Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Superchargers in Northern California (location speculation)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Perhaps this has already been reported, but I found this in a report to the City Council of Richmond CA on September 15th 2017:

Met with representatives of Tesla, together with Denee Evans, Transportation Services, and Senior Deputy City Attorney Everett Jenkins, to discuss installationof charging stations in Richmond;

Obviously there are no specifics, but at least they are working on it.

• Informative
Reactions: Chuq and bmah
I live in Sonora on hwy 49, currently no superchargers that I know of on 49? The locations I would like are Merced and Stockton, we travel through these cities when heading north to Sacramento or South to SoCal or Monterey. Jackson would be nice also, trying to get to Tahoe from Sonora in our X75D would be stressful but Kirkwood would fix that also.

I live in Sonora on hwy 49, currently no superchargers that I know of on 49? The locations I would like are Merced and Stockton, we travel through these cities when heading north to Sacramento or South to SoCal or Monterey. Jackson would be nice also, trying to get to Tahoe from Sonora in our X75D would be stressful but Kirkwood would fix that also.

Stockton and Merced are on Tesla's official coming by end of 2018 map. This will help make 99 a viable alternative to Interstate 5. Merced, with the existing Groveland and Fish Ranch, will make it so all 3 western routes to Yosemite are covered.

Reactions: ChrisJ
Stockton and Merced are on Tesla's official coming by end of 2018 map. This will help make 99 a viable alternative to Interstate 5. Merced, with the existing Groveland and Fish Ranch, will make it so all 3 western routes to Yosemite are covered.
Agreed. However for those entering Yosemite via Hwy 140 the trick is finding someplace to destination charge when in or near the park. And for those who tow trailers it becomes even more challenging. While Mariposa is not on Tesla’s future locations map, I hope that in a few years there will be a Supercharger there.

Regarding traveling in the Yosemite area, a Supercharger in Lee Vining would be very helpful. From Groveland to Lee Vining is 104 miles via Tioga Pass. Given the elevation change and possible cold temperatures you could use up to 200 Rated Miles on that trip. And if towing a trailer it likely isn’t possible to get from Groveland to Mammoth, whereas you may be able to make it to Lee Vining.

Hoping for Lee Vining in 2019. :)

Regarding traveling in the Yosemite area, a Supercharger in Lee Vining would be very helpful. From Groveland to Lee Vining is 104 miles via Tioga Pass. Given the elevation change and possible cold temperatures you could use up to 200 Rated Miles on that trip. And if towing a trailer it likely isn’t possible to get from Groveland to Mammoth, whereas you may be able to make it to Lee Vining.

During the majority of the "cold Weather" part of the year, 120, Tioga Pass is closed. I agree for the Summer

During the majority of the "cold Weather" part of the year, 120, Tioga Pass is closed. I agree for the Summer
I was thinking the same thing. During the part of the year that road is open, the temps are unlikely to be cold enough to be a real range killer. Also the speed limit through the park is quite low which helps range. Last summer, I drove Groveland to Lee Vining and back to Fish Camp on one charge in my S90D and had range to spare. I also did a detour down into Yosemite Valley on that trip.

Agreed. However for those entering Yosemite via Hwy 140 the trick is finding someplace to destination charge when in or near the park. And for those who tow trailers it becomes even more challenging. While Mariposa is not on Tesla’s future locations map, I hope that in a few years there will be a Supercharger there.

Been begging for Mariposa and Lee Vining since I got my Tesla.

Yes, we really need a Mariposa SuperCharger as CA 140 is the best route to Yosemite National Park year round or at least most of the year. This should have been the 1st or 2nd one built to access Yosemite then we would most likely would not need to charge in a day trip in Yosemite.

[QUOTE="ecarfan]Regarding traveling in the Yosemite area, a Supercharger in Lee Vining would be very helpful. From Groveland to Lee Vining is 104 miles via Tioga Pass. Given the elevation change and possible cold temperatures you could use up to 200 Rated Miles on that trip. And if towing a trailer it likely isn’t possible to get from Groveland to Mammoth, whereas you may be able to make it to Lee Vining.

Hoping for Lee Vining in 2019. :)[/QUOTE]

Also agree with you about Lee Vining. Need Superchargers located near any Large National or State Parks and specially Yosemite National Park, helps a lot to avoid range anxiety. Specially for those with smaller batteries and/or trailers.

Last edited:
There was a thread some time ago about the Whoa Nellie Deli getting destination chargers. That proposition fell by the wayside when someone here discovered that there is a large complex in the planning stages that is going to be at the junction of SR120/US395 just east of the Mobil station and mini mart.

The promotional materials implied that there would be EV charging stations at the complex.

It is unclear how many and what type of EV charging stations are planned. Perhaps there will be Superchargers there. Regardless, even HPWC at 208/48 ought to give enough of a boost in 45 minutes to reach Mammoth Lakes--isn't that less than 40 miles?

Hopeful speculation about the 2nd Supercharger planned for Napa. They are doing construction on the public parking lot at the corner of Pearl and West St next to the existing Chargepoint level 2 chargers. The construction looks a little different that what I'd expect if they were building more level 2 chargers. If that was a Supercharger, I could have charged up while eating lunch today and I wouldn't have had to stop at the existing Napa Supercharger on my way out of town.

I searched the permits but didn't find anything: eTRAKiT

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Chuq
My understanding of the electrical system in Lee Vining is that town is still not connected to the rest of the electrical grid. They run off a hydroelectric dam just outside of town, and that likely limits the power availability for superchargers there.

Oh intersting. Would this still be possible when the hotel goes in? Someone posted plans at some point either on this or another thread which referenced ev chargers (unclear what kind).

Am amazed we still have not found out anything about the multiple planned Superchargers on the Peninsula, in and around San Francisco.

Permits searches seem needlessly difficult around here. Remember how San Mateo Bridgepointe caught us by surprise?

According to Find Us | Tesla they're planning one more in San Mateo. I wouldn't be surprised to see it in the Hillsdale Mall renovations. That's supposed to include 13 EV chargers, but so far I haven't seen any evidence that Tesla will be involved. Could also be a metrocharger in one of the new housing developments.

Could be the San Carlos pin will turn out to be in Redwood City instead: Possible Redwood City Service Center and (maybe) Supercharger

South San Francisco has something going on as of December: http://www.ssf.net/home/showdocument?id=5594 and City of South San Francisco - File #: 17-1180 — but no details that I could find.

Daly City has another gray pin, but no useful permit search that I could find. SF has a decent permit search, but if there are SCs pending I couldn't come up with the right keywords. I found a lot of folks installing home chargers though.

• Informative
Reactions: e-FTW