Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Superchargers in Northern California (location speculation)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Did anyone have a chance to search Milpitas permit database for the location of the Milpitas one? My guess is on SR-237 near the intersection of I-880. My son's guess is in The Great Mall's parking lot.

I guess one question would be whether it’s going to be a normal supercharger or an urban one. Great mall for an urban one would make sense.

Looks like it won’t open this year though, was tagged “by end of 2018” last time I checked.

If they have Merced, do they really need Mariposa? They're less than 40 miles apart.
Yes, we really need a Mariposa SuperCharger as CA 140 is the best route to Yosemite National Park year round or at least most of the year. This should have been the 1st or 2nd one built then we would most likely would not need to charge up in a day trip in Yosemite.

Actually from my perspective, both locations would be best. Yes, Merced is on 99 and is about 50 minutes from Fresno and 3 hours from Bakersfield (once that putative Supercharger is built.) Merced is also an hour south of Manteca and 2+ hours south of the Sacramento Supercharger that is currently under construction. Moreover, Merced would be well within range from the two Superchargers in Roseville and Rocklin and the two Superchargers in Folsom for those traveling those highways.

Mariposa would not only serve ingress and egress from Yosemite, but also would be the most likely highway to be open year 'round. Sometimes Big Oak Flat Road is closed, and sometimes like this year there are fires in or near Wawona or Fish Camp.

A Mariposa Supercharger also would permit people to traverse the Gold Rush Highway from Oakhurst to Placerville and beyond without worrying about finding a destination or day-charge to add range.

HWY 140 from Mariposa to Yosemite is called the All Weather Highway to Yosemite as it follows the Wild and Scenic Merced River and does not climb to the higher elevations that 120 and 41 do before dropping down to Yosemite Valley. 140 is therefore often the only way into Yosemite in the Winter when the other entrances have snow. Even at other times of year, rockslides and fire have closed each of the various entrances, so having an nearby alternate entrance is a good idea.

And as someone who has traveled up and down 49 from Placerville to Mariposa hundreds of times (fun in the Model S), I can tell you that travel on 49 is completely unserved when it comes to Superchargers.

Merced AND Mariposa make sense just like Fresno and Fish Camp, and Manteca and Groveland.

• Love
Reactions: Owner and McManX
Probably not but Tioga is a big hill so mariposa is closer, less charge time for my purposes
Alternatively, for a gateway SC they could put it in El Portal, but yeah, to approach the same flexibility and convenience of gas stations SCs will ultimately need to be spaced no more than about 1/2 hour apart, at all major intersections (Mariposa qualifies) and in the middle of long legs with no intersections, plus in gateway towns to all major tourist destinations.

It would be very desirable as an ultimate goal to have SCs at or near the junctions of all the major trans-Sierra highways along S.R. 49, i.e. Grass Valley/Nevada City, Auburn, Placerville, Jackson, Angel's Camp, Jamestown/Sonora, Mariposa and Oakhurst.

Alternatively, for a gateway SC they could put it in El Portal, but yeah, to approach the same flexibility and convenience of gas stations SCs will ultimately need to be spaced no more than about 1/2 hour apart, at all major intersections (Mariposa qualifies) and in the middle of long legs with no intersections, plus in gateway towns to all major tourist destinations.

It would be very desirable as an ultimate goal to have SCs at or near the junctions of all the major trans-Sierra highways along S.R. 49, i.e. Grass Valley/Nevada City, Auburn, Placerville, Jackson, Angel's Camp, Jamestown/Sonora, Mariposa and Oakhurst.

El portal would be nice, but there is more to do/eat in mariposa.

Yes, we really need a Mariposa SuperCharger as CA 140 is the best route to Yosemite National Park year round or at least most of the year. This should have been the 1st or 2nd one built then we would most likely would not need to charge up in a day trip in Yosemite.

CA 140 is certainly the best route to Yosemite for me, and I've been wanted a supercharger to facilitate this. However, since Merced to Yosemite village is only 160 miles round trip, that's good enough for me to not need to charge up in a day trip to Yosemite. While Mariposa might be slightly better I don't see it as a high priority at this point. Personally I'd rather have Jamestown for going to Dodge Ridge or something closer than Stockton for going to Bear Valley more.

I found something interesting in Fairfield when doing a Google search. In this list of new project submittals and approvals from 10/16-10/19 it includes "Tesla Charging Station" at 1350 Travis Blvd which is the Solano Town Center. This would be a classic supercharger site in a city which says there is one "Coming Soon" with a target opening in 2017. I sent an e-mail to the mall's general manager asking for confirmation that it is a supercharger.

I checked the October monthly detailed permit report for Redding (who doesn't?), which is a "Coming Soon" in 2017 site and found something interesting. Permit BLDC-2017-04278 calls for "INSTALLATION OF ELECTRIC VEHICLE CHARGERS". That by itself isn't that interesting, especially since Redding is promoting the installation of charging infrastructure - what is interesting is the value of the project: $85,000. I've seen Tesla supercharger installations valued from $75K-$150K so it's in the ballpark and that is alot of money to be spending on installation of some other chargers. The location is 1280 Dana Drive, which is a shopping center with a Target and a few fast food restaurants near the interchange of I-5 and CA-44. The permit was issued on October 17th, so whatever it is it's probably under construction. If anyone is passing through, please stop and take a look.

I checked the October monthly detailed permit report for Redding (who doesn't?), which is a "Coming Soon" in 2017 site and found something interesting. Permit BLDC-2017-04278 calls for "INSTALLATION OF ELECTRIC VEHICLE CHARGERS". That by itself isn't that interesting, especially since Redding is promoting the installation of charging infrastructure - what is interesting is the value of the project: $85,000. I've seen Tesla supercharger installations valued from $75K-$150K so it's in the ballpark and that is alot of money to be spending on installation of some other chargers. The location is 1280 Dana Drive, which is a shopping center with a Target and a few fast food restaurants near the interchange of I-5 and CA-44. The permit was issued on October 17th, so whatever it is it's probably under construction. If anyone is passing through, please stop and take a look.
That is the first of the CEC funded Corridor Fast Charging Stations.
CEC CORRIDOR TARGET DCFC and L2 | Redding, CA | Electric Car Charging Station | PlugShare
244469.jpg

• Informative
Reactions: emupilot
Sounds very supercharger esk. Good find. You get to name it, but I'm sure moderators will want to see a whole in the ground to make it legit on supercharge.info.
Great access off 5. Totally makes sense
If someone finds a Redding city permit for multiple DC chargers and it says “Tesla” in the permit, then feel free to start a new thread.

That is the first of the CEC funded Corridor Fast Charging Stations.
CEC CORRIDOR TARGET DCFC and L2 | Redding, CA | Electric Car Charging Station | PlugShare
244469.jpg
I wonder what will happen when the Bolt/Jag/Audi EV's are vying to use these single station CCS stations? I remember pulling into Harris Ranch in Jan 2013 when there was only one charger. The Model S ahead of me on I-5 pulled in 10 minutes before me. So I had to wait 45 minutes to charge. It won't be a great experience for those BEV owners if they run into this problem because all of the DCFC CCS chargers only have a single output.