Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Superchargers in Northern California (location speculation)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
By the way, on the Tesla.com/FindUs I noticed a new Service Center in Berkeley, CA.
I wonder when it opened and if any one already stopped by and look at it ?

Tesla - Service Center - Berkeley, CA USA .jpg

I am fairly certain that there is no Supercharger there. Seems like some sort of Plugshare "screw-up" entry.

The description you posted even says "By the Tech Museum" which is probably talking about the "Computer History Museum" over by the real supercharger location on Shoreline blvd. across the freeway.

I have recently driven by that pin location you showed and didn't see any sign of any Supercharger there.

Note, there is something called "The Tech Museum" in San Jose many miles away. It would make more sense for a Supercharger to go in there. Someone mixing up "The Tech Museum" and "The Computer History Museum" further sounds like the person creating that location didn't know what they were doing.

Plus they called it "my view supercharger" not "Mt. View Supercharger". So many things about that entry seem wrong & sloppy.

Last edited:
Reactions: MarcoRP
If you turn on the satellite view, you can see that area is just apartments, and no commercial / industrial property there where they would consider a Supercharger. Further, the address just shows a street name with no number, so I think the Plugshare map just put a generic pin location somewhere on that street.

mvsc2.png

I don't think plugshare researches and vets all the location info. It could just be one random plug-share user being sloppy with their "add location" function.

But, also note, Tesla's Supercharger web site has had a "coming in 2019" pin for Mountain View for a while now, so I am expecting there could be another location coming soon...

mvsc2-b.png

The "Coming Soon" pin points towards a location more "downtown" (which would make sense) but they say "location may vary", so not trying to read too much into that pin location.

No way there will be a Supercharger near that Plugshare pin. The most likely additional site in Mountain View would be the Target or Walmart off Showers Drive near El Camino Real and San Antonio Rd. 20 Urban stalls there would be nice. Not that I'd ever use them myself...

The thing about the El Camino & San Antonio neighborhood is that it's on the border of Los Altos, which also has a Coming Soon pin. I cannot think of a good Supercharger site in Los Altos unless they start using sites like municipal parking lots.

The "Coming Soon" pin points towards a location more "downtown" (which would make sense) but they say "location may vary", so not trying to read too much into that pin location.
PIN locations are simply placed in the center of whatever city the Supercharger will be. Never read anything into the specific location of the PIN.

The most likely additional site in Mountain View would be the Target or Walmart off Showers Drive near El Camino Real and San Antonio Rd.
The Target does seem like a likely location.

The thing about the El Camino & San Antonio neighborhood is that it's on the border of Los Altos, which also has a Coming Soon pin. I cannot think of a good Supercharger site in Los Altos unless they start using sites like municipal parking lots.

Ah, ye have so little faith ....it is true many of the shopping areas get crowded during peak times, so the challenge is finding a side of the parking areas that is less trafficked.

If they're trying to fill out the El Camino & San Antonio area, how about diagonally across from the big San Antonio development - i.e. behind Dittmer's in the lesser used area of that shopping center.

If filling out the 280 corridor, behind the Trader Joe's at the 85 junction (rather than the busy parking infront). Or Rancho Shopping Center at the Magdalena exit, the less-used parking to the side of the gym. And there's the Lucky between those two, with mostly unused parking, though that one's a bit farther away from a nearby freeway exist.

Of course all idle speculation...

Ah, ye have so little faith ....it is true many of the shopping areas get crowded during peak times, so the challenge is finding a side of the parking areas that is less trafficked.

If they're trying to fill out the El Camino & San Antonio area, how about diagonally across from the big San Antonio development - i.e. behind Dittmer's in the lesser used area of that shopping center.

If filling out the 280 corridor, behind the Trader Joe's at the 85 junction (rather than the busy parking infront). Or Rancho Shopping Center at the Magdalena exit, the less-used parking to the side of the gym. And there's the Lucky between those two, with mostly unused parking, though that one's a bit farther away from a nearby freeway exist.

Of course all idle speculation...
The Chevron and Trader Joe's in the block surrounded by Foothill / Homestead / 280 is technically in Los Altos while the Starbucks, Peet's, and Wells Fargo that appear to be in the same Plaza have Cupertino addresses. That Chevron was originally supposed to get a Hydrogen fueling station too. It was abandoned in the planning phase and the gas station across from Fremont High School in Sunnyvale was chosen instead.

Of the other sites you mentioned, the Lucky has the most consistently available parking. It also houses an EVgo station with two DCFCs. It is only 0.7mi and two traffic lights away from the Foothill exit off I-280. However, nearby amenities, not so much.

Re: SSF (South San Francisco) Tesla Supercharger Location

Hi all:

This would fall under location speculation. I went out on Saturday 5/4/19 to check if there's been any construction under way in regards to the upcoming SSF (South San Francisco) location. I took some photos of a lot right adjacent to the Embassy Suites Hotel at 250 Gateway Blvd. This area to me feels like it may be the place. It's next door to the Embassy Suites, and it's not too far off the freeway (101 North). So far however, there has been no ground breaking yet and I am not 100% sure that this is the place.

IMG_4400.jpg
IMG_4401.jpg
IMG_4402.jpg
IMG_4403.jpg
IMG_4404.jpg
IMG_4405.jpg
IMG_4406.jpg