TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Superchargers in public parking lots

Discussion in 'North America' started by Blup85, Jun 6, 2018.

1. Blup85

Blup85 Member

Does anyone know if there are superchargers that have been installed in publicly owned parking lots?

2. John W. Ratcliff

In Colorado Springs the superchargers are in a *pay* public parking lot.

• Like x 1
  3. Blup85

Blup85 Member

Thank you!

4. CUBldr97

CUBldr97 Member

On I-95 in MD, Delaware, PA and NJ they are on or at the REST stops, which I believe are public owned...

• Informative x 1
    • Like x 1
  5. ThisIsTrue

ThisIsTrue Re-member

Crescent City, Calif., is in a municipal parking lot. IIRC, Tesla pays the city $12/year in rent.

• Like x 1
  6. BerTX

BerTX Active Member

Aberdeen, WA has one in a city-owned lot. The mayor was almost ousted because a reporter claimed there was malfeasance involved.

7. cpa

cpa Active Member

I believe that Ukiah is as well.

Mammoth Lakes might be at a municipal-owned lot, but I do not recall specifically.

8. dgpcolorado

dgpcolorado high altitude member

Blanding UT and Twin Falls ID are at visitor's centers. I assume that is similar to a "publicly owned parking lot."

• Like x 2
  9. Kurt'sX

Kurt'sX Member

San Diego is installing its newest supercharger in a multi story pay parking lot. Its a private lot, but public parking. Dont know yet what if any cost will be attached to those just wanting to use the chargers and not entering to actually park in the lot. We utilized a similar set up in Colorado Springs, but were given free time in the structure to charge, where everyone else had to pay to actually park.

• Like x 1
  10. Hyper Sonic

Hyper Sonic Member

San Diego could use chargers in parking lots (already lost chargers in the Stadium, went up north to LA!) Seriously though SDGE is about to make energy for electric vehicles more expensive than gas vehicles.
    https://www.sandiegoreader.com/news/2017/aug/15/ticker-sdge-shocks-solar-users-rate-change/

Here's the current SDGE tier system
    Tier 1 0-380 kwh $0.27
    Tier 2 381-1168 kwh $0.48
    Tier 3 >1169 kwh $0.55

Tier 1 is just enough for running your house, so Tier 2&3 are for charging your car

Average ICE car: 22 miles per gallon = 0.045 gallons per mile = (@ $4/gallon) $0.18 per mile.
    Model S: 0.333 kwh per mile = (@ $0.48/kwh) $0.16 per mile.

SDGE is about to up the rates, which will likely make buying energy for a Tesla more expensive than buying energy for a ICE vehicle.

Tesla should shade all over the mall parking lots with solar panels, and have batteries so the energy could also power superchargers at night. The shade keeps the cars cool as well. Some related links:
    Solar Parking Canopies: How They Work
    Solar Power Transforms Parking Lots into Green Job Generators | CleanTechnica

Inductive charging at each stall would be awesome as well.

11. WARP 10

WARP 10 Member

Note that the rates you quoted are summer rates. Winter rates are $.23, $.40, and $.47.

12. Hyper Sonic

Hyper Sonic Member

Ah, thanks for the info. Though considering solar panels collect less energy during the Winter, it probably ends up costing the same as you use more energy from SDGE to make up for making less energy with the panels.

13. WARP 10

WARP 10 Member

Assuming a properly sized solar system and the (current) net metering rules, you should end up offsetting the winter difference with the excess production in summer, though possible net metering rule changes as well as the move to TOU rates will negatively affect that.

14. P85_DA

P85_DA Supporting Member

@Hyper Sonic not sure what you are talking about ... SDGE has specific time of use (TOU) plans for electric vehicle that are not tiered ...those rates you quoted assume you want to pay more and not switch your rate plan to a TOU plan

15. Hyper Sonic

Hyper Sonic Member

Monthly solar energy collection peaks around 700kwh and valleys around 400kwh for me. Usually cooling systems like AC suck up any extra near the Summer Solstice. Annual energy consumption is usually around 10 mwh, and I only get around 7mwh from solar so I end up paying SDGE at the end of the year. I'd need alot more panels if I ever wanted to think about charging an electric vehicle at home. Houses should have south wall solar panels as well, lots of potential energy collection there. I asked for more roof panels, but Solar City said I wouldn't need anymore. I do have Net metering, I think 1.0.

16. Hyper Sonic

Hyper Sonic Member

I didn't know SDGE had special rates for electric vehicles. So what are the TOU rates?

17. P85_DA

P85_DA Supporting Member

If you net metering 1 ...u have the best solar plan from SDGE :eek:.....u just need more panels or a battery :(

18. P85_DA

P85_DA Supporting Member

19. snellenr

snellenr Member

Arlington, TX Is located at the Arlington Convention Center. Sulphur Springs, TX is in a public lot next to the police station.

20. Hyper Sonic

Hyper Sonic Member

I was disappointed, the final agreed upon solar design was not installed so I'm missing a few panels on the best Equator-facing roof face, and the way it's offset they can't add more. I have a few on a Pole-facing roof face which is only good near Summer Solstice. I have 2 more roof faces but they're vaulted ceilings and Solar City doesn't install panels on vaulted ceilings. I'd love to get Solar tiles for the entire roof, along with Equator-facing solar walls.