Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Superchargers in Southern California (location speculation)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Pomona would fit the bill. Don’t they have space at their SvC there to install SCs?
Tesla has stopped co-locating publicly available superchargers with Service/Delivery Centers. Now that those facilities are so busy, they end up totally monopolizing the charging slots and it creates a major headache. People looking to charge can hardly ever find an open slot so there're often long lines and they complain about the company interfering with the charging they had planned to get, and the Tesla staff's efficiency and throughput is lowered because they can't charge as many cars as otherwise and the lines of waiting cars messes with the lot's traffic flow so they have a harder time moving things around. It's a recipe for frustration on all sides. So, Tesla doesn't do that anymore. They build and install private superchargers that are only for the service center's use. And at those locations where, in the past, there had been public chargers, Tesla is de-listing them from the car's Nav. Usually, Tesla will build a new supercharger in the area, away from the Service Center, first before they ghost a site.

All of which is to say that they won't put a publicly available supercharger in at the Pomona Service Center.

I just spoke to a rep at the Tesla showroom in Del Amo (Torrance) and she said they just got approved to install new Superchargers there in the mall, but don't have a date yet. That's exciting news for Tesla owners on this side of town. All of the other chargers are far north or east of us.

My car got the software update which enables 150 kW supercharging, so now I can see which superchargers are capable of delivering 150 kW. Almost all of the non-urban ones can, but Atascadero and San Juan Capistrano are still 120 kW.

Ah yes, but now a quick walk directly across the street in Atascadero brings to you SLODoCo Donuts, which recently opened their 2nd location. A donut menagerie! www.slodoco.com

• Helpful
Reactions: jiserrab
I just spoke to a rep at the Tesla showroom in Del Amo (Torrance) and she said they just got approved to install new Superchargers there in the mall, but don't have a date yet. That's exciting news for Tesla owners on this side of town. All of the other chargers are far north or east of us.
About time. Hope they put them in a less crowded area like near Sears and not the packed it in by Nordstrom.

On a side note, I heard Mitsuwa (and its food court!) is moving into the area by the movie theater.

Two of the last couple Super Chargers opened in SoCal (Corona, Anaheim Hills) have been in Target parking lots. I think there is some sort of partnership so anytime I am at a Target, I look around to see if there is any construction. I thought maybe one in Chino Hills, but that looked to only be a landscape change.

Now today in a corner of the Diamond Bar Target parking , I see a fenced off area with some unmarked crates. The corner of the parking lot and and location of the 57/60 would be perfect for a SC. Thoughts?

Attachments

• IMG_20190519_165916.jpg
    IMG_20190519_165916.jpg
    824.4 KB · Views: 129
Would be wonderful if that's the case. The Golden Springs/Grand intersection is a bit busy, but as you said, the proximity to the 57/60 interchange makes it a good spot.

Tesla doesn't have a "coming soon" pin on their map for Diamond Bar that I could see, but they've opened chargers in the past without pins, so we'll have to wait and see...

Last edited:
Two of the last couple Super Chargers opened in SoCal (Corona, Anaheim Hills) have been in Target parking lots. I think there is some sort of partnership so anytime I am at a Target, I look around to see if there is any construction. I thought maybe one in Chino Hills, but that looked to only be a landscape change.

Now today in a corner of the Diamond Bar Target parking , I see a fenced off area with some unmarked crates. The corner of the parking lot and and location of the 57/60 would be perfect for a SC. Thoughts?
The crates have no markings on them at all?

Target does appear to welcome Superchargers. The two sites you mention are not the only ones: there is a Supercharger at the Target in San Mateo, and other locations in California.

Those look like the crates that Electrify America uses. And just like both Tesla and ChargePoint, EA also has a partnership with Target to install their charging stations. So, my guess is that if it's a charging station, it's an EA one.

Reactions: SilverSp33d3r
Im calm, its just been that way since early 2018 and no change.
So, there's a decent chance--but still no guarantee--that it'll get built sometime within the next 3 or 4 years. That's about all that can be said when the only data is that Tesla's map has a grey "Coming Soon" pin for a given place with a generic "current year" date. If you haven't heard anything by the end of 2023 (and the grey pin is still on the map), it'll be reasonable to start wondering if there's some hold up.

BTW, if you want to help in finding out the early scoop, Escondido publishes lists of building permit applications received and permits issued every week. So, assuming Tesla's prospective site is within the city limits (reasonable but not guaranteed), you can find out if there's any movement by checking those each week. Or by periodically doing a google search which would see those reports (e.g. like this).

Last edited:
Reactions: PLUS EV