Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Superchargers in Southern California (location speculation)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My guess is a miscommunication. Tesla employee was probably saying something like they will have 300 supercharger stalls TOTAL between Barstow and Baker. And we are already more than half way there.

The problem with this route is not so much the total travelers over the course of a year, but the fact that everyone travels this route at the same time (Fridays, Sundays, and Holidays).

My guess is a miscommunication. Tesla employee was probably saying something like they will have 300 supercharger stalls TOTAL between Barstow and Baker. And we are already more than half way there.

The problem with this route is not so much the total travelers over the course of a year, but the fact that everyone travels this route at the same time (Fridays, Sundays, and Holidays).
I doubt miscommunication. His comment followed my comment about how great it was having 60 stations at the Baker facility. He said that it was a lot but was nothing compared to what was being planned and built. When I politely pressed for examples he said a good example was the one between Barstow and Baker.
Remember, this isn't my first EV charger rodeo. I laid the groundwork and greased the skids for many supercharger stations that are currently serving drivers and delighting the site owners. I know the questions to ask to avoid miscommunications.
Besides, given the difficulty in getting power in that 50 mile-long desert, it would probably be easiest to focus on one big facility, rather than many, each of which will need power brought to it.
There's the Clyde V Kane CALTRANS rest area at about the midpoint that already has a CCS/CHAdemo station. Expanding it might make sense.

Reactions: Cosmacelf
I doubt miscommunication. His comment followed my comment about how great it was having 60 stations at the Baker facility. He said that it was a lot but was nothing compared to what was being planned and built. When I politely pressed for examples he said a good example was the one between Barstow and Baker.
Remember, this isn't my first EV charger rodeo. I laid the groundwork and greased the skids for many supercharger stations that are currently serving drivers and delighting the site owners. I know the questions to ask to avoid miscommunications.
Besides, given the difficulty in getting power in that 50 mile-long desert, it would probably be easiest to focus on one big facility, rather than many, each of which will need power brought to it.
There's the Clyde V Kane CALTRANS rest area at about the midpoint that already has a CCS/CHAdemo station. Expanding it might make sense.
Adding 150 parking spots to each side of the rest stop is not how Tesla seems to work in the US.

I don’t doubt you know how to grease skids and lead a conversation but Tesla techs are notorious for not having correct information, whether at car service centers or techs out in the field.

The San Bernadino permit portal is easy to search so will be interesting to see what pops up.

And the baker site is 40 V2 with a 56 V3 expansion plus the 2 trailers. So thats over 100. 89 in Barstow gets you to 188. There’s an additional 3rd party supercharger with 40 stalls permitted in baker. That’s 228. Only need another 70 to hit 300 which sounds much more feasible. Even with the former NEVI plans, there weren’t any 300 stall mega sites indicated and those were 3 or more years in the future.

Adding 150 parking spots to each side of the rest stop is not how Tesla seems to work in the US.

I don’t doubt you know how to grease skids and lead a conversation but Tesla techs are notorious for not having correct information, whether at car service centers or techs out in the field.

The San Bernadino permit portal is easy to search so will be interesting to see what pops up.

And the baker site is 40 V2 with a 56 V3 expansion plus the 2 trailers. So thats over 100. 89 in Barstow gets you to 188. There’s an additional 3rd party supercharger with 40 stalls permitted in baker. That’s 228. Only need another 70 to hit 300 which sounds much more feasible. Even with the former NEVI plans, there weren’t any 300 stall mega sites indicated and those were 3 or more years in the future.
And by NEVI I meant CA CEC. Looking back, they had plans for 100 stalls at Barstow station. If you drop the 40 3rd party that also gets you to 300.

I have a general question about the in-car/app map. What controls its updates? They seem to be tied together and my M3H still doesn't show a new station that has been online for almost a week now. I never understood the mechanism before when I had other Teslas.

How is the in-car/app map updated as respects SuperChargers?

I have a general question about the in-car/app map. What controls its updates? They seem to be tied together and my M3H still doesn't show a new station that has been online for almost a week now. I never understood the mechanism before when I had other Teslas.

How is the in-car/app map updated as respects SuperChargers?
How do you know it’s online? Ppl charging? Sometimes it’s yes about a week before an actual ONLINE charger shows up in the mapping. I think it’s pretty dynamic, and doesn’t actually require some SW or FW download.

How do you know it’s online? Ppl charging? Sometimes it’s yes about a week before an actual ONLINE charger shows up in the mapping. I think it’s pretty dynamic, and doesn’t actually require some SW or FW download.
I charged there on Saturday. It's the new charger in San Juan Capistrano. Maybe there's nothing wrong on my end then they just haven't updated it yet.

Yes, I have suggested this. People living in Rancho have a bit of a drive to charge. And there are few CCS options even if they have an adapter.
Yes, I have suggested this. People living in Rancho have a bit of a drive to charge. And there are few CCS options even if they have an adapter.
I suggested RANCHO SANTA MARGARITA PARKWAY, Rancho Santa Margarita, CA many times since 2022.

Reactions: Falcon73
IMG_0657.png

This is what’s in the pipeline. I’m confused that you’d think this is a slowdown.

Thank you. Is this publicly available info? Considering I haven't seen it before, probably not.

I was thinking in terms of construction and on the above I don't see any actively under construction in OC? This seems to mirror my concerns, for the moment.

Also, the 91 thru Corona and Riverside remains oddly blank for anything new and unless one enjoys going to the top of a parking structure for an Urban charge in downtown Riverside, the entire length from Anaheim Hills to Moreno Valley remains curiously devoid of stations unless one goes a ways up or down on the 15. I drive thru this area every other week or so as my parents are in Palm Desert.

Thanks again for the above map.

Also, note that 3 permits shown above, for Irvine & Tustin, have expired. The 4th, in Irvine Spectrum, also previously expired, but I found a new one.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1100MCM
Thank you. Is this publicly available info? Considering I haven't seen it before, probably not.

I was thinking in terms of construction and on the above I don't see any actively under construction in OC? This seems to mirror my concerns, for the moment.

Also, the 91 thru Corona and Riverside remains oddly blank for anything new and unless one enjoys going to the top of a parking structure for an Urban charge in downtown Riverside, the entire length from Anaheim Hills to Moreno Valley remains curiously devoid of stations unless one goes a ways up or down on the 15. I drive thru this area every other week or so as my parents are in Palm Desert.

Thanks again for the above map.

Also, note that 3 permits shown above, for Irvine & Tustin, have expired. The 4th, in Irvine Spectrum, also previously expired, but I found a new one.
Miss Viejo to Palm Desert is quite a haul, around 120 Miles, I would guess. Might be worthwhile installing a 50 amp outlet at your folks house!