Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Superchargers in Northern California (location speculation)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You know I have lived in California since I was 18, so 40 years. I don't know what's in that area you circled in red. I think Lassen is up there, but I have never been. Kinda like California's own
Ouch... :) Gotta say, We have a house on Almanor and I guess I'm kind of glad its off the grid for the rest of California as a fly over state, Lassen Park is amazing and we love it up there, but I still want my promised superchargers!
Screenshot_20201124-205920_Photos.jpg

• Love
Reactions: Janus and ohmman
That part of CA seems to be discussed more on the Northwest Tesla forums than it is here. Primarily because anyone driving from Seattle or Portland to Reno, Vegas, or even Phoenix might take that route and yes, with no superchargers, it is a bit of a concern for the less experienced Tesla owners. Just putting one supercharger in Susanville would make a world of difference. That being said, if anyone is curious, I've never had a problem doing a 1-2 hour top off at the Susanville Red Lion, and this essentially makes the Reno to Klamath Falls leg "easy."

• Informative
Reactions: israndy and Blup85
That part of CA seems to be discussed more on the Northwest Tesla forums than it is here. Primarily because anyone driving from Seattle or Portland to Reno, Vegas, or even Phoenix might take that route and yes, with no superchargers, it is a bit of a concern for the less experienced Tesla owners. Just putting one supercharger in Susanville would make a world of difference. That being said, if anyone is curious, I've never had a problem doing a 1-2 hour top off at the Susanville Red Lion, and this essentially makes the Reno to Klamath Falls leg "easy."

As have I, although on a different destination. I traversed 395 from its southern terminus off interstate 15 to Spokane Washington using available Superchargers at the time plus Susanville for 75 minutes to Alturas at the Hotel Niles for 90 minutes (patronized the hotel bar) to Burns at the Chamber of Commerce before reaching Pendleton.

I might add I have dual chargers in my car so could utilize the maximum amperage available (either 72 or 80) which saves time over the newer vehicles with a maximum of (not sure any more) 48.

US 395 is a truly amazing drive from the depths of the Mojave Desert to the Owens Valley to the Carson River Valley into the western edge of the Great Basin north of Susanville.

Ok, find me when and where the Sonoma supercharger will be.
Sorry, I hunt living chargers. Currently, there is no Sonoma (or Sonora dernit) Supercharger. I know there are some who track the permit office websites, but that's not me. I like to drive from opening to opening visiting parts of the country I would NEVER visit otherwise.

I lived in LA during college, but I never knew it like I do today with all the Supercharger visits down there I have made. Seen some amazing things, such a beautiful part of the country. Well, compared to like Idaho...

Reactions: Janus and MarcoRP
Sorry, I hunt living chargers. Currently, there is no Sonoma (or Sonora dernit) Supercharger. I know there are some who track the permit office websites, but that's not me. I like to drive from opening to opening visiting parts of the country I would NEVER visit otherwise.

I lived in LA during college, but I never knew it like I do today with all the Supercharger visits down there I have made. Seen some amazing things, such a beautiful part of the country. Well, compared to like Idaho...
No problem, we need emupilot to find out.

Tesla is looking at a potential future supercharger location somewhere near Weaverville, CA. The town is at the intersection of CA-299 and CA-3, about 1/3 of the way from Redding to Eureka (~45 miles west of Redding and ~100 miles east of Eureka).

https://www.trinitypud.com/pdf/minutes/2020 Minutes/202010 October 8.pdf

"Tesla Charging Station
Tesla has inquired about whether or not the District has capacity to provide 1,000 amp service at a location in Weaverville. Staff plans to meet with representatives on-site October 13, 2020. Director Morris inquired if Tesla had shared how they identified Weaverville as a potential location for charging stations, advising that Jim Aven had sent a request to Tesla directly for consideration. Mr. Hauser advised that Tesla did not share that information, but that the District had also contacted Tesla through their website to see if there was any interest in installing charging stations in Weaverville."

