewhere. I post all of the superchargers exported globally from the US on the ships each week via twitter.

• Informative x 3
  14. QBN_PC

QBN_PC Member

And here we go again. Supercharger rates just went up to 52c per kWh.

Supercharging

• Disagree x 1
  15. Chuq

Chuq Active Member

I went looking for your tweet to see if it was 6 cabinets maybe.. sadly, it was 6 stalls! You'd think if they had 2-3 sites they get them all shipped in at once. So maybe only 1 site before the end of the year (assuming no other gear is shipped in). Do you have any info as to whether they were V2 (CCS2 + Type 2 cables) or V3 (just CCS2) stalls?

My personal prediction is that the first V3 sites will be at approximately: Wangaratta, Yass, Bulahdelah and Harwood. Each of these is approx 250km-300km from Melbourne, Sydney (to the west), Sydney (to the north) or Brisbane respectively. My logic:

• Existing sites are about 180-200 km between SCs, but ranges of Teslas these days are on average higher, 180-200 km is a bit too early for the first stop.
    • Ensures it is more likely that vehicles will be at a lower SOC upon reaching the site.
    • Provides additional density across these major routes.
    • No harm making them V3 (CCS2 only), since the V2 sites already exist for those that can't use CCS2.
    • V2 sites can act as "backup" sites.
    • Harwood site is already under construction, but has been stagnant for a while. Waiting for V3 hardware?

• Like x 2
  16. Candleflame

oh boy 52c/kwh for what is a non profit generating charging station is pretty steep. Not as expensive as Evie but still...

17. Vedaprime

Vedaprime Member

i don’t have any evidence on version. The hundreds to Europe the last few months have coincided with V3 popping up.

• Informative x 1
  18. QBN_PC

QBN_PC Member

I just checked and found I’ve already recharged twice at the higher tariff. Ugh! 9078B763-B1EB-4E30-BB35-78A08A78F7A6.jpeg

• Disagree x 1
  19. cafz

cafz Member

Makes you wonder if they're taking a bath on network/connection charges.

Some back-of-the-envelope math shows that the if the Harwood site ends up being V3 Supercharger with only one cabinet, it'll still need more power than the rest of the village combined, so you'd think Tesla might be looking at a pricey install there.

• Like x 1
  20. Candleflame

i dont think anyone would mind if tesla installs gen 1 style superchargers i.e. 80kw if that means theyll expand to FNQ and maybe central QLD/NT.