Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Superchargers in Northern California (location speculation)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
By the way, the map you're showing from El Dorado County was updated in December of 2015. Roughly the same information though. Although, early this year I spoke with a representative from El Dorado County's Air Quality Management District, and he mentioned the that the site originally proposed for South Lake Tahoe was somehow rejected after the initial site survey and they were looking for a new location. I haven't gone back since to get any new information, but Tesla was going to be looking for a new site. They seemed to think they were still planning on a 2016 build though.

I've been waiting for South Lake Tahoe and pretty much given up. You can top off at Folsom on the way up but that doesn't leave you with a lot once you are there. I'm getting a 50-amp circuit dropped into our house there. It gets installed next week, which as fate would have it probably means the SLT will appear a week or two later. :)

Played manually in Gimp for 2 minutes, and came up with this, going from Tesla's "now" map to their "2017" map:

Now.png
2017.png

I didn't put a lot of time into it, so, for instance, I never made a transparency for them both (that would be a good idea!). Actually, when I have more time, I should do that. Anyway, I just did the comparison by eye. And, by eye, I was able to see a few new locations. It's very fuzzy where they might actually end up.

I realized that in anything under an 85 car starting out in Aptos, EVTripPlanner.Com & ABetterRoutePlanner.Com won't route me down US-101 past King City to get to Santa Maria, and has me taking a huge detour through Central Valley to get there. So, I'm going to wing it, and stop at Level 2 chargers along the way, and also get a top-off in Salinas at a DC fast charger (EVGO Chademo) right before the launch into the deep valley with no DC chargers. I have a feeling once I get to my actual car and hit the in-car route planner, it will be more optimistic, but throw speed errors as I drive.

But, this all got me thinking, even though I'm for Tesla pausing SuperCharger construction if they're about to come out with a new charging/battery state of charge paradigm (which I have little idea what that might be other than speculation), I was wondering if Tesla was planning any new SuperCharger construction in that area anyway. Well, quite a bit, but only at the very edges -- it looks like there's a few redundancy SuperChargers near Atascadero that are closer to Salinas than Atascadero, and a SuperCharger in Salinas, which is closer to Atascadero than Seaside. That will close that gap even if slightly, even though it's only a few dozens of miles, and furthermore, they all seem to be on the path to somewhere more than a single charger smack dab in the middle of Salinas Valley would be. But, this would tip the balance for the third party route planners from what I am seeing, and put me into a situation where I'd be routed down 101, although I'd still probably have to lunch someplace with a corrupt law enforcement at a Level 2 charger with the way my foot and awakeness functions work.

That seems to be about the spacing Tesla used for many of their new routes, for instance, Gustine, Fresno, Fish Camp, etc. So, it seems reasonable.

I'm about to go see family in Santa Maria, so don't have time to explore further.

Last edited:
I realized that in anything under an 85 car starting out in Aptos, EVTripPlanner.Com & ABetterRoutePlanner.Com won't route me down US-101 past King City to get to Santa Maria, and has me taking a huge detour through Central Valley to get there. So, I'm going to wing it, and stop at Level 2 chargers along the way, and also get a top-off in Salinas at a DC fast charger (EVGO Chademo) right before the launch into the deep valley with no DC chargers. I have a feeling once I get to my actual car and hit the in-car route planner, it will be more optimistic, but throw speed errors as I drive.
I believe there's an EVGo CHAdeMO under construction in King City. I know it is at least planned, and it will be quite welcome for me when I'm pulling the trailer on that route. But a Supercharger in King City would be even better. Especially one within walking distance of Tacos La Potranca de Jalisco. ;)

Reactions: JimVandegriff

I don't understand why you can't just drive to the Atascadero supercharger, top off there and then continue on your way to Santa Maria. There must be something I'm missing.

I believe there's an EVGo CHAdeMO under construction in King City. I know it is at least planned, and it will be quite welcome for me when I'm pulling the trailer on that route. But a Supercharger in King City would be even better. Especially one within walking distance of Tacos La Potranca de Jalisco. ;)

Asi, te gusta la comida tapatia? Esa comida es tanta sabrosa!

