Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Superchargers in Iceland

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If it's primarily intended for service center use, it may never show up in the Nav or on the website.
And it’s on the website! I can’t say since when, but the pin appears as both a Store and Supercharger. However, when you click on the location as a Supercharger, you aren’t going to obtain any supplementary information, and when you click on the store marker, you obtain all the Store and Service hours, without seeing any mention of the Supercharger. Odd.
C93AA4E5-B156-4460-AEDE-161C00586C67.jpeg
69DD06C5-3BE1-438F-AD71-BDB029E48537.jpeg

• Informative
Reactions: KarenRei
Also if you compare that to price of gasoline, it's still cheap.. And iceland is a very small market.

Suc should be priced so that you only use it when traveling, so that it's not blocked by local cars.

They've been lately installing those dual units here too (Finland). Makes sense, this is still also a small market, and at first they installed superchargers that have 8-10 stalls.. these are pretty much almost always empty.

Yeah - while ultimately I expect larger stations the further west and south you go (this one really isn't set up like you'd set up a permanent, customer-focused station), due to our low population density, we really could use a lot of 2-4 stall setups more than we could your average 10-stall setup.

I kind of wonder if the answer is simply "because they can get away with it". The only "competition" is ON, which isn't any competition at all (overpriced, frequently unreliable or overoccupied "50kW" stations).

So what do you think the appropriate rate is that Tesla should charge for their Supercharger usage to be able to recover the installation and maintenance costs in a reasonable amount of time? (I don't know how much it costs for construction there, but I think an average Supercharger site installation costs $150-250k in the US.)

Maybe their models shows that the usage is going to be low and so to cover expenses in a reasonable amount of time they have to charge higher rates.

Will it be likely that most people in Iceland can charge at home, or will they have to rely on the Supercharger network for daily use?

I don't think that pricing is out of line with what they are doing in North America. And then there is cost of installation/maintenance, demand charges, etc. Also, it's still much cheaper than gas which is important. It's also expensive enough to discourage anyone from trying to use this supercharger as their primary method of charging which is massively important when there are only 2 supercharging stalls in the entire country. And decreasing prices later (if necessary) is easier than increasing them. Most of these points have already been made up thread, but they are worth repeating.

Lastly, one thing that hasn't been mentioned is that the pricing as well as the appearance on the Tesla map indicates that this is clearly a public-facing supercharging, at least for now.

I'm more than happy with the theory that it's an abnormally high rate despite our abnormally cheap power because they're planning an abnormally high ratio of stations to owners. :) We could sure use that, with our low population density.

Reactions: GSP
For example, Norway's rates (post-tax) are 1,70 NOK/kWh (23 ISK/kWh, $0,19/kWh, €0,17/kWh), so even if Norway has a tax exemption on EV charging and we don't (I don't know whether that's the case), that wouldn't explain it.

We don't have tax excemption for EV charging. I know the prices have changed a bit the last year or so. From NOK 1,40/kWh in 2018 to 1,86 in january 2019 to 1,70 now.

I know supercharger prices in Denmark are much higher than in Norway. Could it be that the Americans assume you have Danish price levels?

• Informative
Reactions: KarenRei
A few more Supercharger will be coming to soon. A Tesla driver will be able to travel around the entire country.

Photos.

Attachments

• 6FEA078C-8061-4B9D-8DE0-EC0541562975.jpeg
    6FEA078C-8061-4B9D-8DE0-EC0541562975.jpeg
    298 KB · Views: 120
  • 8DEF7688-7A5C-4256-AF79-0B79B8164DA1.jpeg
    8DEF7688-7A5C-4256-AF79-0B79B8164DA1.jpeg
    305.2 KB · Views: 97
  • 53727166-F5EA-48AE-99A9-0CBACC8F4B45.jpeg
    53727166-F5EA-48AE-99A9-0CBACC8F4B45.jpeg
    234.4 KB · Views: 107
  • BCA14847-6753-44FD-AA61-06DA20ECD744.jpeg
    BCA14847-6753-44FD-AA61-06DA20ECD744.jpeg
    244.2 KB · Views: 116
Permit for a Supercharger in Egilsstaðir!! I do not have the location yet, so I cannot add a pin to Supercharge Info. @KarenRei you can submit your email to receive updates on this Supercharger. Credit to @dollob for finding this info
First Supercharger in Iceland
Málsnúmer 202001007

Note: the image here is from a translated version of the 2nd link. I’m just posting it in English because I don’t understand Icelandic for *sugar*. Sorry
2B0B244D-8B23-42FE-93A5-618C5FDA1912.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
Council agreed to install the location at the local sports complex (Tjarnarbraut 26). Will add on Supercharge Info!

Poor AudubonB must be feeling so left out right now..

Installing it right next to the pool (aka spa) could let Tesla get away with using a lower-power charger. Who can get mad at long charge times if they're soaking in geothermal waters? ;)

Installing it right next to the pool (aka spa) could let Tesla get away with using a lower-power charger. Who can get mad at long charge times if they're soaking in geothermal waters? ;)

Somebody should talk to Vök Baths about EV charging as well.. and to GeoSea if they get on a roll.
But I was hoping that the SC site would be closer to N1/Miðvangur, where all the services are.

I guess also Egilsstaðir was the only location where there was any amount of guess work related to SC location. Both Klaustur and Staður seem to have the local N1 as the only logical option.

EDIT: ...wait a minute! When did they add Akureyri??

-
JN

Reactions: PStewart