Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Superchargers in Northern California (location speculation)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I was poking around permits.co.tuolumne.ca.us to see if I could find any new permits that could be a Supercharger. Anyone have any hints on how to search? I search for city of Sonora (!!) and it says: Your Search Returned 7000 results, here are the first 100. Please refine your search.

The other things it lets me search by don't let me look for newer permits, and the first 100 Sonora matches that I can see are mostly from the 90's
Use the search bar on the main site. You might find something in the issued lists

So I was poking around permits.co.tuolumne.ca.us to see if I could find any new permits that could be a Supercharger. Anyone have any hints on how to search? I search for city of Sonora (!!) and it says: Your Search Returned 7000 results, here are the first 100. Please refine your search.

The other things it lets me search by don't let me look for newer permits, and the first 100 Sonora matches that I can see are mostly from the 90's
You can also find recent permits by doing prefix matches on the permit number, and filter manually by city. With 100 results at a time, a prefix with all but the last two digits gives just the right number of results. From there, it looks like about a quarter of the building permits have Sonora addresses. But that could be a bit of a slog, as there are 800 permits starting with "B2021-", and depending on when Tesla started working on it, a permit for the charger could have an earlier date.

Looks like the City of Sonora handles its own permits.

I think all the county results that show with a Sonora address are outside city limits. I was looking for the permit for the ChargePoint at Adventist Health to see how it was classified which can help tell you whether to look in electrical permits or building permits or elsewhere. That address does not show up in the County search results which is an indication that permitting in the city is separate from the county.

Since most small cities don’t have online tracking your best bet is to email someone in the planning/building department or whatever division handles that. Most are pretty helpful when you ask if Tesla has applied for a permit to install super chargers in their city.

Tesla seems to start permitting the quarter before. If they are planning for Dec ‘21, you probably wont see any permits til August or Sept ‘21. Especially in a town where they have 2 SC already so are familiar with the permitting and local regulations. And likely the same install team.

Tesla seems to start permitting the quarter before. If they are planning for Dec ‘21, you probably wont see any permits til August or Sept ‘21. Especially in a town where they have 2 SC already so are familiar with the permitting and local regulations. And likely the same install team.
Makes sense. I am curious to see where they're installing a third SC in a town of 17,000 people. I am guessing over ny Rayley's

Hi, I scanned back through the thread a ways and did a Google search, but I wonder if anyone here knows of plans for any more superchargers in the Eastern Sierras, particularly north of Mammoth for us northern Californians. Lee Vining or Bridgeport would be ideal.

Tesla has done a good job filling in the gaps between LA and Mammoth for the Southern Californian ski traffic, but there's nothing between Mammoth and Topaz. Both of those locations are out of the way if you want to recreate around the 120 and 108 junctions with 395, which is just beautiful area. There is an EA charging station in Bridgeport, but I sure don't want to get an adapter for the once or twice a year I'd use it, if that.

Anyways, anyone heard anything?

Reactions: Misterbee
Hi, I scanned back through the thread a ways and did a Google search, but I wonder if anyone here knows of plans for any more superchargers in the Eastern Sierras, particularly north of Mammoth for us northern Californians. Lee Vining or Bridgeport would be ideal.

Tesla has done a good job filling in the gaps between LA and Mammoth for the Southern Californian ski traffic, but there's nothing between Mammoth and Topaz. Both of those locations are out of the way if you want to recreate around the 120 and 108 junctions with 395, which is just beautiful area. There is an EA charging station in Bridgeport, but I sure don't want to get an adapter for the once or twice a year I'd use it, if that.

Not really, and given the population density in the beautiful part of the world, I would be surprised if a supercharger ever appeared. Much more likely that generic Level 2 chargers will spring up at gas stations, etc.

BTW, J-1772 adapters aren't *that* expensive. I carry one in my frunk, because I like having a plan B.

I read once on this forum that Lee Vining electrical grid could not support a SC. No idea if it's true or not. I agree that it would a perfect spot, especially for anyone wanting to go through Tioga pass.

Reactions: ohmman and rkmvca
I read once on this forum that Lee Vining electrical grid could not support a SC. No idea if it's true or not. I agree that it would a perfect spot, especially for anyone wanting to go through Tioga pass.
Lee Vining itself looks like it's on reasonably big line (115kV), with an SCE substation on the south side of town. There was supposed to be a major upgrade recently completed on the substation "to serve additional customer load", so if capacity was limited before, it may no longer be. See the public notice on page 17 here: https://thesheetnews.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/11/PDF_11.17.18.pdf
The new capacity is probably online now, though if there were delays, it might not be yet. One can see that the project at least started by 2019 from the Google Street View history. There may be less power available north of Lee Vining; I don't think the 115kV line continues north of this point, instead going west to the SCE small hydro system on Lee Vining Creek, Lee Vining Hydroelectric Project (FERC No. P-1388)

Yeah, I was referring to CHAdeMO. I have a J1772, but it's ... slow, as we all know, better used overnight.

So thanks all . Looks like nothing is on the horizon, though Lee Vining appears to have the infrastructure to have one, and it an ideal location for all the traffic going into and out of Yosemite; it would be a great complement to the Groveland SC on the other side of the park. It wouldn't surprise me if some form of chargers showed up at the Tioga Gas Mart on 120 just outside of Lee Vining; that appears to be the center of automotive life in the area.

Reactions: Misterbee