I realized that in anything under an 85 car starting out in Aptos, EVTripPlanner.Com & ABetterRoutePlanner.Com won't route me down US-101 past King City to get to Santa Maria, and has me taking a huge detour through Central Valley to get there.
From Aptos it is only 139 miles to Atascadero with little elevation change. Charge there and continue on to Santa Maria. An S60 can easily do that according to evtripplanner.com

• Helpful
Reactions: Ulmo
Based on Tesla's new Find Us page with oodles of "Coming Soon" superchargers, here is where they are in Northern California:
Mt. Shasta (expansion?)
Redding
Laytonville
Mendocino
Truckee (next to I-80) (expansion?)
Rocklin II
Roseville II
Folsom III
Sacramento
Vacaville (expansion?)
Napa II
Fairfield
Petaluma II
Vallejo
Concord
Stockton
San Rafael
Sausalito
Emeryville
San Francisco I
San Francisco II
San Francisco III
San Ramon
Manteca (expansion?)
Daly City
Dublin II
Hayward
San Mateo II
San Mateo III
Fremont II (pins aren't precise - presumably this is Kato Road site under construction hiatus)
Mountain View (expansion?)
Sunnyvale
San Jose
Cupertino
Gilroy (expansion?)
Santa Cruz
San Felipe
Fresno II
Salinas
Monterey
Harris Ranch (expansion?)
Lone Pine II
Cambria
San Luis Obispo
Bakersfield II
Baker
Mojave (expansion?)
Tejon Ranch (expansion?)
Yermo, CA
Barstow, CA (expansion?)

Based on Tesla's new Find Us page with oodles of "Coming Soon" superchargers, here is where they are in Northern California:
Mt. Shasta (expansion?)
Redding
Laytonville
Mendocino
Rocklin II
Roseville II
Folsom III
Sacramento
Vacaville (expansion?)
Napa II
Fairfield
Petaluma II
Vallejo
Concord
Stockton
San Rafael
Sausalito
Emeryville
San Francisco I
San Francisco II
San Francisco III
San Ramon
Manteca (expansion?)
Daly City
Dublin II
Hayward
San Mateo II
San Mateo III
Fremont II (pins aren't precise - presumably this is Kato Road site under construction hiatus)
Sunnyvale
San Jose
Cupertino
Gilroy (expansion?)
Santa Cruz
San Felipe
Fresno II
Salinas
Monterey
Lone Pine II
Cambria
San Luis Obispo
Bakersfield II
Baker
Mojave (expansion?)
Tejon Ranch (expansion?)
Yermo, CA
Barstow, CA (expansion?)
Wow! That's a lot of superchargers!

Mt. Shasta (expansion?)
Redding
Laytonville
Mendocino
Rocklin II
Roseville II
Folsom III
Sacramento
Vacaville (expansion?)
Napa II
Fairfield
Petaluma II
Vallejo
Concord
Stockton
San Rafael
Sausalito
Emeryville
San Francisco I
San Francisco II
San Francisco III
San Ramon
Manteca (expansion?)
Daly City
Dublin II
Hayward
San Mateo II
San Mateo III
Sunnyvale
San Jose
Cupertino
Gilroy (expansion?)
Santa Cruz
San Felipe
Fresno II
Salinas
Monterey
Lone Pine II
Cambria
San Luis Obispo
Bakersfield II
Baker
Mojave (expansion?)
Tejon Ranch (expansion?)
Yermo, CA
Barstow, CA (expansion?)

This is an insane list. I am no wondering whether I should just supercharge on my way back from work and lower my utility costs.

Redding and Laytonville...YES! & Mendocino too...nice!

the 'find us' link up 2 posts has some oddness. it shows Grants Pass which has been there for 3 years or so as coming soon
I think the existing Supercharger locations that are shown in grey on the new map are likely sites that will be significantly expanded. But it is confusing.

I think the existing Supercharger locations that are shown in grey on the new map are likely sites that will be significantly expanded. But it is confusing.

I agree this is likely the case. However, it's currently strange given that this is the "Find Us" map that you can't tell the difference between planned superchargers and existing superchargers that will be expanded. The map is currently useless for actually planning a trip.

that would make sense if it actually made sense, like saying this is the case. Tesla sense I guess.
So based on Harris Ranch this is the case. could use some fixing, If someone didn't know this it would really look like these SC's are not there currently based on this map and I don't assume everyone gets in their car to plan a trip,or its that what we are expected to do?

Don't judge the location of the coming soon pins. They appear to be mainly located at the city rather than actual location. Sacramento SuperCharger pin is near where most maps pin for the city name
If you look at the screenshot for Roseville, CA and it shows Roseville, MI. There are no future Superchargers near Roseville, MI

Screen Shot 2017-04-24 at 3.36.47 PM.png