TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Superchargers in Normal, IL

Discussion in 'Midwest/Great Lakes' started by greencharge, May 7, 2013.

1. elecblue

elecblue Member

Singapore (for next 2 years) previously Chicago, I
    JD - thanks for your post. Pls let me know if you find anything. We may travel the last weekend in July or Aug depending on schedules. Not only is UP scarce but we would have a hard time finding a Nema 14-50 even at Eagle River. The RV options are dismal.

2. FlasherZ

FlasherZ Sig Model S + Sig Model X + Model 3 Resv

I'm a bit off the path but can offer my HPWC that weekend. You'd be taking I-55 south from Chicago to St. Louis, to get to my home you'd have to go about 40 miles out of your way (at Lebanon, IL you'd exit I-55 and go southeast a bit down toward I-64). Then your onward journey would be via I-64 to St. Louis (45 mi from riverfront) and then back onto I-44. PM me if you think you'll need it and we can go over details -- I know it's out of the way but it's an option for you.

3. Liz G

Liz G P03056

We haven't fully mapped out the route yet. But will charge in Bloomington, either at the SC or at a J1772. Crossing our fingers that the J1772 will be up and running. We will then drive slowly up to Milwaukee where we will stay at one of the hotels there that has a J1772 or 240v. Then we should have enough charge to make it all the way up to Norway, if we drive conservatively. There are some J1772's in Green Bay in case we have any concerns about making it all the way up. On the way back we will be coming thru Stevens Point. There is a Holiday Inn there were we've stayed before and they said they'd have a 240v available for us. Then probably a stop around Madison (unless the Rockford SC is up and running) and a stop in Bloomington.

I will post the final details once we have them. A lot is dependent on whether or not the SC's are available.

4. Jdcleary

Jdcleary Member

HPWC In Milwaukee area

Liz, were you aware of Scott's post: http://www.teslamotorsclub.com/showthread.php/17519-HPWCs-at-public-locations-as-a-bridge-to-Super-Chargers/page5 HPWC in Waukesha but exact date of install is unknown but may be able to help you.

5. NotMandatory

NotMandatory Member

JD:

We don't have a HPWC (since we only opted for the single charger), but our 14-50 is available to any other forum members passing through STL that need a faster boost than the handful of public level 2 stuff.

We're in the vicinity of 270 & 40/64. Just shoot either me or bluefuego a PM if you ever want to arrange a date/time in advance for a quick pit stop if FlasherZ's or another HPWC doesn't work with your route for some reason.

6. Jdcleary

Jdcleary Member

Thanks for the offers. With a HPWC in Waukesha I now am set for getting to Chicago but from there to St Louis will require another 4 hour charge someplace in between. Willing to stay over night in the St. Louis area and I believe I have seen posts suggesting a hotel that had a charge station? Of course making it from St. Louis to my house without more charging is not possible (325 miles) but I might get some juice in Springfield or by Evan. When do we get the Bloomington/Normal Super Charger?

7. NotMandatory

NotMandatory Member

That would be the Moonrise Hotel in "The Loop". They have a complimentary ChargePoint Level 2 charger. It's a very nice hotel, and my wife and I also really like their restaurant ("Eclipse").

8. zerompg

zerompg Member

Nothing happening today, June 20, 2013

Still waiting for juice

Attached Files:

9. jvonbokel

jvonbokel John VonBokel

They look done! I'm guessing they're not connected to power, but at least that seems like progress to me (unless I missed an update).

10. Liz G

Liz G P03056

Boy I hope Walter at Tesla is wrong and they will be ready for my trip on the 29th. Fingers and Toes crossed.

11. zerompg

zerompg Member

Ribbon Cutting = Wed, June 26th @ 10am

We had a call this morning with a Tesla Marketing Representative regarding the Tesla Supercharger Ribbon Cutting. The event is scheduled for 10:00 am on Wednesday, June 26 and will take place on the 3rd floor of the Uptown Station Parking Deck. We may potentially move down to the Gateway Plaza to continue the press conference, if necessary. Below is the tentative schedule: 10:00 am – Senator Cullerton arrives onsite and charges10:15 am – Local media/ Photo Opp/ Ribbon Cutting10:40 am – Senator Cullerton leaves for SpringfieldI am working on a press release that will probably go out late Monday afternoon, but wanted to give you a heads up. Please mark your calendars for this exciting event! We hope to see the EVTown support on Wednesday. Thanks!Heather BealCommunications ManagerTown of Normal(309) 454-9595 (office)(309) 310-8215 (mobile)[email protected]

12. Liz G

Liz G P03056

Dancing in the aisles at work getting some really stranger looks from my co-workers.But Oh Baby am I one Happy Camper!!!!!!!!

Thanks for your updates.

13. bluefuego

bluefuego Member

woohoo!!!! Trying to figure out if I can reschedule my appointments that day to make the trek up there from STL. I so want to go! :biggrin:

14. FlasherZ

FlasherZ Sig Model S + Sig Model X + Model 3 Resv

Would love to join y'all but unfortunately will be in Orlando...

15. Wattson

Wattson Member

I'm working on rescheduling my work appointments on Wednesday to join the ribbon cutting too. I'll need to charge to make it home.

16. sp4rk

sp4rk Banned

This could be awkward!?
    How many are descending on Normal?
    If some from Chicago come down, and some from St. Louis and where else?; we all NEED a charge to get back ...
    How many bays?
    How many hours wait til we get a charge? :)
    Car pool?

17. Wattson

Wattson Member

Hey Robert, 4 bays, and I'm willing to wait if it turns into a Tesla party, lets show Normal this is a big deal to Tesla Owners. Sam said he's going to try and make it too. If you'd prefer to ride along with me, send me an email.

David

18. kevincwelch

kevincwelch Active Member

I'll probably make a trip down there over 4th of July weekend...

19. Liz G

Liz G P03056

I'm going to try to get the day off from work. But it's not promising since i'm off the entire next week.

We will, however, being using the SC on our way to and from the UP. That's the upper peninsula of Michigan for non- Wisconsinites.

20. MarkH

MarkH Member

I'm not even an owner, just a small potatoes investor / enthusiast, but I understand the importance of this event. The first supercharger not on either coast, it's like driving the golden spike in the trans-continental railroad. (OK maybe not quite but you get my meaning...)

I will be taking the day off work and heading down from Chicago at 7:30 AM. I want to tell my girls when they're driving their Gen III's to college, that I was a part of it, in a small way.

I have re-upped my ZipCar membership and will be renting a Volt to drive down for the ribbon-cutting. Hope to see some of y'all there.