TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Superchargers in National Parks

Discussion in 'North America' started by Ljefe, Apr 9, 2016.

1. Ljefe

Ljefe New Member

Talk about low-hanging fruit, yet I'm not aware of any Supercharger in any national park nationwide. Why?
    DOI Secretary Sally Jewell would be all over this. With the air quality problems in many national parks, like Yosemite, Grand Canyon, Great Smoky Mountains, Zion, Yellowstone and others, seems like NPS would really want to promote EV driving to parks. There's plenty of parking lot space for supercharger installation, what gives?

2. TexasEV

TexasEV Active Member

National Parks are destinations, not throughpoints. Destination chargers are perfect for them, in fact there are some ( such as at the hotel in Yosemite). There is no power for superchargers nor the need for such rapid charging.

• Like x 3
  3. jerry33

jerry33 S85 - VIN:P05130 - 3/2/13

Agreed. Because of the number of visitors and the length of stay (does anyone stay less than two hours, I'd imagine most stay for four hours or more), putting in a lot of destination chargers would make far more sense than putting in Superchargers.

4. Lump

Lump Active Member

just stayed at one of the hotels in Zion (Springdale) that offers Tesla chargers & it was fantastic, actually preferred over a Supercharger since its more convenient.

IMG_0884 (1).jpg IMG_0839.jpg

5. KJD

KJD Member

6. kort677

kort677 Active Member

as others have noted, SCs are not necessary in the parks, some generic L2 chargers would go a long way to promoting EVs in general.