Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Superchargers in New Zealand

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
In my opinion state high way 1 between Dunedin and Invercargill would benefit most if the rapid charger was in Clinton.
Dunedin to Clinton is 109 km's, Clinton to Invercargill another 95km's it's also where the bypass SH93 starts, Clinton to Mataura.

Quick wrap up of the recent map updates (note: I have translated the season names for the southern hemisphere)

North to south:

Whangarei - was 2018 - is now Spring 2018
Auckland - was 2018 - is now Winter 2018
Tauranga - new site - 2019
Taihape - was 2018 - no change
Wellington - was 2018 - no change

Christchurch - was 2018 - no change
Geraldine - was 2018 - is now Spring 2018
Omarama - was 2018 - is now Winter 2018
Queenstown - new site - 2019

Tesla opens first New Zealand Store and Service Centre

The [Auckland] store will host three vehicles, made up of two award-winning Model S and a Model X, in addition to a signature Tesla ‘skateboard’ chassis, Tesla Powerwall and five Supercharging bays.

and

In addition to the Auckland store’s Superchargers, Tesla is expanding its Supercharger network with sites in Queenstown and Omarama, which are all open from tomorrow.

No idea where these two are, I guess we'll find out when they appear on the map!

Well yes :D

I meant there haven't been any reports of sightings of construction etc. in these towns, so we don't know *exactly* where the SCs will be :)
I stand corrected. :) And I should have paid attention to the fact that it was you who posted. You often find information over here on the other side of the planet well before us locals! Many thanks for your continued surveillance!

Reactions: MarcoRP
No prob @otter!

Omarama now on the map... the other two aren't yet...

upload_2018-6-29_8-23-17.png

Worth noting that this (below) is pretty much the entire town.. there's not much there!

upload_2018-6-29_8-24-44.png

I can confirm there are six super charger stalls underneath the new store (and I think they mentioned another two will come online bringing the total to eight in Auckland). There are also about six destination chargers there also - I believe are 3phase x 32Amp.

They will be online next Saturday (7th July).

Announced at the opening event last night (photo of them attached)

Attachments

• 20180628_091137704_iOS.jpg
    20180628_091137704_iOS.jpg
    304.5 KB · Views: 73
Reason #47 for heading back to NZ:

I just found out the Auckland SpC is only 750 meters from the family place on Rose Rd in Grey Lynn. Dang!

And my sister’s in Q’town is just a hop and a skip from the Frankton SpC.....

....it’s a good thing they’ve got 2 Model 3s on order - but I may have to persuade them to add a third, I’m thinking.

What sort of charge rates (km/hr) are people getting at the Auckland supercharger?
I tried it the other day and was only getting around 160km/hr or 31kW. I was the only one there.
I understand that they are set up in pairs (1A/1B, 2A/2B etc) and that the power, up to 120kW is split between each pair. So, for example, if you connect to 1A and another vehicle is charging on 1B you have to share the 120kW supply. But if no one is using the other half of a pair you should get the whole 120kW.
I was expecting to see charge rates of around 400km/hr.

Not sure this is the right forum as posts seem old. Please let me know if a better place. First time posting.

Picked up an X75D from Auckland last week and drove it to Wellington. Stopped in Hamilton first, then easy run to Taupo and a dinner at the Chinese restaurant - We were the only two people there at 8pm on a Tuesday.

It was a long haul to Palmerston North from there. After about 45 minutes it was clear that it was going to be marginal and ended up having to turn of Climate and stay below 90ks to make Palmerston North with 8%. Called Steve and Dee from the Desert Road to see if we could sign up for ChargeNet but of course we didn't have an adapter so that would have been no good. (Adapter is $450from Tesla I just discovered).

A Supercharger in Taihape or Bulls would be ideal.

Arrived in Palmy around 10:30pm and found Kmart stays open until midnight so at least had something to do for 50 minutes.

Noted again the car only charged to 90% and worked out the next day I should have set Taupo stop to charge to 100% as we'd be driving immediately. No one told me that.

So far I've worked out you save no money on gas in a road trip and at each stop you end up spending $50 :)

Still no Superchargers in Wellington at all, but sound like coming this year. Any idea where?

Cheers

Rod

Reactions: MarcoRP and Miggy
It was a long haul to Palmerston North from there. After about 45 minutes it was clear that it was going to be marginal and ended up having to turn of Climate and stay below 90ks to make Palmerston North with 8%. Called Steve and Dee from the Desert Road to see if we could sign up for ChargeNet but of course we didn't have an adapter so that would have been no good. (Adapter is $450from Tesla I just discovered).

Noted again the car only charged to 90% and worked out the next day I should have set Taupo stop to charge to 100% as we'd be driving immediately. No one told me that.

Hi Rod, welcome to the world of Tesla. Great to read about your road trip. Tesla NZ should really provide owners with a list of essentials:

1) CHAdeMO adapter
2) Type 2 to type 2 cable, which you will need for many public destination chargers. Type 2 socketed is the new NZTA 'standard'. About $300 to $350 for a 5m cable. The new ChargeNet chargers in Auckland car parks now use this setup.
3) Type 1 to type 2 adapter so you can use many of the existing destination chargers. Type 1 is what Nissan Leafs use and many of the existing chargers have a type 1 cable only.
4) Blue commando adapter from Tesla, so you can use your mobility charger at caravan parks etc. Not essential , but good to have.
5) Membership with ChargeNet.

Hope you are enjoying your new wheels.

Marty.