Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think I'll be driving down by myself next weekend.

Any recommendations for restaurants or interesting shops in Normal?

When I was going there on business last year and staying at the Marriott across from the station, my favorite dinner place was Medici, just a block away. Good food and lively atmosphere. Not much of a shopper but there's a store full of U of IL merchandise across from Medici.

Supercharging in Normal now. Peak was 284m/hr. Did hit a bit of a snag though. Was unable to supercharge in either bays 2a or 2b. Luckily 1b worked. Called Tesla and let them know.
I had the same problem on the 27th, got the message "Unable to Supercharge, unplug and try again" on my dash when trying to charge at 2A and 2B. No problem at 1B. I also let Tesla know. I was seeing 300 miles of range per hour, but my car is set to display ideal mileage.

Last edited:
A tangential question for vbsdan: As I look at the "Fall 2013" Supercharger map, it seems like the next south-of-Chicago location is near Lafayette, Indiana. Any indications on the ground as to where that installation might go?

I've been trying in the last 2 weeks to plan a long weekend trip to Houghton, MI to no avail. Next idea a friend gave me - maintenance sheds at small private airports - some have new welder outlets (Nema 14-50).

We need superchargers in WI, MI, and all the mid-west states badly!
elecblue,
Spoke with Florence, WI Utility guy today and he says they will be installing a Leviton unit 240v/40 amp unit tomorrow. I believe that is actually a 50 amp with 40 amp output (9.6kw) and that should give us about 32 MPH. We will be confirming the installation on Friday, July 5th and I will post on Plugshare.com. I will be in Florence on July 11th staying overnight at Maxsells Restaurant & B&B and charging across the street at this charger. Incidentally, the Google Map incorrectly locates Maxcells one block north of where it actually is located on Central avenue. Very small town so won't be hard to locate.

A tangential question for vbsdan: As I look at the "Fall 2013" Supercharger map, it seems like the next south-of-Chicago location is near Lafayette, Indiana. Any indications on the ground as to where that installation might go?
Haven't heard a thing. The map was my first clue that there might be one near Lafayette. Probably the most logical spot would be at the SR26 exit off of I65, lots of restaurants and shopping.

I did 2 charges in Normal today (1 on way down to Urbana, and 1 back) roughly 1 hour for 150 miles of charge. Based on above reports I went straight to bay 1a. No problems. FYI, 1st hour at garage is free and info desk on 1st floor validates for longer stays. Cute downtown with plenty of shops and restaurants steps away. Great experience all around.

elecblue,
Spoke with Florence, WI Utility guy today and he says they will be installing a Leviton unit 240v/40 amp unit tomorrow. I believe that is actually a 50 amp with 40 amp output (9.6kw) and that should give us about 32 MPH. We will be confirming the installation on Friday, July 5th and I will post on Plugshare.com. I will be in Florence on July 11th staying overnight at Maxsells Restaurant & B&B and charging across the street at this charger. Incidentally, the Google Map incorrectly locates Maxcells one block north of where it actually is located on Central avenue. Very small town so won't be hard to locate.

Thanks JD - as soon as you use it pls let us know how much charge you can get. This can get us close enough to Hougton, MI.

Quick follow up, I contacted the mayor's office to see if they had heard anything. Here is the mayor's response:

Dan,

I did check out the link and then looking at their map it does show Lafayette. I had not heard anything so I checked with the City Engineer and the Director of Economic Development and neither one of them has been contacted either. We do have the two electric vehicle charging stations in the City garage, but getting a Tesla supercharger would be a welcome and cool addition to our community. We are certainly open to working with them.

Tony

So, nothing yet, but it sounds like the city is open to the idea.

qunevava.jpg
first time supercharging at Normal, awesome experience, good location, on our way to Upper peninsula. Tesla tech and vision rocks

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1373140482.233334.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1373140482.233334.jpg
    12.3 KB · Views: 368
Last edited:
I took my first trip to Normal, IL to meet a friend for lunch. I've never used a Supercharger before so I had some range anxiety. When I got there & plugged in, nothing happened. My light didn't pulse green & my screen said, "not charging." :scared: I have to admit, my heart skipped a beat & I got really worried. When I was looking up the number for Tesla (within another 3 mins or so) the car suddenly started charging. WHEW!! Man is it fast! Overall, I was so excited it worked & the whole trip cost me about $2 just for parking in the garage. Cannot beat that!