Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Superchargers in Southern California (location speculation)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The National Park Service is taking public comments on their redevelopment plan for the Stovepipe Wells area of Death Valley National Park. Part of their plans involve expanding the gas station to accommodate a diesel fuel pump. I sent commends saying this gas station expansion would be a great time to consider EV chargers at that location as well (SC and other EV chargers).

Some of our members may wish to add comments on their gas station plans (and other ideas) as well. The comment period is open until December 23, 2020.

Here’s a link to the NPS project homepage: National Park Service - PEPC - Stovepipe Wells and Emigrant Site Plan

Here’s a link to the PDF with gas station project details: https://parkplanning.nps.gov/showFi...agement Newsletter 11.16.2020.pdf&sfid=447848

Here’s a link to the NPS portal for comments: NPS PEPC - Stovepipe Wells Developed Area Planning Public Engagement Newsletter

As a final note, this ended up on my radar through the Aircraft Owners & Pilots Association (AOPA) because one of the items up for discussion is closing the Stovepipe Wells airport in favor of a night-sky viewing area. Considering the airport does not have a lighted runway (or beacon) and is not open at night, my comment was “why not both?”. It’s a great little stop, a divert resource for many pilots and I’d someday like to land my EV airplane at that airport and charge at the EV gas station we got started here in 2020! If you can save our airport at the same time - that would be much appreciated. :)

The National Park Service is taking public comments on their redevelopment plan for the Stovepipe Wells area of Death Valley National Park. Part of their plans involve expanding the gas station to accommodate a diesel fuel pump. I sent commends saying this gas station expansion would be a great time to consider EV chargers at that location as well (SC and other EV chargers).

Some of our members may wish to add comments on their gas station plans (and other ideas) as well. The comment period is open until December 23, 2020.

Here’s a link to the NPS project homepage: National Park Service - PEPC - Stovepipe Wells and Emigrant Site Plan

Here’s a link to the PDF with gas station project details: https://parkplanning.nps.gov/showFile.cfm?projectID=72747&MIMEType=application%2Fpdf&filename=FINAL_DEVA SPW Civic Engagement Newsletter 11.16.2020.pdf&sfid=447848

Here’s a link to the NPS portal for comments: NPS PEPC - Stovepipe Wells Developed Area Planning Public Engagement Newsletter

As a final note, this ended up on my radar through the Aircraft Owners & Pilots Association (AOPA) because one of the items up for discussion is closing the Stovepipe Wells airport in favor of a night-sky viewing area. Considering the airport does not have a lighted runway (or beacon) and is not open at night, my comment was “why not both?”. It’s a great little stop, a divert resource for many pilots and I’d someday like to land my EV airplane at that airport and charge at the EV gas station we got started here in 2020! If you can save our airport at the same time - that would be much appreciated. :)
commented to request both DCFC and to keep the landing strip!

That's a pretty dense area, I can see why there might be trouble finding a spot. One wonders however what happened to the Target partnership? The Target on Balboa at the 118 would have been a better location to capture freeway usage than Sprouts in Granada Hills which doesn't have the same level of freeway access.
If the valley in total has 1.5 million people. That’s very few locations to charge.

we really need the promised studio city and Sherman oaks ones. “Promised”

What happened to the SC in Simi Valley? We used to have to stay in a hotel with a destination charger to make it back to Santa Clarita for a quick charge, or if going to Palm Springs, Burbank or Glendale. Now I know of a SC at the Palm Springs Museum of Art, but then I just plug in at home!

in a hotel with a destination charger to make it back to Santa Clarita for a quick charge, or if going to Palm Springs, Burbank or Glendale. Now I know of a SC at the Palm Springs Museum of Art, but then I just plug in at home!
You have several Supercharger options along this route:
11 Urban Stalls in Downtown PS (there are also Superchargers in Rancho Mirage and Indio)
16 Stalls in Cabazon (the Outlet Mall)
20 Stalls in Beaumont (some V3)
14 Urban Stalls in San Bernardino
(I'm skipping the Rancho Cucamonga stalls as that place is always a cluster)
24 Urban Stalls in Pasadena

I hadn't checked the official map in a while so i'm not 100% sure which ones are new. Has anyone compiled a full diff of the changes yet? @MarcoRP

Just clicking around LA... Bell and Pacific Palisades are coming in Q1 and Q2, probably permits out there.

Bell, CA Q1 2021
San Gabriel, CA Q2 2021
Pacific Palisades Q2 2021
Culver City Q3 2021
West Hollywood Q4 2021
Beverly Hills 2022
Sherman Oaks changed to 2022

Last edited:
Reactions: erod393
Beverly Hills. Yep, lot's of cheap and available land over there. There is a large and very available parking structure underneath and adjacent to the City Hall/Annenberg. That's the only place I can think of.
West Hollywood may be even more difficult. Perhaps on the upper level of the Pavilions.

I hadn't checked the official map in a while so i'm not 100% sure which ones are new. Has anyone compiled a full diff of the changes yet? @MarcoRP

Just clicking around LA... Bell and Pacific Palisades are coming in Q1 and Q2, probably permits out there.

Bell, CA Q1 2021
San Gabriel, CA Q2 2021
Culver City Q3 2021
West Hollywood Q4 2021
Beverly Hills 2022

Lakewood (south of LA) is no longer on the map

Bell, CA Q1 2021
San Gabriel, CA Q2 2021
Culver City Q3 2021
West Hollywood Q4 2021
Beverly Hills 2022

This past June, the City of Bell’s Planning Commission discussed building a supercharger station at 4410 Gage Avenue Bell, CA 90201: http://www.cityofbell.org/Home/ShowDocument?id=13965

This site suggests 8 chargers: https://www.cityfeet.com/cont/listing/4410-gage-ave-bell-ca-90201/cs18906711

Could someone create a thread?

Last edited:
Reactions: mociaf9 and MarcoRP