Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Superchargers in Hawaii (location speculation, general discussion)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm staying in Oahu for a week in September, and thinking of renting a Tesla while I'm there. But with no Superchargers on the island, I'm a little wary of spending my whole vacation with range anxiety. Can anyone comment on the number of quick charging stations on the island, and whether or not they're reliable or if they're broken half the time?

I've already checked with my hotel and they don't offer EV charging. But if anyone's familiar with the area, I'm staying in Laie, HI. PlugShare tells me there is charging stations in the parking lot of the Polynesian Cultural Center, but there's a note that they are enforcing a "PCC visitors only" policy for them. Does anyone know if I'd be able to use these chargers at night, or while visiting the nearby shopping center but not necessarily the PCC?

If I could start every day with a 75% charge I think I'd be fine, but I don't want to have to drive a half hour out of my way every night to top off.

I'm staying in Oahu for a week in September, and thinking of renting a Tesla while I'm there. But with no Superchargers on the island, I'm a little wary of spending my whole vacation with range anxiety. Can anyone comment on the number of quick charging stations on the island, and whether or not they're reliable or if they're broken half the time?

I've already checked with my hotel and they don't offer EV charging. But if anyone's familiar with the area, I'm staying in Laie, HI. PlugShare tells me there is charging stations in the parking lot of the Polynesian Cultural Center, but there's a note that they are enforcing a "PCC visitors only" policy for them. Does anyone know if I'd be able to use these chargers at night, or while visiting the nearby shopping center but not necessarily the PCC?

If I could start every day with a 75% charge I think I'd be fine, but I don't want to have to drive a half hour out of my way every night to top off.
Are you staying in a hotel or an Air BNB? If it's an AirBNB, check with the renter if you have access to a garage and permission to use a plug in the garage (assuming there's one available). At standard 110V charging, the Model 3/Y will charge 5 mi/hr. Assuming between evening and overnight sleeping, you should be able to put back in 40-50 miles/day.

Otherwise, if you're at the Marriott, it looks like the Laie Shopping center is your nearest choice, but it's $2.20/hour on chargepoint according to Plugshare. In general, the paid chargers on island are usually more reliable, since most people here don't use the paid chargers as much.

There are many more charging options available in town (including Tesla wall chargers) available in some locations.

Good luck & safe travels!

Reactions: nanimac
Aloha

Aloha- what hotel are you staying at?

Well, there's a permit application for an "Electrical Charging Station Installation at Ala Moana Shopping Center".

I'm watching the application and scanning the permit database daily now, so if it turns out to be Tesla, I'll start a new topic.
Cautious optimism...
Bad news: it's not Tesla.
Good news: it looks like a $195k expansion of Volta chargers at Ala Moana: Honolulu Internet Permit System - Building Permit

I'm curious, what do people in Hawaii see in the in-vehicle nav system and in your Tesla mobile apps for nearest superchargers? Does it show the superchargers in California or does it just display nothing at all?

I thought about shipping my Tesla to Hawaii to use on vacation but car rental rates came down enough that it wasn't worth doing. But at least for now, it seems like free EVSEs aren't nearly as impacted as they are in California. Ala Moana has several of them and there was almost always a free EVSE whenever I went in that garage. I wonder what the SC rates are going to be in Hawaii when Tesla finally does open its first site?

Reactions: WarEagleGo
I'm curious, what do people in Hawaii see in the in-vehicle nav system and in your Tesla mobile apps for nearest superchargers? Does it show the superchargers in California or does it just display nothing at all?

I thought about shipping my Tesla to Hawaii to use on vacation but car rental rates came down enough that it wasn't worth doing. But at least for now, it seems like free EVSEs aren't nearly as impacted as they are in California. Ala Moana has several of them and there was almost always a free EVSE whenever I went in that garage. I wonder what the SC rates are going to be in Hawaii when Tesla finally does open its first site?
Woulda thought first one was open by now over on Lanai. Will be in Hawaii in October for at least a day for my Alaska/Hawaii trip - the last 2 states to hit for my 50 state challenge this year. (Alaska overnight then to Hawaii) for at least one night before back home to California. Will probably go over to Ala Moana Ceenter and look for the chargers. Ticket back is unlimited so if I decide to stay a few days would hit top of Maui and Kauai (old worksites), and maybe a couple of hikes in the hills.
Considered renting a Tesla, but not gonna drive that much.

There's a permit application for "EV Chargers" at the Walmart near Ala Moana.

When the permit application gets approved, we'll be able to see more information.
The permit for the Walmart EV chargers near Ala Moana just got entered into the system:
4 charging stalls at $275k. I don't see anything Tesla-related on the permit, but hey, more chargers.

Yes, nearest is 2,000+ miles away.
That doesn't seem very useful. Tesla should probably update their system to only show supercharger sites you can drive to from your present location. If part of the journey must be made by ship or plane, the distance to the nearest one doesn't mean that much...nor does it mean much if it's far outside of the range of your vehicle when fully charged.

That doesn't seem very useful. Tesla should probably update their system to only show supercharger sites you can drive to from your present location. If part of the journey must be made by ship or plane, the distance to the nearest one doesn't mean that much...nor does it mean much if it's far outside of the range of your vehicle when fully charged.
yeah.... maybe. But it's fun to see them on the Nav.

Reactions: Akikiki
I tell everyone that Monterey Airport is the closest airport from the mainland. Closest point of land is actually near Big Sur.
But in reality SFO may be 1 or 2 miles closer than MRY. However SFO's runways are such that planes have to take off the wrong direction and circle around. Whereas, Monterey's runway points the right direction.
So, to answer your question, I'm guessing Monterey (Del Monte Center) may be closest Supercharger to Hawaii. Or just maybe the Big Sur Ventana Supercharger.