Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Superchargers in California will be clogged in 12 months, unless?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
On my way out of the Yosemite, I stopped to check out the charging at the very nice Tanaya Lodge. Only 2 L2 hoses, but the Operations Manager told me they are planning to install 8 HPWC !, hopefully by this Fall
Wow that is good news. Currently they only have two J1772, if I remember correctly.

I hope Tenaya will let people charge who are not guests, even if they charge money for it that would be okay with me.

I told them that was a stupid waste of time, and the Tesla employee encouraged them to charge at home instead to save their time/money, but they weren't having any of it. I plugged in for 5 mins, and then left (cuz I only needed a few more miles), and they were astonished I would only get what I needed to get home. Mind blowing to me (and I noticed the Tesla guy do a face palm listening to the time-wasters).

Ridiculous. I wonder how they would react if you sat down with them and calculated exactly how little money they were saving and how much time they were wasting to save it.

Reactions: taldric
It is strange how the owner of a $90K+ car will spend significant time sitting at a Supercharger to save around $5.

Now, now, it's not $5.

An average driver does 16,500 miles per year (according to some random website I found), at 330wh/mi, that's 5,445kwh. Assuming that a kwh in CA costs $0.17, that's $925/year!

That's big money, in 5 years of ownership you can save $5k (add in cost to install outlet).

I'm not advocating for this, just saying it's not $5.

• Informative
Reactions: David99
I assume $5 refers to a single session, and it's a decent approximation. At my rates, my car costs about $10 to fill to 100%. Figure you might get half a charge out of an opportunistic Supercharger session, and that's $5.

17 cents/kWh is a bit more than I pay, but that's the right ballpark.

• Helpful
Reactions: SW2Fiddler
You guys are underestimating the cost of electricity here in CA. Here are some of my rate options:

image.png
And those tier 1 rates aren't enough to charge a car, they are barely enough to operate your house on a daily basis.

Now, if no one is home during the day, you can go on a time of use plan and only charge at night. But not everyone can do that.

image.png

So, it is more than $5 to charge

You guys are underestimating the cost of electricity here in CA. Here are some of my rate options:

View attachment 180008
And those tier 1 rates aren't enough to charge a car, they are barely enough to operate your house on a daily basis.

Now, if no one is home during the day, you can go on a time of use plan and only charge at night. But not everyone can do that.

View attachment 180009

So, it is more than $5 to charge
I wanted to put $0.25 as an average, but last time I did that, someone yelled at me that electricity isn't that expensive in CA.

• Funny
Reactions: SW2Fiddler
I wanted to put $0.25 as an average, but last time I did that, someone yelled at me that electricity isn't that expensive in CA.
Someone is almost always going to voice an opinion no matter what one says when you're trying to be expedient and just get the basic point across -- unless you put so many caveats around what you say that your posts become as long as mine generally are. ;)

Many people put up solar panels, or go on the TOU rates, which do let you charge your car cheaper. Most EV owners quickly move to one of those solutions after their first few eye watering power bills.

But for CA Tesla owners, they have an additional option: charge the car for free if they are close to a supercharger. If there was a supercharger in Palmdale, trust me, I would be very tempted to stop by on the way home from work to charge for free vs at home. Especially if it was somewhere I could grab dinner too.

I would be very tempted to stop by on the way home from work to charge for free vs at home. Especially if it was somewhere I could grab dinner too.
Eh, I have a SpC not too far from home, and when I was seeing if I can get by on just 110V (my commute was very short), I was forced to use the SpC a few times, and it was always such a pain.

in (real) NorCal my power was ~$0.25 average last month and we just hit summer pricing + I don't really charge at home ever so I would hit the top tier if I did and be well over $0.30/kWhr. And I added 440 watts of direct plugged solar panels for mid day base loads which drops use to ~20-60 watts on sunny afternoons
Scandalous power prices

If you live in CA, own your house, and have enough cash on hand to purchase solar panels, there is really no reason not to do so. I drive my 85D 100 miles daily for work and have racked up 16,000 miles since 10/2015. My solar panels went online 11/2015 and since then I have accumulated over $500 of credit with the electric company despite my high mileage, thanks to TOU rates. So I don't pay anything for fuel/electricity, aside for a $10 monthly flat fee to be connected to the grid. With the 30% tax credit and a $5000/year gas bill before I got the Tesla, the panels will pay for themselves in short order.

I still make stops at the supercharger near work when I am on call and can't go home, just to get out of the hospital for a bit. It has never been full, but if it gets crowded in the future then I will simply stop going. As others have said, it's not worth the time -- especially when I can charge for essentially free at home anyway. Thought I would add another data point for public discussion.

Now, now, it's not $5.

An average driver does 16,500 miles per year (according to some random website I found), at 330wh/mi, that's 5,445kwh. Assuming that a kwh in CA costs $0.17, that's $925/year!

That's big money, in 5 years of ownership you can save $5k (add in cost to install outlet).

Actually for us SoCal people, the $0.17 is only the Energy cost at the lowest tiers. The delivery cost can easily double that price. So i would estimate at least $0.30/KWh if you really want to be accurate. Also average annual mileage for petrol cars is 12,000 miles. I would venture the 16,500 miles per year average is for TESLA driver! LOL.

Base on your KWh numbers, it's closer to $1600 a year.

Now, now, it's not $5.

And for that $925/year, you will spend many hours sitting at a Supercharger that you would not spend if you charged at home. You are basically valuing your time at a few dollars an hour. Now if you are retired and are happy to sit for hour and save a few bucks then I suppose that makes sense, until you consider that the Superchargers are for long distance travel and you are blocking long distance travelers from charging and...we've had this conversation before in multiple threads.

View attachment 180008

Southern California Edison has a dedicated EV option at only $0.11 / kwhr - you get a separate account for the EV charger in your garage. That's the route I'm going.