Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Superchargers in Iceland

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
@KarenRei

Fossvogur is online

0394ABA3-D853-4340-972D-FD35115FCE64.jpeg

Ole Gudbrann Hempel, who manages the development of the supercharging stations in the Nordic countries, says in ViðskiptaMoggan today that the company aims to develop this type in Akureyri, Egilsstaðir, Höfn in Hornafjörður, Kirkjubæjarklaustur and the area near Selfoss.

So, roughly, going clockwise.

Reykjavík 154.7km
Staður 225.1km
Akureyri 248.4km
Egilsstaðir 181.6km
Höfn 195.5km
Kirkjubæjarklaustur 200.3km
Selfoss 50.4km
Reykjavík

Aside: Ole Gudbrann Hempel was featured in a number of Bjørn Nyland's videos. He was leading Fortum's project to install chargers in Finnmark in northern Norway. He left Fortum and joined Tesla.

It looks like they could do with more chargers, but given the population and that there's some other (reputedly crappy) chargers on the ring road, Tesla might take the view that they don't need to push density too hard right now.

Did you rent a Tesla over there? I had been wanting to do that trip.
Yes, 12 days around the ring road, about 2700km. Rented a 2022 Model Y LR from Hertz. Overall pretty good trip, plenty of chargers other than superchargers to use, the best are cheapies that just use Level 2 charging with a Mennekes cable since Teslas in Iceland are all CCS plug. But the best charging of all, of course, is just being able to plug into a wall outlet and charge overnight. :D

Yes, 12 days around the ring road, about 2700km. Rented a 2022 Model Y LR from Hertz. Overall pretty good trip, plenty of chargers other than superchargers to use, the best are cheapies that just use Level 2 charging with a Mennekes cable since Teslas in Iceland are all CCS plug. But the best charging of all, of course, is just being able to plug into a wall outlet and charge overnight. :D
Interesting. Was the Hertz at the airport? And did they guarantee a Tesla? One problem I ran into when I did a Tesla trip on mainland Europe was a lot of them used the verbiage "Tesla Model 3 or similar." Similar included other non-Tesla electric cars which would have been a huge pain in the ass, so that was kind of a non-starter.

• Helpful
Reactions: Christine69420
Interesting. Was the Hertz at the airport? And did they guarantee a Tesla? One problem I ran into when I did a Tesla trip on mainland Europe was a lot of them used the verbiage "Tesla Model 3 or similar." Similar included other non-Tesla electric cars which would have been a huge pain in the ass, so that was kind of a non-starter.
Yes, it was a guaranteed Tesla Model Y, the only vehicle in its category, no substitutions. They don't even carry Model 3.

Hi, is it possible to share a short summary of your stops/visits? I'm planning to drive the ring road this summer. Thanks

Hi, is it possible to share a short summary of your stops/visits? I'm planning to drive the ring road this summer. Thanks

Hello, yes we stayed in Reykjavik, Hvolsvöllur, Kirkjubæjarklaustur, Höfn, Egilsstaðir, Akureyri, Búðardalur, Stykkishólmur, and then back to Reykjavik. It was a great trip, would have loved to have spent two nights in most of these places but many of them were just one night. We drove into the Westfjords for a day and then took the ferry to Stykkisholmur. There is plenty of EV charging even other than Superchargers, Plugshare was helpful. Plus we got a Mennekes cable with our car and were able to plug in to low-cost chargers often, and in some of our cabins we stayed in we could charge overnight (220V European outlets charged about 40% of the battery overnight). No app support, but we got a keyfob so had auto lock/unlock and all that control.

As I had written on May 10 here: Isafjördur Supercharger, it is with great certainty I wrote of the emplacement of Tesla's first SpC in the Westfjord region. So far, nothing has crossed either supercharge.info's site nor any TMC pages that I've seen.

Has anyone driven through Isafjördur recently enough to know anything?

Ísafjörður? Hadn't heard of that one before; have you got a link to the minutes of the council meeting where they approved it?

I thought they'd open the first supercharger in the Westfjords in Hólmavík. The municipality discussed the issue at the council meeting in March: Sveitarstjórnarfundur 1343 í Strandabyggð, 14. mars 2023

"Samningur við TESLA um uppsetningu hleðslustöðva á Hólmavík (samningurinn í viðhengi)"

I don't know what came out of it though.

Reactions: corywright