Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Superchargers in National Parks (or lack of)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Do not necessarily need SC inside National parks but would be useful to have at a town on the way to but outside National parks especially in the Western US. Rivian is supposed to be building chargers at “adventure locations” so hopefully will push Tesla to do more.

Reactions: nwdiver
There is simply not a lot of electricity available inside national parks.
This is definitely true.
Another challenge is that construction in a National Park is made extremely difficult due to very strict controls protecting potential indigenous artifacts. Before one can put a shovel in the ground, one needs to verify there is nothing of archeological or paleontological value. Essentially, in addition to excavators and electricians, one must also hire an archeologist. While the site of the charger isn't so tough, trenching to bring in more electricity can be very tough.
The parks systems also aren't particularly happy about clearing land for solar arrays or damming streams for hydro power.
Perhaps they would be a good place to move some of the natural gas peaking plants as battery storage replaces them in urban areas.

Tesla has done a decent job of putting superchargers near many western national parks. When deciding where to stay is probably best to take Superchargers locations into consideration. Level 2 charging within parks can't be counted on.

Moab is a good example.

I always thought it was because building permits in general are harder to get inside national parks. This is why cell towers are pretty scarce inside too...

With that being said, I know Yellowstone has a SC right outside the west entrance.

Reactions: DblOSmith
I think that where we want to be in national parks in 10 years time is to have a J1772 in every parking spot. Start slow now, do a lane of parking at a time, but plan on an L2 in every spot.

Why I don't think L3 makes sense in national parks: when I park at a national park I want to leave the car and not come back until after sunset. I don't want to stand in line behind other people at an L3, or lurk in the gift shop near parking so that I can move my car to avoid idle fees when done charging. I know Rivian says they're going big on this, but I just don't see it. I think most likely that's a PR statement to attract their target consumers all the while know there's little future in L3 in national parks, or else they're going to eventually figure it out the hard way. Either way, in a few years they'll say "hey folks, we just realized there's a better way and you'll be happy to hear..."

Limited electricity hadn't occurred to me. That's interesting. And if that's the case I would be writing angry letters to congressman if the L3 chargers are proprietary, regardless of whether they're for the other guy's car or for my Tesla. A national park should be for everybody.

In the little towns that form a halo around the parks: yeah, I can definitely see L3 being desirable. Those are places I don't hang out: plug in, buy supplies, or a quick meal at a greasy spoon, and move on.

And if that's the case I would be writing angry letters to congressman if the L3 chargers are proprietary, regardless of whether they're for the other guy's car or for my Tesla. A national park should be for everybody.
A lot of people say this is why there shouldn't be public money put into EV chargers of any kind since they only serve the few who drive EVs.
Trying to judge goodness can be a dangerous act.
Fortunately, Tesla has supported J-1772 since before it's ink was dry (ie, before it was fully ratified) so a J-1772 solution isn't really a problem.

Reactions: TunaBug
No chargers going on public land will be private or proprietary. That Rivian site above will be private but CCS1. I anticipate Rivian selling subscriptions to non-Rivian owners as a way to use but not overuse the resource. But that arrangement is a guess.

Reactions: DblOSmith
Saw my first one in the wild on the drive to work this morning.

On-topic...maybe the launch of the Cyber Truck will prompt Tesla to follow Rivian's model and locate some super chargers at "adventure" locations and near national parks.

Tesla did some of these locations long ago. Californians couldn't visit the Utah parks in their Model S, so the moab supercharger was born. Unfortunately supercharger placement near western parks assume access from the west.