Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Superchargers in Australia

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I could have done Gundagai - Holbrook - Melboure instead of Gundagai - Albury - Euroa - Melbourne.
Why did you need to stop in Euroa? If you can get from Holbrook to Melbourne then you can certainly get from Wodonga to Melbourne.

It would cut out one stop for an SR+ between Melbourne and Canberra though - Euroa-Holbrook-Canberra rather than Euroa-Wodonga-Gundagai-Canberra.

Tesla map refresh!

New ones for 2022 that I can see:

NSW: Holbrook, Newcastle, Armidale, Tenterfield
Qld: South Brisbane, Rockhampton
WA: Perth
Tas: Hobart

These are on top of what existed previously so that makes 2 coming for both Brisbane and Perth.

Strange that the Devonport one isn't listed, but Tesla has done that in the past.

Newcastle is nice, given it is Australia’s 6th largest city. Zooming in on the map, assuming the pin is roughly in the area they are considering, it is well located.

Holbrook is good too for people with smaller batteries. My wife did Melbourne to Sydney stopping only twice, but more options and redundancy is 👍

My guess is Holbrook is going to be reasonably high capacity V3 site. Seems to be perfectly located (390 km from Melbourne) for 3/Y LR, S/X 90-100 kWh, S/X Plaid and base level Cybertruck to leave Melbourne and be at a low SOC (optimal for fast charging) when arriving.

Coming the other direction, it's about 490 km from Sydney, ideal for the really long range models (tri-motor Cybertruck, Roadster - well, maybe even the Roadster won't need it, depends how much you floor it up the mountains towards Goulburn I guess!)

• Informative
Reactions: Chenkers
I saw Childers mentioned somewhere else as well for this one, can't recall where though!
Looking closer at Childers, the dot appears to be not in the general centre of the town name but specifically at a particular site ... which appears to be a McDonalds.

Of course the Tesla map has been inaccurate before, so this wouldn't be locked in without additional confirmation.

Why did you need to stop in Euroa? If you can get from Holbrook to Melbourne then you can certainly get from Wodonga to Melbourne.

It would cut out one stop for an SR+ between Melbourne and Canberra though - Euroa-Holbrook-Canberra rather than Euroa-Wodonga-Gundagai-Canberra.
Oh yeah, it’s Gundagai I could have skipped.
Syd - Goulburn - Holbrook - Euroa - Mel
Instead of
Syd - Goulburn - Gundagai - Albury - Euroa - Mel

So three stops instead of four.
I’m going to appreciate that LR Model S next year.

Here's an interesting observation...

The Toombul site - has 2x V3 cabinets - has 6 spaces marked off
The Corio (Geelong) site - has footings for 6 stalls, and footings for 2 cabinets of one size, and 1 other cabinet. V2 would need 3 cabinets, so likely 2 V3 cabinets
The East Devonport site - has 1x V3 cabinet, has 3 stalls

In each case it's a consistent 3 stalls per cabinet, not 4 per cabinet like most in North America or Europe.

Now if you look at China - especially the V3 sites - they are also consistently multiples of 3: Quite a few are 9, 12, 15 or 21.

I'm not sure if there's a technical difference with the Chinese/Australian power grids, or Tesla has just decided to make that the standard with future installs, or something else.

What’s the most you have driven in one hit without stopping, at any time in your life?
If you mean in my Tesla, I've driven about 400km and arrived with 0km range and power limiter down to about 50kW.
If you mean in my pre-EV life, I frequently drove Sydney to Melbourne without stopping (diesel SUV), and Coffs Harbour to Melbourne stopping for 5 minutes for fuel.

Are the Superchargers manufactured in China now too? Possibly a slightly different design (V3.1?)
I was about to say, the only way to check would be to wait until one of them was installed and we could go and look at the labels, then it occurred to me that there is only one such installed cabinet in the country and it's in my state! I guess for once it's my job! :-O

Reactions: technerdx6000
In each case it's a consistent 3 stalls per cabinet, not 4 per cabinet like most in North America or Europe.

Now if you look at China - especially the V3 sites - they are also consistently multiples of 3: Quite a few are 9, 12, 15 or 21.

I'm not sure if there's a technical difference with the Chinese/Australian power grids, or Tesla has just decided to make that the standard with future installs, or something else.
It's probably because the number 4 is unlucky in China. Anyone with local knowledge would know that & make sure they use a different multiple regardless of whether it's technically ideal.

It's probably because the number 4 is unlucky in China. Anyone with local knowledge would know that & make sure they use a different multiple regardless of whether it's technically ideal.
I'd considered this, but while 4 is unlucky, multiples of 4 aren't: in particular 8 is a lucky number. So that wouldn't really explain the other multiple-of-three sites?

Reactions: moa999

Funny, that is exactly what I thought when I saw all the ones in China like this! But then I noticed it happening in other regions as well.

I frequently drove Sydney to Melbourne without stopping (diesel SUV), and Coffs Harbour to Melbourne stopping for 5 minutes for fuel.
This is getting off-topic, but were you driving solo? I cannot conceive of driving Sydney-Melbourne without stopping at all - even with a second driver. That’s a 9+ hour drive depending on the traffic and if speed limits are obeyed.

No matter how good a driver thinks they are, driving 9 hours without a break is irresponsible, unsafe and goes against all road safety recommendations that drivers should have a break at least every 2 hours.

If you were driving a heavy vehicle, you would be committing a serious offence doing something like this, punishable with very heavy fines, from $4470 up. A Sydney-Melbourne drive, under the Heavy Vehicle National Law (HVNL), requires a minimum of two separate 15 minute breaks.

Reactions: Anubis
This is getting off-topic, but were you driving solo? I cannot conceive of driving Sydney-Melbourne without stopping at all - even with a second driver. That’s a 9+ hour drive depending on the traffic and if speed limits are obeyed.

No matter how good a driver thinks they are, driving 9 hours without a break is irresponsible, unsafe and goes against all road safety recommendations that drivers should have a break at least every 2 hours.

If you were driving a heavy vehicle, you would be committing a serious offence doing something like this, punishable with very heavy fines, from $4470 up. A Sydney-Melbourne drive, under the Heavy Vehicle National Law (HVNL), requires a minimum of two separate 15 minute breaks.

I find it a piece of cake, and not the least bit fatiguing.
I certainly stop and rest if I'm tired, but I've always had a high tolerance for long drives. Maybe a product of growing up in rural NSW, I'd done about 200,000km before I was 20 and still do about 50,000km/yr.