Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Superchargers in Northern California (location speculation)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Didn't they have a hell of time trying Bishop before? Bishop would be really welcome when I have my camper. I love that section of 395.

We'll have to see how realistic these are. I always view them as "aspirational."

Yes, Ohmman. I was in contact with the building and planning department in Bishop three-plus years ago. The attendant informed me that tentative plans had been submitted pending the location of the SC there. She said that Tesla was looking at two different locations in town. If my memory is correct, one of the locations wanted an extravagant amount of rent from Tesla, and the other location was in a small parking lot and would have been restricted as to the number of stalls (apparently nixing any potential for expansion in the future.)

She said that Tesla finally threw in the towel and settled upon Mammoth Lakes.

Fan,

You might be able to make it to Topaz Lake/Gardnerville SC with a range charge at Folsom-Palladio. The maps say that it is 122 1/2 miles via US50, Luther Pass on SR89, then south through Markleeville over Monitor Pass, then down to US395. Topaz Lake is < five miles north from the eastern terminus of SR89 at US395. Parts of SR89 south of Markleeville ascending Monitor Pass are narrow, however.

The downhill stretches from Echo Summit and Luther Pass and Monitor Pass might regenerate enough juice to reach Topaz Lake.

I do not have an X; have never towed, so I may be blowing smoke. But it might be something to consider.

At least US50 is four lanes a good 25-some miles east of Hangtown.

Finally getting Mariposa and Bishop!!!!! Both target 2019!

(still waiting for Lee Vining)
Wow, thanks for the heads up on Mariposa target opening in 2019 (hopefully real early 2019)

Also noted that Merced is target opening in 2018.

Passing thru Merced & Mariposa on CA-140 to Yosemite Valley & back is the best route for my wife & I for our day trip. This is the best route for most of the year for us. Since we got our Tesla S 75, we have not been back to Yosemite Valley due to range anxiety. Do not want to depend on needing to charge at Yosemite area.

Wow, thanks for the heads up on Mariposa target opening in 2019 (hopefully real early 2019)

Also noted that Merced is target opening in 2018.

Passing thru Merced & Mariposa on CA-140 to Yosemite Valley & back is the best route for my wife & I for our day trip. This is the best route for most of the year for us. Since we got our Tesla S 75, we have not been back to Yosemite Valley due to range anxiety. Do not want to depend on needing to charge at Yosemite area.

We usually go through groveland on the way in and mariposa on the way out for day trips. But once mariposa is up and running, will solely use that entrance.

Yes, when towing on the 395 a Supercharger in Bishop will be welcome! I’m anxious to take my trailer to the east side of the Sierras.

Right now, getting from the Bay Area to that part of 395 when towing is very difficult unless you go through South Lake Tahoe. The most direct route over Tioga Pass requires managing the 120 miles between the Groveland and Mammoth Superchargers, and given the up and down nature of the terrain that may not be possible when towing a camper trailer of any signficant size even at the low speeds that Hwy 120 demands. There is a Tesla HPC at Evergreen Lodge off Hwy 120 just before the Yosemite Park entrance, but parking there is a crowded and it would be challenging finding a place to unhitch and leave the trailer while charging there. But you have to be a guest to use that charger and there are no trailer campsites there.

In the past on TMC there has been hope that a Supercharger would go in at Lee Vining but that location has never been on the map. And PlugShare shows no EV charging in Lee Vining. Frustrating. Fish Camp to Mammoth is slightly farther, so no advantage starting from there to get over the mountains to the east side. You would need to stop in Yosemite Valley and take your chances with slow charging there. In the summer that would be a real hassle with all the traffic.

Also no experience towing here, but I was surprised at how little energy the Tioga Pass trip used. I drove Groveland to Lee Vining and back over the pass to Fish Camp and had range to spare. And I even did the drive out to Half Dome prior to going to Fish Camp. This was in a degraded S90D with about 280 rated miles on a full charge. Since the road isn't open during the cold months, you will most certainly have favorable temperatures and as you noted the speeds are quite low.

The Mobil station with the Whoa Nellie Deli where the Tioga road meets 395 would be a good spot for a supercharger. It's not right in the bustling metropolis of Lee Vining, but they have lots of space there.

Also no experience towing here, but I was surprised at how little energy the Tioga Pass trip used. I drove Groveland to Lee Vining and back over the pass to Fish Camp and had range to spare. And I even did the drive out to Half Dome prior to going to Fish Camp..

I had the same experience last summer and was happy that the trip did not use all that much energy.

do you mean Glacier Point? It would be a bit hard to get a Tesla up Half Dome!

