Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Superchargers in Northern California (location speculation)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Is Rocklin open yet?

What information do you have that a Supercharger was going to be opened in Rocklin? If you read the posts from the past few days, there have been a number of them (including mine) wondering if Tesla had a plan to put one along I-80 east of Sacramento. Last we checked, no one had any positive information that this was in the works. It is not on the Tesla Supercharger map.

The only positive info about rocklin I have heard was from a service tech who said supposedly they are looking at options near 80 as Folsom is a pain to get to across town. The two he mentioned were a mall somewhere and the service center... Again, this is someone who is not directly involved. I have no clue where he gathered his info. But they haven't even decided if there will be one, much les where, and even further from being close to open yet.

Here's Mt Shasta. Sorry for the horrible photo but it was the middle of the night. It looks finished but it's not yet connected. Also, you'll notice that the parking signs are on the wrong side of the charging stations - they assume that our charging ports are on the right, but they're on the left.
Awesome. Almost makes me want to road-trip just to get the Mt-Shasta-On-My-Charge-Map achievement.

Awesome. Almost makes me want to road-trip just to get the Mt-Shasta-On-My-Charge-Map achievement.

I tried again on Sunday night, no dice. The hotel staff said the guys working on the station were still staying there.

But I did get an only slightly better photo.
IMG_20131020_222134.jpg

Mt. Shasta must be active, because it's listed on the Tesla site and map! Has anyone been there to try it out yet?

That's great news! That was the key missing station on the way to the Bay Area. (Actually, coming back north is when it's the most critical.) Springfield is now the lone straggler, but an 85 can make it between Grants Pass and Woodburn both directions with conservative driving.

I was reading the supercharger threads the other day and somebody that stopped by one of the sites under construction said that the ADK Electric crew told them they were heading to Vacaville after they were completely finished with the ones further north. Springfield, OR (Eugene) should be open any day now, so I-5 is basically done. Vacaville is important to many Bay Area people since it allows you to avoid going out of your way to Folsom when going north.

Edit: Found it.

The crew at Grants Pass said that [Detroit Lake] was one of their next sites (Detroit Lake OR, Vacaville CA, and Yuma AZ). Detroit Lake is surprising but it comes from the crew that is about to do it.

Last edited:
I had a feeling this was the case. Those poles were not at all consistent with the way superchargers are designed. Bummer.

There is another spot in the Vacaville outlet malls where there are a few Level 2 charges side by side. It's in a parking lot on the far west side near a bowling alley (from memory) and not as crowded as the other parking lots where more of the high-end shops were located. I had to make a stop in the mall earlier this year and eventually found these chargers. There seemed like plenty of room if Tesla wanted to build Superchargers adjacent to these Level 2 chargers, but I'm just speculating.

If you look at my post in the supercharger thread, I reviewed that exact spot last week. Tesla Supercharger network - Page 186 That outlet is the same chain as a ton of other super charger locations. That location has a lot of construction right now, and there were two spots that fit the description. I wouldn't count it out even though there are some rumors it's just a regular charging station.

that being said, there is only one other strip mall where superchargers might go. It is on the other side of the freeway, nut tree plaza. I saw 4 spots marked off there last weekend. I haven't been back, but I have seen zero progress on the spots in the outlet mall.

The nut tree plaza possibility was near a five guys, Jamba Juice, and a rubios. There is a little kids amusement park, and there I are also some other restaurants further away in the mall. There are your typical strip mall stores (best buy, petsmart)

Also note that the outlet mall is divided in two sections across a road, so some mught see it as two malls.There are no other really large malls, just some smaller strip malls.

Last edited:
I went to Manteca today looking for signs of the next I-5 supercharger. No luck, I didn't see any signs of supercharger construction. Manteca is several miles east of I-5, so locations on the west side of town right off Hwy 120 seem most likely for a SC.

The shopping center on the north side of Hwy 120 at the Airport Way exit looks like a great location. On the east side of the shopping center is a Starbucks, Chilis, Jamba Juice and other places to eat, all within a short walking distance. There's enough available parking for a SC.

Another shopping center a little further east at the Union Rd exit on the south side of Hwy 120 is also a possibility. There's tons of available parking since the shopping center is not fully developed yet. There's only a few places to eat. And for an unusual shopping experience, there's a ginormous Bass Pro Shop there.

A little further east on the north side of Hwy 120 off the Main St. exit is another shopping center that's a possibility, though it seems less likely. There's several places to eat, but other than at the Walmart, parking is tight.

In addition to being well situated between the Harris Ranch and Corning Superchargers near I-5, Manteca would also put some much needed supercharger love along the heavily travelled Hwy 99. MS owners traveling to destinations along Hwy 99 or to Yosemite would really benefit from a SC in Manteca.

Last edited: