TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Superchargers in Southern California (location speculation)

Discussion in 'California Supercharger locations' started by lg_golfs, May 23, 2015.

1. Cottonwood

Cottonwood Roadster#433, Model S#S37

Reliable sources tell me that Fresno may not be so lonely, and something may start there, this year.

2. 4SUPER9

4SUPER9 Active Member

Interesting to hear that there are SC's popping up that are not on the Tesla maps. That is especially good to know because with the most recent extrapolation, nothing else is planned for the I-5 between SJC and downtown. Here's to hoping.

3. SW2Fiddler

SW2Fiddler We Are Cognitive Dissidents

The newest 6-stall in Texas is at a Service Center. It lets Tesla provide a 24-hour lounge for charging customers.
    "SC" SCs must be a lot easier to deploy than the negotiations needed with hosts, parking spot placement, signage, etc...

4. lg_golfs

lg_golfs Member

I thought I heard that Brea was going to be getting a Service Center. Yes? If so, it would be great if it had SC's as well.

5. smilepak

smilepak Active Member

I asked the guy at the Tesla Sales in Brea and he said it was mention, but no immediate plan. They wanted to get Costa Mesa to hit capacity first before they look into Brea.

The whole SuperCharger location in Southern California, I think it was poorly planned. If the intent is for traveler to use them, then space them apart accordingly. You have Redondo, Culver City, and Los Angeles within 30 miles apart from each other, then the next nearest is all the way in SJC or Rancho.

You have a huge gap in between with no chargers for Tesla owners. Fountain Valley is a nice location, but 8 chargers is limited.

Would love to see one either Brea or Diamond Bar would be a nice middle point.

The next good location would be 605/5 freeway junction

Another good location is by 210/134 junction

and definitely one in the San Fernando Valley.

Supercharger.png

6. lg_golfs

lg_golfs Member

Agree with all of your location points. I am a little bit dyslexic and tried my best to align the coming soon map to a regular map and it did look like there was a spot that looked like the 10/605 connectors or the 10/57 connectors.

The 210 gap to the San Fernando Valley is a little baffling. My golf coach is 75 miles away from me down the 210 and with a 70D. I need to be careful.

7. smilepak

smilepak Active Member

Same here. We got friends out in canoga area. It's 75+ miles each way. Can't do much there. Like go to Simi Valley or roam around.

8. 4SUPER9

4SUPER9 Active Member

If you look at my post here, I took Cottonwood's map and marked all the current known locations and the unknown future locations from Tesla, and no such animals exist in those locations you mentioned. The 10/605 and 10/57 are interesting ideas. It may be more beneficial though to get one on the 5 first, such as in Downey or Anaheim. It does look like there will be one in Burbank or somewhere in the SF Valley. Personally, I think the 210/10 would most ideal.

9. tnnm

tnnm Member

This was some seriously good analysis work. Thanks 4SUPER9!

10. joefee

joefee Active Member

Got stuck in that area once...thank you plug-share!

11. smilepak

smilepak Active Member

Was stuck in brea yesterday with less than 70 range left to drive back to Anaheim and then corona. The brea downtown have four free public chargers all hogged for hours by the same cars. They use Bosch and clipper creek. I had to turn on range mode, turn off fog light, turn off AC. Made it home with 24 miles range left.

Basically plug share is good identifying spots, but there little info on availAble on these non-charge point or blink network.

Would hat to drive around one by one spot on plug share to find a charging spot and wait for charge rate of 14-15 miles per hour with a car full of ppl.

If there a super charger within 15 miles range or even 20 I would love to see that.

• Informative x 1
  12. AEdennis

AEdennis Active Member

If you had a CHAdeMO adapter, there are "free" ones at the Anaheim Transportation hub close to the "Pond" as well as in Cypress at Mitsubishi HQ (after 6pm and before 7am M-F and weekends 24 h).

13. smilepak

smilepak Active Member

Just bought one after last night experience lol

14. smilepak

smilepak Active Member

Where is this place? I didn't see it in plug share

15. cpa

cpa Active Member

Sigh! . . . . :redface:

16. AEdennis

AEdennis Active Member

Click on the names for the Plugshare links (on the web)

Anaheim Regional Transit Intermodal Center - Lot A - 2626 E Katella Ave, Anaheim, CA 92806 - Need Greenlots App on iOS or Android to initiate charge (but it's free).

Mitsubishi HQ - 6400 Katella Ave, Cypress, CA 90630 - No App needed, hours from 6pm to 7am M-F, 24 hours on the weekend. Historically really busy with Leafs.

17. Lump

Lump Active Member

Be happy, Cottonwoods source is usually correct #41

18. smilepak

smilepak Active Member

Awesome - Thanks. Bookmarked! Can't wait for chademo plug lol.

Interesting on the greenlots app, the website doesn't show they are in California.

Found out in the San Fernando Valley, at some of the LADWP area have free charging chademo as well.

19. AEdennis

AEdennis Active Member

There are a few LADWP CHAdeMO in West LA as well, but they're close to the 3 SCs... So, kinda pointless.

20. abasile

abasile Conscientious investor

San Bernardino Mts., CA (Elev. 6100' / 1900m)
    "Only" 24 miles left - wow! For a 2011 LEAF owner, 24 miles is more than a third of the battery. On longer drives, I never have that much left over when I get home. More like 10 miles at the most. It's no wonder the Tesla Model S is outselling the 2015 LEAF. Thankfully, we've found PlugShare to be very helpful (and our home charging station has been helpful to a number of people on their way to Big Bear Lake). Over the weekend we charged on a 14-50 outlet at a Tesla owner's home very close to a place we were visiting in Orange County.