• Informative
Reactions: Zextraterrestrial
Tesla is looking at a potential future supercharger location somewhere near Weaverville, CA. The town is at the intersection of CA-299 and CA-3, about 1/3 of the way from Redding to Eureka (~45 miles west of Redding and ~100 miles east of Eureka).

https://www.trinitypud.com/pdf/minutes/2020 Minutes/202010 October 8.pdf

"Tesla Charging Station
Tesla has inquired about whether or not the District has capacity to provide 1,000 amp service at a location in Weaverville. Staff plans to meet with representatives on-site October 13, 2020. Director Morris inquired if Tesla had shared how they identified Weaverville as a potential location for charging stations, advising that Jim Aven had sent a request to Tesla directly for consideration. Mr. Hauser advised that Tesla did not share that information, but that the District had also contacted Tesla through their website to see if there was any interest in installing charging stations in Weaverville."

What a stupid response from the District. First they inquire of Tesla as to how Tesla determined to place a SC in Weaverville. Then they say that the District contacted Tesla to see if Tesla had interest in placing one in their town. Which is it?

I would say that it is pretty obvious that Weaverville is the only plausible candidate for a Supercharger between Redding and Interstate 5 and US101 just north of Eureka. (Willow Creek is too small--it may not have the utility capacity.) In addition, I am sure that many people head north on SR3 out of Weaverville to the west side of Lake Trinity or even to Siskiyou County at Yreka if they have been on 101 and need to head inland. The only other possible routing to Interstate 5 (other than US199 out of Crescent City to Grants Pass OR) would be SR96 out of Willow Creek, but that is much longer and much slower going.

If we assume that Tesla wants ultimately to connect all the dots across the country with Superchargers, SR299 east to Alturas and US395 lets north coast dwellers reach the Great Basin in eastern Oregon on into Idaho, Wyoming, and Montana with ease. A Supercharger in Weaverville advances that goal, Director.

What a stupid response from the District. First they inquire of Tesla as to how Tesla determined to place a SC in Weaverville. Then they say that the District contacted Tesla to see if Tesla had interest in placing one in their town. Which is it?
It's both. You're misunderstanding what was going on, Tesla wasn't present and there was no "response". These were minutes of a board meeting where the board staff (the General Manager) was updating the board members about general news, previous items of interest, ongoing projects, etc. Each item of said report will potentially generate some minor discussion and/or questions by the board members for further elucidation or clarification by the staff. The board aren't actually involved in the day to day running of affairs, they are just oversight and provide the decisions on policy and formal approval of applications. But it's the staff who arrange and shepherd projects/applications to and through the board. In this case, the GM was informing the board that Tesla had contacted the PUD about the potential for a supercharger in Weaverville. At this stage it is still early preliminary work, not a formal application. The inclusion in the report is just to make the board aware that there might be an application coming for the project in the future and to let them know what staff is working on. The questions and answers reported in the minutes are just casual discussion on the matter.

Though I wish for it, but the fact that they did not remove the El Cerrito as well, makes me think that
they will not have any more sites in Berkeley and El Cerrito and these two are probably listed in error.

However, Target in Albany is a very good site for Urban or Super Charger and I was surprised that
they did not list it as a future place.

Berkeley Marina is another good spot.

There is definitely demands on Downtown Berkeley but not much Space for Parking.

I think since there is a huge outage in SF and regulations and Property are making it hard to have Superchargers in the City,
it makes sense to have more superchargers in outer skirt of Bay Area.

As a Mall or Plaza Manager, it could have been my dream to sign a contract with Tesla
because that will divert the traffic to my Shopping Mall - Plaza.

P.S. Good potential in Treasure Island as well! Remember this spot!
The Berkeley 'future' Supercharger grey icon has been removed from the Tesla.com/find us 2021 updated map.

I was thinking that the TouchLess gas station, 2130 Fulton St, Berkeley,
closed since the pandemic, could have been a possibility.
I believe that the city of Berkeley try to remove service stations from the downtown area.

TouchLess 2130 Fulton St, Berkeley .jpg

The city of Berkeley already has a ban on natural gas for new buildings:

And also Berkeley also set a goal of being a Fossil Fuel Free city, and becoming a net carbon sink by 2030.

Last edited: