Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Superchargers in California will be clogged in 12 months, unless?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Owning my Tesla in Tucson for 3 years, I have never needed a Supercharger in town. I just top off in Casa Grande if needed. Granted you can only go west or north in a Tesla from Tucson. You can not go east without taking a crazy route. I agree about driving to Texas but it would be nice to be able to drive to Santa Fe. I can't see the need for a Sugercharger in Tucson for residents but it would be great for travelers which is the whole point and the whole California problem. Last year at the Oxnard Supercharger I had to wait 45 minutes while residents shopped at Whole Foods and charged.

Wondering if you have seen the 2017 Supercharger map? Tucson will be getting a Supercharger to the east and you will be able to drive to Texas/Santa Fe et al.

Tesla Updates Supercharger Map For 2017 (Plans)

I'm in favor of mass EV adoption and I agree with slevit1md and disagree with you. I also disagree that 1 and 2 are valid reasons since Tesla wants to sell cars.

So you believe that the best way to facilitate mass EV adoption is to levy an unprecedented authoritarian ruling that disqualifies individuals from purchasing a free market product? Oh, and you want the manufacturer to self impose that ruling?

AND you want to do all that to solve a solve a short term problem that now has solutions implemented?

That's some vision of marketing, let alone a bizarre way to support a global movement...

Reactions: EV-lutioin
So you believe that the best way to facilitate mass EV adoption is to levy an unprecedented authoritarian ruling that disqualifies individuals from purchasing a free market product?

Nope. I think the way to facilitate mass ev adoption is to have policies that keep people from abusing the charging infrastructure and ruining it for everybody else because they want to save a buck.

The way to deal with apartment dwellers that can't charge at home is for local city and state governments to adopt destination charging in mass so those that can't charge at home can charge somewhere until adoption is wide enough that apartments and condos have their own destination charging.

Superchargers are NOT for local charging. They are for those that need to drive a long distance in a short time.

Reactions: zambono
I think the way to facilitate mass ev adoption is to have policies that keep people from abusing the charging infrastructure and ruining it for everybody else because they want to save a buck.

Well good--then you agree with Tesla's implementation of policies that keep people from abusing the charging infrastructure. Policies that specifically don't require draconian (and probably illegal) restrictions on owner qualification, while maximizing Tesla's marketability as well as Tesla's and Elon's umbrella motivation of being the catalyst of mass EV adoption.

In other words, you agree with my #1, #2, and #3 after all.

Sure it would be nice when superchargers get built out heading east, but how many people drive from Tucson to Texas?

It's not just "how many drive from Tucson to Texas"... If the point of the SC network is to allow road trips, that huge gap is blocking everyone in Southern CA and AZ from taking the southern (and fastest) route to not only Texas, but Louisiana, Alabama, Florida and visa versa. That's a lot of people that need to go 500+ miles out of the way and add hours & miles to the trip. It makes the more northern Superchargers more crowded and uses more energy overall. No reason to not prioritize finishing this major route ASAP.

Reactions: zambono and Lu Ann
No reason to not prioritize finishing this major route ASAP.

I mean, its being worked, and looks like its only 2-3 locations from being complete (not including those already permitted).

We have to assume Tesla developed what they believe to be the most effective buildout plan, optimizing things like current and future user demand, cash flow/funding, and location ID/permitting/construction activity. It would be interesting to understand how that plan differs from individual desires of the network.

Reactions: Sasmania
Well good--then you agree with Tesla's implementation of policies that keep people from abusing the charging infrastructure. Policies that specifically don't require draconian (and probably illegal) restrictions on owner qualification, while maximizing Tesla's marketability as well as Tesla's and Elon's umbrella motivation of being the catalyst of mass EV adoption.

In other words, you agree with my #1, #2, and #3 after all.

Nice try Mr Alternate Facts:rolleyes:

It's not just "how many drive from Tucson to Texas"... If the point of the SC network is to allow road trips, that huge gap is blocking everyone in Southern CA and AZ from taking the southern (and fastest) route to not only Texas, but Louisiana, Alabama, Florida and visa versa. That's a lot of people that need to go 500+ miles out of the way and add hours & miles to the trip. It makes the more northern Superchargers more crowded and uses more energy overall. No reason to not prioritize finishing this major route ASAP.
I completely agree with you. You're taking my words out of context. Anyone can read the entire post 127 and see I was responding to someone saying he doesn't understand why anyone in Tucson would buy a Tesla since they don't have a supercharger in Tucson. The post was about people living in Tucson and their ability to charge at home, not about people wanting to pass through.

I completely agree with you. You're taking my words out of context. Anyone can read the entire post 127 and see I was responding to someone saying he doesn't understand why anyone in Tucson would buy a Tesla since they don't have a supercharger in Tucson. The post was about people living in Tucson and their ability to charge at home, not about people wanting to pass through.
I'll try again though I did correct your misinterpretation in post 127 once before in post 136. I never said any such thing though you responded to me as though I did. So I guess taking words out of context is catching. This thread is a riot and you can quote me in post 153 on that.

Last edited:
And when Gilroy was originally brought online (it was one of the first dozen Superchargers in the world) it had 6 stalls and was always full, and people complained. Now it has 10 stalls and is almost always empty.

We stopped by the Gilroy SC last night and the first bank of chargers looked nearly full. We parked in the next section where another car was. We've driven by at different times of the day/night and it's usage fluctuates. It's a pretty popular stop along 101. Close to the entrance/exit ramp. It's located in the Outlet shopping center. Not much in the way of dining--In and Out, Denny's, Starbuck (a short walk across Leavesley Rd)--but at least you can grab a bite or get something to drink and use the restroom. There's an Applebee's, Eriks Deli, Chevy's and Black Bear Restaurant nearby if you want to stop for something more along those lines before or after charging.