I have a short camping trip planned next month, up through Coloma into Tahoe, over to June Lake, back to Ellery Lake, and then home. I'll have hookups in June Lake and will have a full charge leaving there, but obviously will have towing and vampire drain to contend with headed to and camping at the no-hookup Ellery Lake campground. It's 104 miles between June Lake and the Groveland Supercharger, but I have plenty of elevation loss in my favor.

EVTO suggests I would arrive in Groveland with a charge near 45%, despite hauling the camper. I'll report back on how it turns out.

Reactions: McManX
I have found a strong candidate site for the Marin City supercharger which has a target opening in summer 2018. Marin City is actually an unincorporated area whose mailing address is Sausalito. The Marin Gateway Shopping Center is there, right on Highway 101 at Donahue Street. The Marin County building permits received report from February 17th has an entry:

190 Donahue St Sausalito
Marin Gateway Garp Llc
(12,50,92) E V Charging Statio
$150,000

That's alot of money for a charging station, and is consistent with the values we've seen before for supercharger stations ($75-150,000). I haven't found this site in the permits issued reports, so it is apparently still in permitting.

I have found a strong candidate site for the Marin City supercharger which has a target opening in summer 2018. Marin City is actually an unincorporated area whose mailing address is Sausalito. The Marin Gateway Shopping Center is there, right on Highway 101 at Donahue Street. The Marin County building permits received report from February 17th has an entry:

That's alot of money for a charging station, and is consistent with the values we've seen before for supercharger stations ($75-150,000). I haven't found this site in the permits issued reports, so it is apparently still in permitting.

Plus there's a Target at 180 Donahue, so it's a likely site even before the permit.

Looks like a couple new San Jose locations have been added to the Tesla website:
- South San Jose
- Almaden

Find Us | Tesla

Both of them are showing target opening in Summer 2018.

For the Almaden location, my guess would be near Bass Pro (Almaden Expwy and Hwy 85).
Not sure about the South San Jose location though.

Bass Pro was my guess back in Nov 2015: Superchargers in Northern California (location speculation)

But this location is actually San Jose, so I think this might be the "South San Jose" location, although the Target on Cottle (right next door to my work place) might be a likely candidate too.

Bass Pro was my guess back in Nov 2015: Superchargers in Northern California (location speculation)

But this location is actually San Jose, so I think this might be the "South San Jose" location, although the Target on Cottle (right next door to my work place) might be a likely candidate too.

"Almaden" could refer to the Almaden area (virtually pointless to put superchargers there if you look at the location) or the Almaden Expressway or a plaza name.

If it refers to a plaza name, then there are only 2 possible locations: Almaden Ranch (Bass Pro) or Almaden Plaza (Costco). I'd be happy with either location.

I sent an e-mail to the property manager - I will post here if I hear back.

I asked the property manager if Tesla superchargers were coming to the Marin Gateway Shopping Center. Here is her response:

That is our hopes. Nothing in concrete yet.

Thank you.

So it's not blue-dot worthy yet, but it's worth keeping an eye on the weekly permits issued reports and the site for any action.

There is a parking lot behind Roberts Hardware & Tack (behind Buck’s Restaurant) but it’s crowded, just like the parking areas around the establishments you mention.

Here is my guess as to the location; they could slightly expand this paved area behind the Woodside city hall and add some spaces by pushing out the curb at these GPS coordinates 37.4278982,-122.2512259

Tesla won’t be putting a Supercharger at the Skylonda intersection where Alice’s is. Much too far from a major travel route, no space, and certainly inadequate power supplies.

I was surprised to see Woodside as well, which begs the question: which Tesla exec lives there? (I was told by a reliable source that Franz had "suggested" the one at the Burlingame SC, so...).

Space-wise, it's going to be fun...the bikes, the motorcycles, the horses and now the Teslas.

I agree that the area by Town Hall is probably a good guess, but even that is tight at times already... it will be interesting to see if the Town agrees to expand the paved area, this would surprise me. On the other end, one could plug in, have dinner at he Pub and then go home with a full charge. o_O

• Informative
Reactions: bxr140
It’s worth noting that there’s a decent amount of Woodside on the east side of 280 too. Though...there’s no(?) retail activity over there.

True on both points. 100pct residential unless you consider the country club off 84 retail :) One location that would make (more?) sense would be Sharon Heights off Sand Hill in Menlo Park I think.

If it is Woodside though, one can only hope this won't get any press coverage before these things are live because this "quaint little town" has shown it can be very "vocal" over items that most towns/cities would find normal/reasonable.