Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Superchargers in Australia

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
There is confirmation that a Supercharger is been built at the Coles carpark in Moe.
0ED2B0FD-CC3A-4271-815C-06A3BA84F54D.png

Apologies if this is covered recently but I notice on PlugShare that there are now superchargers in karrinyup but they are only CCS plugs. Is this a thing? Have I waited 6 years to get a supercharger within 200km of me so I can finally use some of my free for life supercharging privileges only to find that my car isn’t even compatible with superchargers anymore?

Apologies if this is covered recently but I notice on PlugShare that there are now superchargers in karrinyup but they are only CCS plugs. Is this a thing? Have I waited 6 years to get a supercharger within 200km of me so I can finally use some of my free for life supercharging privileges only to find that my car isn’t even compatible with superchargers anymore?
Many new Superchargers are the V3 and are only equipped with CCS2 plugs. To use these plugs on a Model S or Model X you need to get the CCS2 adapter and depending on the age of your car it may need some hardware upgrades performed by the service centre as well. I got it done some time ago and it was about $800 for the adapter and upgrade for my 2014 Model S, but the price has come down somewhat since. Its a good update as it allows you to use non Tesla CCS2 chargers and the CCS2 adapter is much smaller than the CHADEMO adapter.

Last edited:
Many new Superchargers are the V3 and are only equipped with CCS2 plugs. To use these plugs on a Model S or Model X you need to get the CCS2 adapter and depending on the age of your car it may need some hardware upgrades performed by the service centre as well. I got it done some time ago and it was about $800 for the adapter and upgrade for my 2014 Model S, but the price has come down somewhat since. Its a good update as it allows you to use non Tesla CCS2 chargers and the CCS2 adapter is much smaller than the CHADEMO adapter.
Thanks. At that price it’s probably not worth it for me. Disappointing. But don’t want to take this thread off on a tangent.

So after the details about the Taree location were revealed, I went looking for any details on other sites (particularly Holbrook, which is on Tesla's map, but I didn't find anything).

I had a chat with @moa999 who was doing the same thing, and found out Tesla is also looking at Yass (not on their map!) and there was some discussion at a recent council meeting about it. Council weren't happy with the proposed location. So while there isn't really enough info for a thread or supercharge.info marker yet, it's one to keep an eye on.

Agenda (where council offers recommended support): Agenda of Ordinary Council Meeting - Wednesday, 28 July 2021
Minutes (where the council voted against): Minutes of Ordinary Council Meeting - Wednesday, 28 July 2021
Meeting video:

TOCA President Tippo has announced on FB that there is currently a supercharger under construction in the Sutherland Shire area. Only hint is that it’s not at the new Miranda showroom/service centre. I’m guessing many won’t be able to go out looking due to travel restrictions but if you can, why not get hunting!

(Once the location is known, please make a new thread here as well)

Fantastic! There’s no DC charging in Sydney anywhere that’s south of the latte line! This will make my weekend visits there infinitely easier. No need to run the extension lead out to street parking! Almost all of the neighbours are cool with it, but one of them was unhappy a month or two ago.

I’d be very surprised if it’s Miranda Fair though. Their car park is grossly inadequate for general usage, so any spaces given over to superchargers would be ICEd constantly. Same for Parkside Miranda

Now that you mention it, I’m 60% sure it’ll be Kirrawee Village (which is, confusingly, just south of Kirrawee South Village).

* There are already 4 Chargefox three-phase chargers there on the south wall of its basement car park, underneath Woolworths, so the site owners already have charging in their MO.

* The centre of the driveway between the street and the eastern end of the car park was dug up for about two weeks - it was only re-paved over a few days ago. I wasn’t sure why, but maybe they were installing a higher capacity feeder?

* Theres unfinished construction activity along the eastern wall of the car park. Been going on since the driveway was dug up. Furthest edge of the car park from the travelator entrance, so unlikely to be ICEd. Seems to cover several car spaces.

Until you mentioned this I wouldn’t have guessed this activity was for more chargers, let alone superchargers, but it fits.

Aside from being wild speculation on my part, the main reason why I’m not more than 60% that it’s there is that the car park is currently locked after 11pm. Tesla wants 24 hour access for its superchargers. The centre might be antsy about leaving the roller doors open at night. Not that it’s a bad neighbourhood. Not at all. But it’s brand new and shiny.

Southgate is also possible. It’s not as busy as Miranda and as a lesser centre it’s desperate for relevance. The bowling alley might be cool for 40 minutes too!

Went hunting for the DA.
Original approval was for 7 spots along the south wall where the Chargefox units are.

If you're back in the area, please take some photos.
That's interesting. One of the replies on FB was "Its on Kingsway, in Miranda. It's almost directly across the road from the Diggers Miranda RSL." - which looks like Westfield Miranda - and the response from Tippo wasn't a "no" but "please provide photographic evidence" ?

(Side note - there was a prize of a TOCA cap for the first person to provide photos, hence the response :) )

Perhaps anyone who goes looking could check both locations?

Reactions: Hairyman