Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Superchargers in Northern California (location speculation)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Such a change from the days when you had to go over the hills to Dublin to find a supercharger in the East Bay outside of Fremont. For a long time, opening Alameda first made sense as the middle of the northeast bay. Now you can't drive but a few minutes before you hit another site. And we still have the Jack London Supercharger yet to open.

The FindUs page at Tesla.com shows they want to do a charger in Berkeley too, and there is the rumored third Supercharger in Emeryville on the list of cities with a Target getting a Supercharger in its parking lot.

Though I wish for it, but the fact that they did not remove the El Cerrito as well, makes me think that they will not have any more sites in Berkeley and El Cerrito and these two are probably listed in error. However, Target in Albany is a very good site for Urban or Super Charger and I was surprised that they did not list it as a future place. Berkeley Marina is another good spot. There is definitely demands on Downtown Berkeley but not much Space for Parking. I think since there is a huge outage in SF and regulations and Property are making it hard to have Superchargers in the City, it makes sense to have more superchargers in outer skirt of Bay Area. As a Mall or Plaza Manager, it could have been my dream to sign a contract with Tesla because that will divert the traffic to my Shopping Mall - Plaza.

P.S. Good potential in Treasure Island as well! Remember this spot!

I'm going to offer a bit of criticism and selfishness in asking where the the north state promised stations as are since 2018?
Guess I'm just jealous, the recent supercharger expansion has been amazing, but ive used it a total of zero times with covid and staying in the nor-norcal as of late.

20201122_211807.jpg

I'm going to offer a bit of criticism and selfishness in asking where the the north state promised stations as are since 2018?
Guess I'm just jealous, the recent supercharger expansion has been amazing, but ive used it a total of zero times with covid and staying in the nor-norcal as of late.

View attachment 611028

Agreed, north of the SF Bay area, it's slim pickings.

Reactions: Blup85
Don't event want to go to Mendocino ("Coming Soon" since 2017...) in my Tesla... I don't want to depend upon destination charging. I'm guessing that is very competitive given the lack of superchargers up there.
huh? do you drive a leaf?;)
I guess going and coming back to the coast or elsewhere would require a fullish charge...so you aren't incorrect... but if you pass through Laytonville ever it is super easy to go anywhere...and I usually use both laytonville and rohnert park heading south. usually Santa rosa and Laytonville headed north. super easy to get back and forth to Humboldt now...3hrs faster than in 2013

Last edited:
Reactions: e-FTW and bmah
I guess going and coming back to the coast or elsewhere would require a fullish charge...so you aren't incorrect...
I've been hoping for something that makes it possible to go to to Sea Ranch/Gualala with my camper. Currently, I can probably swing it with a stop in Santa Rosa both ways, but it gives me little extra charge for vampire drain/excursions. Sebastopol would be nice, but I'm not holding my breath. Plenty of other more important spots.

Reactions: Blup85
Yes, I can get there and get back but I don't want to be on vacation worrying about destination charging and conserving driving up and down the coast. Mendo is a wonderful area and aside from walking around town we also enjoy driving up and down the coast to appreciate the beauty and to hike. If Ft. Bragg had a supercharger then problem solved. Having said all of this, the 101 corridor between SF and Santa Barbara is a more pressing need and I am glad they are addressing it.

where are the north state promised stations
20201122_211807-jpg.611028
You know I have lived in California since I was 18, so 40 years. I don't know what's in that area you circled in red. I think Lassen is up there, but I have never been. Kinda like California's own flyover country.

Screen Shot 2020-11-24 at 12.53.58 PM.png

The map just shows national forests

Screen Shot 2020-11-24 at 12.55.30 PM.png

Tesla shows there are four places they hope to open. I noticed with the most recent addition of the Jackson, CA Supercharger there is no longer a planned Supercharger in Sonora, where I have a cabin. Sometimes I just wanna go up and get something and come back, but I have to stay there for 3 hours while I recharge my car on my WallConnector at 11kW

Screen Shot 2020-11-24 at 12.57.06 PM.png

Looks like it's not just the northeast corner of CA that is low on future Superchargers, but this whole giant landmass across 5 states. I did recently take a trip from Winnemucca to Boise and was VERY worried about the status of the CHAdeMO chargers on that stretch of Supercharger-free highway.