Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Superchargers in Australia

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
For Victoria, Castlemaine & Bendigo are very popular for stop overs & day trips. Why drive in to Richmond when you can have a great scenic drive on the way (through the "esses") to, and around Castlemaine. Then supercharge over lunch and coffee?

For Victoria, Castlemaine & Bendigo are very popular for stop overs & day trips. Why drive in to Richmond when you can have a great scenic drive on the way (through the "esses") to, and around Castlemaine. Then supercharge over lunch and coffee?

I think they have Supercharging in Richmond mainly to support deliveries and getting the cars charged up before delivery. Also for marketing purposes.

But I think you're right absolutely Davide - the real benefit of SCs is in their ability to facilitate beautiful scenic drives.

I think they have Supercharging in Richmond mainly to support deliveries and getting the cars charged up before delivery. Also for marketing purposes.

But I think you're right absolutely Davide - the real benefit of SCs is in their ability to facilitate beautiful scenic drives.

Which makes Apollo Bay & Warrnambool (on & at the end of the Great Ocean Road), and Dunkeld (perhaps at the Royal Mail Hotel - of fine food fame) at the Southern edge of the Grampians, as very worthy spots for SC's.

Distances on the Melbourne-Sydney route:

Melbourne-Seymour: 112km
Seymour-Albury: 221km
Albury-Gundagai: 178km
Gundagai-Goulburn: 181km
Goulburn-Sydney: 195km

The only real outlier here is the Melbourne-Seymour distance, and I guess that is to allow people who live significantly south of the city. eg. Geelong, Mornington or Dandenong.

If heading west, Ballarat is a similar distance from Melbourne (113km) and on the way to Adelaide.

Bendigo is within range of Ballarat, Melbourne and Seymour. It would probably be on the cards after Adelaide (including the link to Melbourne) and Perth are done.

Can any NSW/Qld locals advise if these locations look accurate:

Sydney
Tuggerah
Tarro
Taree
Macksville
Grafton
Ewingsdale
Brisbane
Cooroy

When comparing to the official map?

tesla-map.jpg

A bit hard to tell at that resolution, but it looks more like Newcastle and Bulladelah to me

Yeah, it really is hard to work out especially the ones close to Sydney. Tarro is a Newcastle suburb (I just picked one on the highway and close to junctions to other highways.) I tried moving the Taree one to Bulladelah but that puts the distance to the next one at >230km :-/

Anyone get an update to 6.1 yet? Seems like the UK were first off the mark

No software update appeared as yet....

Whilst I am on does anyone else have issues with their drivers door not closing properly each time you shut it from outside the car (is never an issue when pulling closed from inside) I am trying to decide if it needs adjusting slightly or if I am just being too gentle with my new baby?!

Whilst I am on does anyone else have issues with their drivers door not closing properly each time you shut it from outside the car (is never an issue when pulling closed from inside) I am trying to decide if it needs adjusting slightly or if I am just being too gentle with my new baby?!

I've found that I needed to push it closed harder and I think it's due to the door weighing a lot loss than my old car door. However, it probably can be improved.

DITTO - assumed that this can be improved with some minor adjustment - when the service centre opens eventually in Melbourne.....frunk is also a little proud so needs minor adjustment to latch as well.

No issue closing, although I have beaten the window dropping mechanism when opening quickly. I'm used to Aluminium doors though - my 928 has them, as well as the bonnet and guards.

Hey Chuq, I think Tassie is different when it comes to supercharging needs.
I'd prefer a service centre with super chargers. One in Hobart and one in launceston.
I assume we will at least have a service centre in Hobart by the time model 3 gets released.

Hey Chuq, I think Tassie is different when it comes to supercharging needs.
I'd prefer a service centre with super chargers. One in Hobart and one in launceston.
I assume we will at least have a service centre in Hobart by the time model 3 gets released.

People living in Hobart would be charging at home and would be starting with a full 400km charge. They would be able to travel pretty much the entire southern part of the state (Cockle Creek, Port Arthur, Strathgordon, Ouse, Campbell Town and Swansea are all well within 150km (or 300km return). It's really the people travelling in from somewhere else who don't have home chargers who would be needing the superchargers. The catch is with visitors who are staying in Hobart I guess - most of them stop overnight.

Proposed (fantasy?) supercharger network around Australia and NZ:

yNaAgNo.png

Assumptions: After the first two years, deployment rate doubles, then remains consistent for 3 years with slow increases for another 3 years. Note this is significantly slower than the US deployment!

Chargers are generally less than 200km apart. There are a few exceptions where this is stretched to 210km but only if necessary. I've reduced the range in clearly windy or hilly regions.

All chargers are in existing towns (with other services - motels, service stations, shops).

Note, the purple stations in Queensland originally went from Charters Towers to Mt Isa, but relocated 5 of them to their location as shown.

My thought is that by 2022 many things will have changed, battery capacity, charging speeds, and perhaps 200km won't be a limiting factor - then we can start the long desert highways!

Last edited:
G'day Chuq, Our small population (compared to the US) will be our nemisis - too much vacant space. What do you do in your spare time ?? Must be a geography teacher on summer holidays ? Not knocking on Evan(Beaver)'s door ? Good work !
It's fabulous to be part of the future of motoring - NOW ! Cheers, John.

G'day Chuq, Our small population (compared to the US) will be our nemisis - too much vacant space. What do you do in your spare time ?? Must be a geography teacher on summer holidays ? Not knocking on Evan(Beaver)'s door ? Good work !
It's fabulous to be part of the future of motoring - NOW ! Cheers, John.

Hehe, nice guess, I am a bit of a geography geek ... but no I work in IT.

Yeah, lots of empty space.. biggest towns not covered by this plan:

* NT: Alice Springs/Yulara, Tennant Creek, Nhulunbuy
* SA: Coober Pedy/Roxby Downs
* WA: Carnavon/Exmouth, Karratha/Port Hedland, Broome, Kunanurra
* Qld: Mt Isa/Cloncurry, Longreach/Charleville, Birdsville, Cooktown, Weipa
* NSW: Bourke

Also one to remember - travel to these places in a Tesla isn't impossible - you just need to be willing to stay overnight at somewhere with a power source every 400km or so!

- - - Updated - - -

Hi Chuq fantastic work! However given the price of superchargers and the amount of power they consume, I'm not sure if we will ever see even a fraction of those superchargers. Though we can live in hope!

I would agree if it wasn't for the massive expansion of the US supercharger network over the last year!