Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Superchargers in Australia

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Would DFO Homebush be an option?
Anywhere could be an option.
Just historically we've seen some site owners/developers be more open.

Personally wouldn't think DFO is a great option given the traffic issues that often exist around that site, despite its position near the freeways.

Bundaberg has been pushed back from Q4 2021 to Q3 2022
Rockhampton has been pushed back from Q1 2022 to Q3 2022.

Looks like they are updating site by site.
Wollongong also back to Q3 2022.. this one definitely wasn't earlier.
And Bundaberg still showing Q4 2021 for me.

Bairnsdale now Q4 2022 :-( (yet another pushback for this area)

Last edited:
  • Helpful
Reactions: scully and Vostok
More likely due to electrical issues (if you've ever dealt with grid operators you'd understand). You can easily progress nine steps down and then get told no.

So far delays seem to be.
Bundaberg, Qld - Q3 2022, back 3Q
Rockhampton, Qld - Q3 2022, back 2Q
Sydney (Central), NSW - Q2 2022, back 2Q
Wollongong, NSW - Q3 2022, back 3Q
Melbourne (Central), Vic - Q4 2022, back 4Q
Melbourne (East), Vic - Q2 2022, back 2Q
Bairnsdale, Vic - Q4 2022, back 4Q (and pushed back previously)

The other 9 pinned sites seem to be unchanged (at least for now). Sydney (East) is the only unchanged Q4 2021 site.

Wollongong will seemingly be covered by NRMA by mid-year, and Evie and East Gippsland Council can hopefully roll out some charging in Vic SE under the DCAV program.

Edit 1. Add Melbourne East.

Last edited:
I was going to say and Sydney (East) which was the last of the Q4 2021 sites, but no, it's now Q4 2022
(I'm still 50/50 about this being in Bondi Junction - Westfield or East Point, which is closer to the dot, or Zetland East Village, which is better located, owned by Mirvac but has existing Chargefox chargers)
And the edit window is expired in the above post.

Was also thinking the known council approved sites like Blaxland, Yass and Lancelin might get added in the next update.

Pretty disappointing to see the pushbacks. Still some real black holes in the network as well. With so many new Teslas hitting the road, could become challenging.

I wonder whether it would be worth Tesla subsidising businesses to install destination chargers, especially where rural. E.g. could we have some destination chargers between Mildura and Broken Hill? How about up the A1 coast?

It looks like some other countries (mostly US, Canada, South Korea, UAE) have had sites added to Tesla's map data, but not the map itself (yet).

e.g. in Canada:

Tesla Superchargers in Canada | Tesla shows:

1643874235764.png

But the map:

1643874257379.png

And similar examples in other areas.

I think if we see new sites appearing, they will show up first at Tesla Superchargers in Australia | Tesla before the map.

Reactions: cafz and Hairyman
Was also thinking the known council approved sites like Blaxland, Yass and Lancelin might get added in the next update.
Also a very good point (Taree as well!) Tesla isn't gaining anything by keeping them off the map when we know they are happening!

Also an observation, since Kirrawee has opened, this is the first time in almost a year that there isn't (to our knowledge) a single Australian supercharger site under construction!

Reactions: moa999
Where will the Taree Supercharger be located? I’ve used Evie a few times at the highway service centre.
See

Likely in town.

Reactions: Chuq
Certainly disapointed with this latest supercharger map update, I really though we would see plans of significant coverage increases. Yet all we seem to see are delays.

Some big routes that I would have expected is:

- the full Bruce Highway
- the Sydney-Adelaide corridor through Wagga Wagga, Hay, Mildua, Renmark etc (I know there are NRMA chargers).
- Pricnces Highway at say Orbost, Cann River, Eden etc.
- Newell Highway, Victoria to Queensland.
- Calder Highway, Melbourne to Mildura.

It looks like some other countries (mostly US, Canada, South Korea, UAE) have had sites added to Tesla's map data, but not the map itself (yet).

e.g. in Canada:

Tesla Superchargers in Canada | Tesla shows:

View attachment 764272

But the map:

View attachment 764273

And similar examples in other areas.

I think if we see new sites appearing, they will show up first at Tesla Superchargers in Australia | Tesla before the map.

Looks like those two sites are now on the map.

Reactions: Chuq
I see the Brisbane Indooroopilly Supercharger is now known as Brisbane (West), though interestingly no change to ETA - Q2 2022... so surely there must be something pretty solid lined up...

Possibly. It was originally a Q1 2021 dot in the same place, and then Toombul was a surprise opening and seemingly replaced it.

Would think somewhere in Indooroopilly SC is most likely.

From a post in the Wiki thread.

From the TOCA Facebook page today ...

"SUPERCHARGER HUNT
[redacted]
Okay, somewhere in the South Western region of this vast country of ours, work has commenced in a new Supercharger site.
[redacted]
Start searching!"

I can only assume this means WA.
Busselton/ Margaret River / Augusta region would make sense.

Another FB poster had suggested Albany, which is 250km from Williams

And we know previously there were some undisclosed WA sites.

Last edited: