Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey Robert, 4 bays, and I'm willing to wait if it turns into a Tesla party, lets show Normal this is a big deal to Tesla Owners. Sam said he's going to try and make it too. If you'd prefer to ride along with me, send me an email.

David
Too many David's in our group! Have to look you up to see which one! :) I'd seriously like to go but 4 bays divided by ???; might bring my GF's gas guzzler.

Never!

I too am seriously considering taking the day off and going. Charging is the only issue but I see on Plugshare.com that there are several EV plugs (doesn't say what kind) around Normal, IL. Worst case I bring a laptop and do a little work while I top off the battery before the trip home.

I for one would like to know how you plan on doing this.

North of Muskegon, charging options are slim pickings.

We just drove up to Crystal Lake, and I couldn't figure out how to do it with a five year old and a 15 month old.
Kevin, not getting this?
Chicago > Crystal Lake round trip? Not even 90 miles. Figure out how to do what? Did you mis-type or did I misunderstand? :)
Crystal Lake, IL right?

I for one would like to know how you plan on doing this.

North of Muskegon, charging options are slim pickings.

We just drove up to Crystal Lake, and I couldn't figure out how to do it with a five year old and a 15 month old.

My husband's parents live in Norway, MI right on the border with Wisconsin. So we are coming from St. Louis, will hit the SC in Normal, stay overnight in Milwaukee and use the J1772 at the AAA. That should give us plenty of charge to make it up to Norway. But if needed there ar J1772's in Green Bay we can use. My husband's parents have a 220 for their welder in the garage so we will be charging on a 10-30 while up there.

Sorry,

I thought you meant UP Michigan as along the west side of the state, all the way north to Crystal Lake, MI.

That's about 300 miles from where I live.

e3aqu8ub.jpg

The Uptown parking garage has 4- SC stations on the 4th level and 5- J1772 stations on the 3rd level. The Beauford St garage is across the street and has 2- J1772 chargers and the Marriott Hotel across from that has 1 charger in the front. There are 2 other J1772 charging stations with in 1/2 mile of the Uptown garage. I will be there about 9:45, look for a Blue/grey 60 with 585EL Illinois plates. Nice article in the paper today about Bloomington/Normal be the top ranked EV cities in the nation. http://www.pantagraph.com/business/...cle_695238e6-db88-11e2-b256-001a4bcf887a.html

I would not necessarily rely on anything in the public charging sites. If there are some at hotels, call ahead and try to speak with a maintenance person to confirm the chargers are working. I was heading up to Lodi, WI today and got too late a start. So met my friend in Janesville, WI and thought I would need to charge for an hour or so to get back home. Turns out all there is available is 120V at 12a. Running the AC gives you a whopping 2 miles/hr of charge. So that's out. Next was a J1772 at Grainger. Like many of the ones on the public sites, I had to find out the hard way that they are for employees only. I'm 1 for 5 on road trips trying to find a public J1772 plug. Why? most of them are 'for private use only'. Sounds like a lot of BS to me - non-public use means in most cases the J1772 plugs probably don't see any use at all. You gotta wonder why the host companies paid $10k or whatever to have these things installed in the first place. Anyway, I'm doing my due diligence by writing scathing reviews for the J-plugs that are not available to the public (on the websites), and demanding that the public website hosts take down the chargers from the website.

Anyway, it's best to call ahead to make sure the chargers are for public use. In Bloomington/Normal, there will be plenty available. In WI and UP MI, you're probably out of luck in most cases. I've been trying in the last 2 weeks to plan a long weekend trip to Houghton, MI to no avail. Next idea a friend gave me - maintenance sheds at small private airports - some have new welder outlets (Nema 14-50).

We need superchargers in WI, MI, and all the mid-west states badly!

Thanks John!!!

I had emailed Heather myself this weekend and she just responded with the updated time. Here is the event schedule, I look forward to meeting all attending!

9:00am – Senator Cullerton arrives to Normal Supercharge location
9:10am – Ribbon Cutting Ceremony
9:15am – Senator Cullerton starts Supercharging
9:15am – 10:00am – Photo Opp/ Media

Cheers,
David

I'm seriously bummed. I was pretty excited to try the SC during my trip to Champaign on July 1. Well, it turns out that Champaign is just beyond the reach of my 60kwh - 165 miles from Deerfield, IL to Champaign and 60 miles between Normal and Champaign. I keep scrutinizing it, but unless I take the time to park at a level 2 in Champaign for a while, it won't work.

I'm seriously bummed. I was pretty excited to try the SC during my trip to Champaign on July 1. Well, it turns out that Champaign is just beyond the reach of my 60kwh - 165 miles from Deerfield, IL to Champaign and 60 miles between Normal and Champaign. I keep scrutinizing it, but unless I take the time to park at a level 2 in Champaign for a while, it won't work.

Why don't you go to Normal first and Supercharge there? Then surely you could make it to Champaign and back to charge up again for the trip home. Only 150mi from Deerfield to Normal. 120mi round trip Normal to Champaign and back.

@Wattson/@jvonbokel - thank you. I'm embarrassed that I didn't consider that option. It just might work. Of course, the wife is now writing her own post, "30 minutes ago, my husband told me that I would get to drive his Tesla all day on Monday. He just wrote back and rescinded his offer..."