Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
When I got there & plugged in, nothing happened. My light didn't pulse green & my screen said, "not charging." :scared: I have to admit, my heart skipped a beat & I got really worried. When I was looking up the number for Tesla (within another 3 mins or so) the car suddenly started charging. WHEW!!

the first time I used it, it didn't start charging instantly, and I got a bad feeling . . . but it was fine. Mine didn't take 3 minutes to start ramping up the amps/volts and charging, but it did take longer than I expected (I expected like 5 seconds).

Man is it fast! Overall, I was so excited it worked & the whole trip cost me about $2 just for parking in the garage. Cannot beat that!

:-D

For those who have yet to visit this location.

Tesla Motors Model S Superchargers Uptown Station Parking Deck Normal Illinois WebM video

Haven't read all the way through this long thread yet. I am aware that at least one local has been active within the topic.

The wind farm does NOT power any locals - the power is sent through the grid to power Chicago. That wind farm gives an awesome tour if you are ever in the area.

Twin Groves Wind Farm

While I'm all for supporting local restaurants. Not sure why no one has complimented the food quality at the Marriott. When we stayed there last year for the EVening of EVs event held on Thursday January 26th 2012 = food was very high quality.

Last edited:
Normal Supercharger update.

Anyone who was at the get together a month or so ago remembers we got ICEd at one of the Supercharger spots. We were all concerned that there was no signage for Tesla only parking.

Well stopped at the Supercharger in Normal today and they've fianlly put up sinage. Unfortunately spots 1A and 1B are marked as "General Parking". 2A and 2B are still reserved for Tesla.

So, my husband had a great idea for anyone using the Superchargers in Normal. If you arrive and 1A or 1b are open use those first, so we can keep as many spots available for Teslas to use as possible.

On a happy note, you can now get your parking tickets validated on the weekends between 6:30am and 10:30pm downstairs at the Bus Ticket and Parking Info desk. You just need to show your key fob.

Happy travels. Off to Rockford to try out the new station there.

Liz

I covered the validation in my link above.

"Supposedly if you are an electric car owner and go to the information booth inside Uptown Station – you can get your parking garage ticket validated – so you pay no fee for parking. The first hour is free for everyone – gas or EV."

The desk is near the seating area for the buses just after you get off the elevators. Go up ramp or stairs and you should see it in the middle to your right. I'm not sure if it is staffed 24/7.

Re-looking at my video - it looks like metal brackets are in fact imbedded in the concrete just waiting for signage for the first two charging slots. I'll be able to check if they are there next week during my revisit.

Didn't have enough time to hop off Amtrak Lincoln Service heading to Chicago two weeks ago to check the chargers then. Same situation on the way home a few days later on same route.

Last edited:
I drove from my house (Yorkville area) to Bloomington supercharger, to U of I, back to Bloomington, back home today. It only took 40 mins to refill "tank" & I could've made it home without charging on the way back, but I have range anxiety ;) There were no other cars, Tesla or otherwise, parked in any of the Tesla spots at 8:30 this morning, nor at 3:00 this afternoon. I was hoping to meet a Tesla owner! Next time! I had taken this trip in my ICE car, but it pained me to pay for gas & my Tesla ride is way more comfortable. Once you go Tesla, you can't go ICE. :)

The empty brackets now have signs that state General Parking is allowed by the first two superchargers. Tonight there are no Model S charging at any of the four available chargers. There was suppose to be a local S owner at my hotel - haven't seen it out front yet.

A City of Normal i-MiEV is charging at one of the Eaton Level 2 chargers. The other 2 city owned i-MiEV are on level 4 not charging.

Kept on rolling that you did. Unfortunately attendance was light all day. It was a great day for such an event and the rain held off.

You didn't go unnoticed by everyone who was still hanging out or running the gathering.

I barely got to the road in time - but I got your rolling recorded.:biggrin:

Tesla Model S National Plug In Day Normal Illinois | Iggy Uncensored some browsers may need WebM plugin to view video.

Clprenz was hoping you were going to turn back in at the park entrance - so was I.

Just got back to St. Louis form Normal, IL. Noticed a sign taped to each of the superchargers requesting owners to fill out a survey for the town of Normal (http://www.normal.org/forms.aspx?FID=135). Be sure to fill it out the next time you utilize the supercharger up there!

Make sure to tell them if you patronized local stores or restaurants. I'm sure that's what they are after.

Total Cable Solutions S owner asked me about the elevators. I was so tired that day I gave a horrible reply. Basically one set of buttons takes you to city offices. The other set lets you exit the elevator backdoor to parking garage. It confuses almost everyone even though buttons are marked decently. I still hit the wrong button at times when there.