Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Superchargers in Northern California (location speculation)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
FYI the Woodside town budget was discussed last night (effective July 1st) and there is a mention of "a feasibility study and possible investment of $300,000 to install solar panels and electric-vehicle charging stations at public facilities." Not sure if this is Tesla-related or not, but I will go out on a limb and say that no matter what this is, this won't go live by in CY18, unfortunately, but there is hope though.

On a related topic, what is the traditional "business model" for SuperChargers? are towns/property owners covering part of the construction cost?

On a related topic, what is the traditional "business model" for SuperChargers? are towns/property owners covering part of the construction cost?
And that would be a great topic for you to start in the Charging Standards & Infrastructure forum. :) This forum is for speculation about future Supercharger locations in Northern California.

On TMC there is an appropriate forum for any topic. Even Off Topic topics. :cool:

Reactions: mblakele
And that would be a great topic for you to start in the Charging Standards & Infrastructure forum. :) This forum is for speculation about future Supercharger locations in Northern California.

On TMC there is an appropriate forum for any topic. Even Off Topic topics. :cool:

Ouch.

Since we're here to *speculate*, getting insights into this question (or thoughts or guesses) may lead to different speculations and outcome, which would be perfectly on topic IMHO.

For instance, if a given town has to foot part of the bill, this may very well impact a town's willingness to move forward. The number I shared could mean completely different things as well. If the town is not expected to foot the bill, are we looking at a 12-months long study costing $300k before making a décision? If part of the $300k is likely spent on part of the build out, then we could look at a 1-month long study costing $10k only which may lead to a quicker decision and rolll out considering the intricacies of this specific town's approval process?

Also, if the town has to fund part of the build out, this could mean that other constituants would speak up and request , oh, I don't know, free hay for the local horses, and kill that entire project.

Is that enough speculation re. a potential supercharger NorCal location for you? :)

• Funny
Reactions: McManX
Any movement on the Woodside Supercharger? Tesla Still seems to show "summer 2018" but I seriously doubt that if there is no progress.

This is pure speculation on my part (ahem), but there is now way this gets done this summer. I would not bet on CY2018 either, but would love to be wrong. On the positive side, the new mayor is very much eager to get things to move faster overall, so there is hope.

The only thing I could find in the Town budget (effective July 1st) which was approved this week is $300k allocated to "Solar and EV installation" page 66 below, but no building permit request on file.

https://www.woodsidetown.org/sites/...inance/page/23741/proposed_budget_2018-19.pdf

Man, you got my hopes up that there was going to be a supercharger at Hillsdale mall.

I think the OP is referring to how on the Supercharger map, there was previously a planned supercharger on the "Hillsdale" label. With the renovations at Hillsdale Mall, some thought they might build it there. In looking at the map now, that pin is no longer there, but there is another future supercharger planned for San Mateo, which could still be Hillsdale.

I was looking at some old threads, and there was talk about Hillsdale and 92 at one point, so was a bit curious.... Perhaps up by the Laurelwood Shopping Center? I suppose the Hillsdale Mall would be nice, given the renovations, but is close to Park Place, although that is always so full.

Aren't really any options along the 280 in this area....all seem to be on 101.

Earlier there was some talk about a Supercharger in the area of Hillsdale and 92. Anyone have any recent information or ideas if this is a reality or not, and if so when?
...on the Supercharger map, there was previously a planned supercharger on the "Hillsdale" label. With the renovations at Hillsdale Mall, some thought they might build it there. In looking at the map now, that pin is no longer there, but there is another future supercharger planned for San Mateo, which could still be Hillsdale.
Agreed. Currently the Tesla website shows a grey pin in downtown San Mateo, “Target opening in 2018”, which simply means that somewhere in San Mateo a new Supercharger location is planned to be built this year. It may be at the Hillsdale mall, which is currently being expanded, or it may not.

DC14127A-B799-4476-8912-01A52298C090.jpeg
There is construction near the Target (off of Eight Mile Road) in Stockton. Tesla’s website says that the Stockton supercharger will be finished sometime in 2018.

I have long suspected the location where I’ve seen the construction to be where Tesla supercharges might be installed due to its proximity to the Target, shopping, food, and the interstate (I-5).

I haven’t seen anything to confirm that superchargers are indeed going in but the concrete is all tore up, with trenches and piping. Looks like lots of possible electrical work going on, but I’m not an electrician so I’m not entirely sure.

Reactions: e-FTW
It could be permit BP18-04481 which is at Target's address:

Installation of electric vehicle charging station (EVCS) consisting of (1) level 2 charging unit, (3) 50kw DC fast chargers, (1) 800a switchgear assembly, (1) utility transformer, and (1) pedestrian light.

If the installation is as big as the area you marked out, there must be more than this, but I can't find anything else in the permit database.

It could be permit BP18-04481 which is at Target's address:

If the installation is as big as the area you marked out, there must be more than this, but I can't find anything else in the permit database.
50kW is common for Chademo and CCS, not Tesla SuperChargers. Furthermore, “fast DC chargers” is omission code for not Tesla (i.e., Chademo and/or CCS). Everything going in today is at least CCS, so the main question is if it has any Chademo. No Tesla in that permit.