Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Superchargers in public parking lots

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
San Diego is installing its newest supercharger in a multi story pay parking lot. Its a private lot, but public parking. Dont know yet what if any cost will be attached to those just wanting to use the chargers and not entering to actually park in the lot. We utilized a similar set up in Colorado Springs, but were given free time in the structure to charge, where everyone else had to pay to actually park.

Reactions: Blup85
San Diego could use chargers in parking lots (already lost chargers in the Stadium, went up north to LA!) Seriously though SDGE is about to make energy for electric vehicles more expensive than gas vehicles.
https://www.sandiegoreader.com/news/2017/aug/15/ticker-sdge-shocks-solar-users-rate-change/

Here's the current SDGE tier system
Tier 1 0-380 kwh $0.27
Tier 2 381-1168 kwh $0.48
Tier 3 >1169 kwh $0.55

Tier 1 is just enough for running your house, so Tier 2&3 are for charging your car

Average ICE car: 22 miles per gallon = 0.045 gallons per mile = (@ $4/gallon) $0.18 per mile.
Model S: 0.333 kwh per mile = (@ $0.48/kwh) $0.16 per mile.

SDGE is about to up the rates, which will likely make buying energy for a Tesla more expensive than buying energy for a ICE vehicle.

Tesla should shade all over the mall parking lots with solar panels, and have batteries so the energy could also power superchargers at night. The shade keeps the cars cool as well. Some related links:
Solar Parking Canopies: How They Work
Solar Power Transforms Parking Lots into Green Job Generators | CleanTechnica

Inductive charging at each stall would be awesome as well.

Ah, thanks for the info. Though considering solar panels collect less energy during the Winter, it probably ends up costing the same as you use more energy from SDGE to make up for making less energy with the panels.
Assuming a properly sized solar system and the (current) net metering rules, you should end up offsetting the winter difference with the excess production in summer, though possible net metering rule changes as well as the move to TOU rates will negatively affect that.

Monthly solar energy collection peaks around 700kwh and valleys around 400kwh for me. Usually cooling systems like AC suck up any extra near the Summer Solstice. Annual energy consumption is usually around 10 mwh, and I only get around 7mwh from solar so I end up paying SDGE at the end of the year. I'd need alot more panels if I ever wanted to think about charging an electric vehicle at home. Houses should have south wall solar panels as well, lots of potential energy collection there. I asked for more roof panels, but Solar City said I wouldn't need anymore. I do have Net metering, I think 1.0.

I was disappointed, the final agreed upon solar design was not installed so I'm missing a few panels on the best Equator-facing roof face, and the way it's offset they can't add more. I have a few on a Pole-facing roof face which is only good near Summer Solstice. I have 2 more roof faces but they're vaulted ceilings and Solar City doesn't install panels on vaulted ceilings. I'd love to get Solar tiles for the entire roof, along with Equator-facing solar walls.