Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Superchargers in Northern California (location speculation)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The new upcoming supercharger map on tesla.com adds a supercharger somewhere in Alameda, target opening by the end of 2018. I'm going to assume it'll be at the Target at Alameda Landing due to the corporate announcement of a partnership with Tesla.

It's not, but when you are visiting family that live in that south side, with a 70D going there to charge and then back, you lose 40-60 miles off the already limited range.

Ah, yes. To all reading this who might be calculating the costs of ownership between a 70 to a 90 kwh battery, believe me, the bigger battery is worth it, eventually. Remember this.

How often will you have to reroute, spend more time making more charging stops, calling up the flatbed because you ran out of charge "only" five miles from the next supercharger, etc. etc. etc. Been driving almost 6 years now, and I've seen them all. Buying the bigger battery pays. In the long run. As is the LONGER run.

Just my opinion, my experience, and my money, carefully squirreled away year by year.

• Disagree
Reactions: pkodali
No need to use scare tactics.

A bigger battery covers more scenarios, definitely reduces range anxiety, and definitely reduces total trip time through fewer, shorter, and more ideal SOCs. If you can afford it, it’s worth it.

That said, unless you’re outside the six (or more) sigma of practical use cases, you will never call the flatbed and you will rarely if ever actually take a different route. And that doesn’t even consider the fact that supercharging locations are constantly being added.

No need to use scare tactics.

A bigger battery covers more scenarios, definitely reduces range anxiety, and definitely reduces total trip time through fewer, shorter, and more ideal SOCs. If you can afford it, it’s worth it.

That said, unless you’re outside the six (or more) sigma of practical use cases, you will never call the flatbed and you will rarely if ever actually take a different route. And that doesn’t even consider the fact that supercharging locations are constantly being added.
Agree with this completely. Have a 75D and works perfectly fine, maybe 5-10% longer on trips but gotta ask yourself if it is worth and extra 20k

How do you know this?
It's right on the current Supercharger map for coming soon 2018. I knew about the proposed Oakland site but didn't know about Alameda.

upload_2018-5-19_19-25-24.png

OK, I take it all back. If you can't afford it, don't buy the bigger battery. What I'm trying to say is that newbie owners often don't have any idea of the value of range. It's like buying a six gallon gas tank instead of the ten. Stopping for gas more often can be a hassle, and people tend to push the envelope thinking they can get there on less charge or less gas.

That said, I have seen several Teslas, some with big batteries, get flatbedded off simply because they ran out of charge. It's not a scare tactic. It's just that people don't realize their actual usage and run out. One guy thought that if he went 80 mph he could make it to the charger faster. Not. The other one I think of now forgot to figure on his having to drive uphill for six miles, and ran out a half mile before home.

If you value longer range, you suddenly value a larger battery, and the expense becomes worth it. "Afford" means "perceived value" as you recall from class. You can afford it if you think it's worth it. Like buying Tesla in the first place. Or that big house with the big mortgage. Or the 60 inch TV. People stretch their pay all the time. Depends on what you want.

Reactions: ScottRoberts33
Just noticed Santa Rosa on the future supercharger msp on the Tesla website (hadnt been there in awhile). Any guesses on where. My moneys on the Coddingtown Target parking lot.
That's a good spot. Right off the highway, decent amount of room over on the Target side of things. Getting there off of the highway (and getting back on the highway) can be a bit of a mess, though that can be said for nearly anywhere in Santa Rosa.

Unless it's intended to be an urban Supercharger to service locals, in which case I could see it downtown or even in the mall parking garage.

Reactions: Benjamin Brooks
Why not Costco? Target/BestBuy/SportsStore, etc, might even be better. Coddingtown already has chargers for J1772s, but they cost. Costco lot right in the middle of all the stores is pretty empty when I'm there. I never go to the mall any more. Wouldn't want to have to just because I'm charging.

Why not Costco? Target/BestBuy/SportsStore, etc, might even be better. Coddingtown already has chargers for J1772s, but they cost. Costco lot right in the middle of all the stores is pretty empty when I'm there. I never go to the mall any more. Wouldn't want to have to just because I'm charging.
Because getting on & off Santa Rosa Avenue can be a nightmare during weekday rush hours & weekends?

Reactions: ohmman