Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Superchargers in Northern California (location speculation)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have no idea if this is a Supercharger construction site or not. The Healdsburg Safeway (Vineyard Plaza) has a fenced off area on one end with a bunch of trenching and such being done. No other clues would be evident.
While I would love a charger here, I also find it perhaps a bit doubtful as there is the new Windsor charger that’s been built and still waiting for the transformer to be installed.
I’ll be back there in about a week and have a look again.
Thought I’d see if anyone else has noticed anything there.

I have no idea if this is a Supercharger construction site or not. The Healdsburg Safeway (Vineyard Plaza) has a fenced off area on one end with a bunch of trenching and such being done. No other clues would be evident.
While I would love a charger here, I also find it perhaps a bit doubtful as there is the new Windsor charger that’s been built and still waiting for the transformer to be installed.
I’ll be back there in about a week and have a look again.
Thought I’d see if anyone else has noticed anything there.
Electrify America lists that Safeway in Healdsburg as a future location for them on their map, so 99% that's what it was.

• Informative
Reactions: bmah
Yeah, I was referring to CHAdeMO. I have a J1772, but it's ... slow, as we all know, better used overnight.

So thanks all . Looks like nothing is on the horizon, though Lee Vining appears to have the infrastructure to have one, and it an ideal location for all the traffic going into and out of Yosemite; it would be a great complement to the Groveland SC on the other side of the park. It wouldn't surprise me if some form of chargers showed up at the Tioga Gas Mart on 120 just outside of Lee Vining; that appears to be the center of automotive life in the area.

The day after I wrote this, I saw that there is not a Supercharger, but a destination charger in Virginia Creek, between Lee Vining and Bridgeport. Virginia Creek settlement is little more than a wide spot in the road off of 395, but there are some cabins there and, evidently a 16kW Tesla charger. I'll have to look into staying there.

Curious if they’ll ever expand to north of napa on the 29. The stretch from Napa to Calistoga has 0 Superchargers.
Where are you going that you need to charge in Calistoga? There is nowhere in Napa county that you can’t get to and back if you charge at either Napa SC. Now if you are talking about topping up as far north as possible before venturing out of the north end of Napa (Lake County or eastern northern Sonoma County) then maybe something in Calistoga would be good but more likely to have one in southern Lake County and one in Geyserville since they built one in Windsor already.

Reactions: ohmman
Where are you going that you need to charge in Calistoga? There is nowhere in Napa county that you can’t get to and back if you charge at either Napa SC. Now if you are talking about topping up as far north as possible before venturing out of the north end of Napa (Lake County or eastern northern Sonoma County) then maybe something in Calistoga would be good but more likely to have one in southern Lake County and one in Geyserville since they built one in Windsor already.

This is the area that I grew up. I could see, in the distant future, a supercharger being useful in Upper Lake and/or Clear Lake near the intersections where the highways split apart to go around the lake. I've been driving to Kelseyville from WA state without an issue in Teslas since 2014 though, so I don't see it as necessary at this point. I am pretty certain I have the speed record for crossing Mt St Helena on 29 in an electric vehicle. LOL!

Last edited:
  • Funny
Reactions: Zextraterrestrial
Usually, when can we expect an update on the Tesla SC map after quarter end? I see quite a few unopened SC sites still show a Q4'21 estimated completion date. I'm curious to see where Tesla plans on adding new SC and what new ETA dates they have.
Someone actually kept track of this and posted it in one of the threads on the Canada forum recently. I can't find which thread it was now, but going from memory, this was the 2nd longest delay in updating the map at the end of a quarter (since they started doing quarterly updates which is I think the last 2-3 years or so). The longest delay was slightly over a month, like 35-40 days.

Usually, when can we expect an update on the Tesla SC map after quarter end? I see quite a few unopened SC sites still show a Q4'21 estimated completion date. I'm curious to see where Tesla plans on adding new SC and what new ETA dates they have.
I found the post. Here is a copy and paste of the dates when they updated the map:

Jan 5 2021 - Q1 2021 update (5 days after)
April 21 2021 - Q2 2021 update (21 days after)
August 3 2021 - Q3 2021 update (34 days after)
October 5 2021 - Q4 2021 update (5 days after)

Well, depends on what these dates mean. If it's "first appearance", then Tesla was a little late this year, but they still hit January.
Those dates are when they update the map. For instance a site that right now says Q1 2022 may shift to Q3 2022 after the update or vice versa. Sites that we think might come online in the next month might be postponed. So far, there haven’t been any updates or new sites so either nothing has changed in 3 months, or they haven’t updated yet.

Those dates are when they update the map. For instance a site that right now says Q1 2022 may shift to Q3 2022 after the update or vice versa. Sites that we think might come online in the next month might be postponed. So far, there haven’t been any updates or new sites so either nothing has changed in 3 months, or they haven’t updated yet.
The map is in the process of being updated right now. If you reload it with a clear cache, you should see the updated info for most areas.

Reactions: Mrbrock
And still no love for Sonora, you just cannot get over the Sonora Pass w/o stopping to charge on each side, I don't get it, that is some of the best roads to take a Tesla on EVER, thankfully I have a cabin in Sonora so I can stop there. I guess they figure they put one in Copperopolis so they are done, it's not THAT MUCH of a detour to hump it over to Highway 4 from 108, sheesh!

Screen Shot 2022-02-03 at 2.21.51 PM.png

Well, I guess even the standard range Model 3 doesn't need a charger there to get thru, but a lot of older Teslas get less range that the current shortest range Tesla they sell.

Last edited: