Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Superchargers in Northern California (location speculation)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This would fall under location speculation. I went out on Saturday 5/4/19 to check if there's been any construction under way in regards to the upcoming SSF (South San Francisco) location. I took some photos of a lot right adjacent to the Embassy Suites Hotel at 250 Gateway Blvd. This area to me feels like it may be the place. It's next door to the Embassy Suites, and it's not too far off the freeway (101 North). So far however, there has been no ground breaking yet and I am not 100% sure that this is the place.

That's pretty precise speculation since that actually is the place for which Tesla submitted permit application B19-0319 on March 4th (eTrakit). The building and planning reviews came back as not approved, so there will have to be a resubmittal. The thread for the South San Francisco supercharger is here.

The City of Larkspur had a request from "TESLA / Greenbrae Managment" to the Zoning Administrator for a variance on fence height for "8-foot Fencefor ECVS Equipment" at 50 Bon Air Center. The request was approved on December 18, 2018. The planning document also references an application for "Installation of EV Charging Station in setback area of Shopping Center" and in the notes says "New 5/2/18; Inc. 5/24/18;Re-sub 8/16/18; NOFS 9/26/18 (ap superseded by expidited permit process of 15.55) Withdrawn 12/3/2018" Larkspur does not have an online building permit database, so I can't tell what is going on regarding the actual charging station permit. The site is on Sir Francis Drake Blvd just west of Highway 101 - could someone stop by and take a look?

Hey @Blu Zap do you know about this? It's in Larkspur at the Bon Air strip mall. Are they building out yet?

The City of Larkspur had a request from "TESLA / Greenbrae Managment" to the Zoning Administrator for a variance on fence height for "8-foot Fencefor ECVS Equipment" at 50 Bon Air Center. The request was approved on December 18, 2018. The planning document also references an application for "Installation of EV Charging Station in setback area of Shopping Center" and in the notes says "New 5/2/18; Inc. 5/24/18;Re-sub 8/16/18; NOFS 9/26/18 (ap superseded by expidited permit process of 15.55) Withdrawn 12/3/2018" Larkspur does not have an online building permit database, so I can't tell what is going on regarding the actual charging station permit. The site is on Sir Francis Drake Blvd just west of Highway 101 - could someone stop by and take a l

Hey @Blu Zap do you know about this? It's in Larkspur at the Bon Air strip mall. Are they building out yet?

This would be great! I haven't seen anything at Bon Air lately. It is pretty close to the Urban SuCs at the Village at Corte Madera. Also, it looks like this was withdrawn last December.
"Installation of EV Charging Station in setback area of Shopping Center

New 5/2/18; Inc. 5/24/18; Re-sub 8/16/18; NOFS 9/26/18 (ap superseded by expidited permit process of 15.55) Withdrawn 12/3/2018"

Still hoping for Marin City by Target Store. The Richmond SuC off of I580 will also help us Tesla owners in Marin.

Still hoping for Marin City by Target Store.

Yes, that's a good location. Right before you get to the GG Bridge. Hope that gets done.

This would be great! I haven't seen anything at Bon Air lately. It is pretty close to the Urban SuCs at the Village at Corte Madera. Also, it looks like this was withdrawn last December.

Thanks for that. Hopefully the build more along the 101 freeway.
I went to a possible site over in SSF by Brisbane not too long ago to check if there's any progress. I didn't see anything. Tesla did get approval and permits but nothing yet. There's a new one in San Francisco by the Letterman Digital Arts Center in the Marina. I wrote a post about it recently. Unless you're okay with paying $6 bucks an hour to get into the underground parking garage, it's not good.

New 5/2/18; Inc. 5/24/18; Re-sub 8/16/18; NOFS 9/26/18 (ap superseded by expidited permit process of 15.55) Withdrawn 12/3/2018"

Still hoping for Marin City by Target Store. The Richmond SuC off of I580 will also help us Tesla owners in Marin.
It was "withdrawn" because Larkspur instituted new rules exempting EV Charging Stations from having to get the type of planning/zoning approval that was being applied for. That means that they could move directly to a building permit application instead of having to get the planning/zoning approval first.

FYI,
I spoke with a building official at the City of Williams, and they have approved building plans for a supercharger to be installed at Granzellas (I think everyone familiar with the area knew that was where it would go) The City is just waiting on the contractor to pull the permit for construction. At first glance, Granzella's seems to own a lot of property in and around the actual restaurant, so we will see where it actually ends up being placed. I'll call back in a month to see if the permit gets pulled.

upload_2019-7-8_11-6-52.png

My gut tells me 1 or 2. Primary High voltage wire is right above for location 1, but parking might be a premium at that location, so maybe location 2, with a short trench to the high voltage to the north.

We will see how long construction actually takes, Chico was a year from 1st submittal to opening.. (JUNE 18' TO JUNE 19')

I didn't know if this was substantial enough information to start an actual thread on the Williams Supercharger, if so feel free to start one!

Attachments

• upload_2019-7-8_10-59-54.png
    upload_2019-7-8_10-59-54.png
    2 MB · Views: 153
Wow! A new supercharger just popped up in Placerville. I wonder if this means we'll be seeing one in Jackson soon. Seems the likeliest nearby location. And it would fit the "make getting to ski areas easy" playbook. Kirkwood via 88 is still not trivial in winter with bad weather, although they do have chargers there.

Maybe one in Arnold as well for Bear Valley? And Sonora for Dodge Ridge?

Last edited:
Moderator note: post moved from the SF Van Ness Supercharger thread.
It’s very hard to find Supercharger sites in SF. Parking garages are generally the only feasible option, but of course they all have an access charge, they can’t be free.

This belongs in a different thread, but I’ve always thought the best location for an open Supercharger location in SF is the Target (formerly [VERY formerly] Sears) shopping center at Masonic and Geary. They have several levels of lots, most of which are underutilized, including a rooftop lot.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: RubberToe
Moderator note: post moved from the SF Van Ness Supercharger thread.
This belongs in a different thread, but I’ve always thought the best location for an open Supercharger location in SF is the Target (formerly [VERY formerly] Sears) shopping center at Masonic and Geary. They have several levels of lots, most of which are underutilized, including a rooftop lot.
I agree, that’s certainly a good location. Since many SCs have been built in Target parking lots, maybe Tesla has approached them, but that parking structure is likely controlled by the owner of that shopping center and not Target.

Trying to upload a screen capture of Google Maps satellite view of that location but keep getting a TMC “security error”.

;)
Anyone have any information on Half Moon Bay? Supposedly it’s getting a supercharger sometime this year...
It said it was coming in 2018 too I’m pretty sure. On the supercharger map, Tesla pretty much lists every future supercharger as coming in the current year, so it doesn’t really mean anything other than getting an idea of what the supercharger network will look like long term. But I’m excited about the idea of a supercharger coming to HMB, it would be great to help with doing a Highway 1 drive! It would also be nice for the Pumpkin Festival coming up ;)

Would be nice to see one around Colfax. Anyone knows anything?
I agree it would be nice, though I'd prefer it a bit higher up. There are CHAdeMO stations in Colfax, Dutch Flat, Emigrant Gap, and Soda Springs that aid in any kind of hauling/range challenges anyone has making their way up to Donner Pass. Of course, one needs the adapter for those, but they do exist.