Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Superchargers in Southern California (location speculation)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Another vote for a supercharger along the 405 in the South Bay. There's a 30 mile gap between the Marine charger and Fountain Valley down south no to mention up and down the 110.

Looks like they are adding a second Redondo in addition to the Manhattan location, but both are tucked away from Torrance. Long beach too far away too.

They need a site on Hawthorne or Crenshaw! There is way too much traffic through Torrance and PV to not have a SC!

Looks like they are adding a second Redondo in addition to the Manhattan location,
The grey pin in Redondo Beach on the Tesla Find Us web page could also indicate that the existing Redondo Beach Supercharger will be expanded.

The grey pins do not indicate exact locations, only the approximate center of the city/town where a future Supercharger could be or where an existing Supercharger will be expanded.

Looks like they are adding a second Redondo in addition to the Manhattan location, but both are tucked away from Torrance. Long beach too far away too.

They need a site on Hawthorne or Crenshaw! There is way too much traffic through Torrance and PV to not have a SC!
Seems to me one at Del Amo would make sense and there’s plenty of room especially by the Sears.

The grey pin in Redondo Beach on the Tesla Find Us web page could also indicate that the existing Redondo Beach Supercharger will be expanded.

The grey pins do not indicate exact locations, only the approximate center of the city/town where a future Supercharger could be or where an existing Supercharger will be expanded.

*With specific regard to* Redondo Beach, it is highly unlikely that they will expand that location. Now that the hotel group has all 3 properties operating, their existing parking is under significant pressure. That area is no longer a big dirt lot. To sacrifice further spaces, they not only impact their business, but may also face the need for a variance - I detected little enthusiasm for either the last time the subject was broached. Also, there’s a supply issue at that location. Not the fastest relay in the race, as it were.

Fortunately, there are all sorts of locations nearby that could work. Including a corner or two of Northrop parking lots. On an equally jovial note, the Metro (light rail) main lot across the street is usually full, but there do seem to be quite a few spaces open at the VW and other stealership properties adjacent. I’m sure they wouldn’t mind.

None of the locations I note would win any awards for amenities. Unlike Qualcomm, it is doubtful that security would let people into the facilities to use the facilities. No food either.

It’s a shame that there aren’t the parking spaces to expand the existing site. The host restaurant is good. Given the location of the SC cabinets, it seemed likely that they would just expand down that outside row. 4 spaces there, anyway. Except it’s not enough, over and above the above issues.

What’s really needed, and has been for quite some time at that nexus of freeway, cities with a decided paucity of garages relative to residents, and proximity to LAX is a 20-stall site.

The Northrop sites could handle that.

A little paving on the other side of the 405 and light rail terminus would as well and would be within walking distance of the existing property. Stranger things have happened. But none have happened particularly quickly.

Interesting thought about the malls except Del Amo is hopefully out. Traffic is already awful on Hawthorne. The Galleria would be easier but still not fun.

As it stands, in my mind it’s even money whether we get For(got)t(en) Stockton or another SC in Redondo first.

Seems to me one at Del Amo would make sense and there’s plenty of room especially by the Sears.
That location would be great for me and it does have a lot of space. Of course I charge at home 99% of the time. Just in case others do not know there is underground (level 1 parking) free level 2 chargers just behind Nordstrom and also a few in front of Macys at the Del Amo Mall. But they are pretty much always full.

For Del Mar - I would think it would go to One Paseo's site -- perfect setup and timing on opening since both DelMarHighlands already have their chargers and Mango street complex doesn't really have space anywhere for it.

The new carmel mountain location is 4S-Target. That looks nice, though smallish.

Reactions: gaswalla
Torrance Del Amo mall batteries and solar went up and live recently.

With the addition of the Del Amo showroom, i wouldnt be surprised if we see superchargers here in the next few months....

Attachments

• D1FD6092-6FFF-4E62-8FCD-18FD0C328064.jpeg
    D1FD6092-6FFF-4E62-8FCD-18FD0C328064.jpeg
    303.9 KB · Views: 91