Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Superchargers in Northern California (location speculation)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla "find us" supercharger map appears to have been updated. I noticed the following new locations in northern California:

CityTarget Opening
AndersonQ2, 2023
ArnoldQ2, 2023
CapitolaQ2, 2023
Half Moon BayQ3, 2023
Morgan Hill (2nd location)Q2, 2023
Pollock PinesQ3, 2023
Paso Robles (2nd location)Q2, 2023
Rancho MurietaQ3, 2023
Salinas (2nd location)Q3, 2023
San Juan BautistaQ1, 2023
WillowsQ2, 2023

Willows also just got two new rest area free charging stops from CalTrans. I ended up causing a line at the Electrify America in Willows on the Thanksgiving trip this year, only to discover that I could have been charging for free up the road a smidge. Well, they could have been too...

Screen Shot 2022-12-10 at 7.41.10 AM.png

Too bad EA didn't fix all their chargers in time for the holiday, I saw about 50% of their stations out of order this trip.

Willows also just got two new rest area free charging stops from CalTrans. I ended up causing a line at the Electrify America in Willows on the Thanksgiving trip this year, only to discover that I could have been charging for free up the road a smidge. Well, they could have been too...

Too bad EA didn't fix all their chargers in time for the holiday, I saw about 50% of their stations out of order this trip.

I'm looking forward to the one at Willows. When heading north out of the Bay Area, I typically stop at Williams. But Williams seems a little too close to the Bay Area for optimal road tripping. I could make Corning, but it is a V2 site and the restaurants/rest rooms are a bit of a walk. Willows should be Just Right.

Willows is also supposed to be one of the upcoming monster sites that the State of California is helping out with. Which for better or worse, means we'll see a bunch of CCS cars charging there too.

Reactions: totoro722
I'm looking forward to the one at Willows. When heading north out of the Bay Area, I typically stop at Williams. But Williams seems a little too close to the Bay Area for optimal road tripping. I could make Corning, but it is a V2 site and the restaurants/rest rooms are a bit of a walk. Willows should be Just Right.

Willows is also supposed to be one of the upcoming monster sites that the State of California is helping out with. Which for better or worse, means we'll see a bunch of CCS cars charging there too.
I don't think it necessarily means a lot of CCS cars will be there. It depends on the requirements for IRA (federal money) and the state money. If it just needs to be accessible to all cars, that technically means only 1 stall needs to be CCS. I don't see how they can put anything beyond a % for number of CCS stalls required. 25% would be a much larger amount of CCS stalls that would likely be needed. I figure 1 in 8 (12.5%) would be a good number based on the average SC site size. Then they just need to have a CCS connector on 1 of every 8 stalls. None of this dual cable or adapter BS. Much easier to deal with.

Dangit, another SpC on 4 but still nothing on 108??
Hear! Hear! I am confuzzled too, Randy. SR4 is closed from Lake Alpine to the junction with SR89 south of Markleeville from mid-November until they clear the road in the spring (or quite possibly this year, early summer.) It is one lane for about 25 miles, so not a lot of traffic; certainly less than SR108 up and over Sonora Pass. I've made it home from Minden, Nevada, taking Ebbets Pass in our 2014 S85 without stopping. I left with 92% and arrived home with around 20%. So, really westbound shouldn't be much of a problem.

With the SC at Copperopolis, it is just not that far to Mt. Reba for skiing, and it is all downhill on the return.

Manteca or Modesto is a lot farther away from Sonora, not to mention trekking across Sonora Pass when the highway is open. And currently it is closed at Snow-Park, just east of Strawberry. And even when they start clearing the road, they only open it to Kennedy Meadows about a month before they open the pass.

So, we should send a sternly-worded letter to Elon Musk to get moving on a SC forthwith in Sonora or Jamestown or even slightly further east around Twain Harte.

Drove through early this morning and no development at either brownfield site suggested by Marco. The one west of I5 is less desirable because the street has a median and would require a u turn for entry. I didn’t spot anything else that would suggest beginning of the Q2 2023 site.

I don't think it necessarily means a lot of CCS cars will be there. It depends on the requirements for IRA (federal money) and the state money. If it just needs to be accessible to all cars, that technically means only 1 stall needs to be CCS. I don't see how they can put anything beyond a % for number of CCS stalls required. 25% would be a much larger amount of CCS stalls that would likely be needed. I figure 1 in 8 (12.5%) would be a good number based on the average SC site size. Then they just need to have a CCS connector on 1 of every 8 stalls. None of this dual cable or adapter BS. Much easier to deal with.
For the CA grant which the Willows site is part of 50% of the stalls have to be available for CCS. From this article here Tesla to build the world's biggest CCS-compatible Supercharger locations with Magic Docks

For the CA grant which the Willows site is part of 50% of the stalls have to be available for CCS. From this article here Tesla to build the world's biggest CCS-compatible Supercharger locations with Magic Docks
Yes, thats why I said "if" which means it isn't necessarily as I posted. Someone dug up the rules later on and it clearly states what is needed and why Tesla hasn't slowed down while waiting for the grants to be approved. California requires 50% CCS but the federal rules are different and require screens and payment kiosks as well as 24hr help line.

I wonder if the future 1 kW Tesla v4 Superchargers which have a longer cable, will be also CCS enabled?

Tesla-V3-vs-V4-copy.jpg

I'm looking forward to the one at Willows. When heading north out of the Bay Area, I typically stop at Williams. But Williams seems a little too close to the Bay Area for optimal road tripping.
I finally tried the new CalTrans Rest Area that has free charging in Willows on this weekends road trip. Very nice. I used to stop at Maxwell and like you said, too close, although since I am leaving town on a whim it's nice that I can leave with 60% full and still get there, like the Westly rest area going south.

On the way home I stopped at the Maxwell one, so I could be 22 miles closer to full when I got home, but the site is down. Even the phone number to call shown on the face of the machine has been disconnected. Such is the state of charging non-Tesla EVs in America.

Reactions: totoro722
I finally tried the new CalTrans Rest Area that has free charging in Willows on this weekends road trip. Very nice. I used to stop at Maxwell and like you said, too close, although since I am leaving town on a whim it's nice that I can leave with 60% full and still get there, like the Westly rest area going south.

On the way home I stopped at the Maxwell one, so I could be 22 miles closer to full when I got home, but the site is down. Even the phone number to call shown on the face of the machine has been disconnected. Such is the state of charging non-Tesla EVs in America.
Ooo, Willows. Is Nancy Airport Cafe still there? We used to fly up there for the pie. It was a quick trip from the East Bay for some great pie.