Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Superchargers in Southern California (location speculation)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Was stuck in brea yesterday with less than 70 range left to drive back to Anaheim and then corona. The brea downtown have four free public chargers all hogged for hours by the same cars. They use Bosch and clipper creek. I had to turn on range mode, turn off fog light, turn off AC. Made it home with 24 miles range left.

Basically plug share is good identifying spots, but there little info on availAble on these non-charge point or blink network.

Would hat to drive around one by one spot on plug share to find a charging spot and wait for charge rate of 14-15 miles per hour with a car full of ppl.

If there a super charger within 15 miles range or even 20 I would love to see that.

If its during mall hours Tesla Brea might have been able to help you with some juice. Sometimes after hours if the security guy is nice. Never done this, just asked my Brea sales guy if it was an option when I was going through my purchasing decision.

Reactions: Vern Padgett
On the FV thread I see the suggestion putting a Supercharger on the 5 rather than the 405 come up. I think TM's logic why not the 5 here is this:

1. In CA, Model S have carpool lane stickers, therefore
2. Model S owners want to use carpool lanes, therefore
3. Place Superchargers along CA freeways with carpools, if that choice is possible.
4. 405 or 5? 405 has carpool lanes.

The 5 through LA is windy and narrow, which, in no traffic, can be fun, but at most times of day it's so slow.

However, this would be an argument for the 210 too. That lends credence to La Cañada, Pasadena, or Burbank has half-way between Cucamonga and Tejon or Oxnard.

On the FV thread I see the suggestion putting a Supercharger on the 5 rather than the 405 come up. I think TM's logic why not the 5 here is this:

1. In CA, Model S have carpool lane stickers, therefore
2. Model S owners want to use carpool lanes, therefore
3. Place Superchargers along CA freeways with carpools, if that choice is possible.
4. 405 or 5? 405 has carpool lanes.

The 5 through LA is windy and narrow, which, in no traffic, can be fun, but at most times of day it's so slow.

However, this would be an argument for the 210 too. That lends credence to La Cañada, Pasadena, or Burbank has half-way between Cucamonga and Tejon or Oxnard.

Hmm. There aren't on the 405 in OC anyhow. So having one in Fountain Valley is feasible and a good location. With that one in the Orange Crush 22/5/57 would be nice. Another one 60/57....then you have 210/605.....or 91/15. If they focus on those major intersection as a primary goal then anywhere else in between once they established those area...that is what I could say proper planning.

Having 3 in a 15 minutes radius like Redondo, Culver City, and Hawthorne is a bit crazy. If the plan is to have one along the 105, they should've done it closer to the 105/605 or 105/710. The culver City one should be closer to the 405/10 cross. Redondo Beach should be closer to the 405/110 route. That would spread it out more and cover more of Southern California.

The supercharger in Burbank has been built! We missed the construction. Looks like nearly ready to go online

Where exactly? How did you hear of it?

EDIT: Found it here and added the Supercharger tag so the supercharger link will find it. It's at a service center at 811 South San Fernando Blvd., a long-awaited supercharger along I-5 for people taking that route through Los Angeles.

Last edited:
So both now we have three new one in Southern California this month or next month opening, Burbank, fou twin valley, and Buena Park.

nice.....time to guess next location..

irwindale or san dimas for one off 210 between Burbank and Rancho Cucamunga

diamond bar bar or city of industry for one off 60?

corona or Anaheim hills for 91 freeway?

Brea or orange block for 57? I think 12 stalls at Orange block would be nice location. 5 freeway, 22 freeway and 57 free meet....

maybe on cerritos for 105/605 route?

lake Elsinore for 15/215 route

Noticed Santa Barbara was being permitted on the supercharger site.

San Dimas / LaVerne would be great seeing I live there and I am a champion of forgetting to plug in my car. I see a letter in my future ;) It also makes great sense because its right where the 57 and 210 split. I am thinking more and more something is heading my direction especially after the Buena Park announcement. For the record, IMHO I think Glendora at the Home Depot or near the Bed Bath and Beyond would be best due to food, always open parking spots, etc. Its also really close to the 210 / 57 split

Tesla. Please feel free to call me ;) I have been thinking through locations near me ever since I got my car. I have thought through food options, places that would not miss 12 parking spots (see. I went straight to 12 stalls) and will be more than happy to take a pile of photos during the construction.

Not sure of the 105 / 605 because we have Hawthorne.

605 / 10 City of Industry would be great. Frys!

Along the 210 to the 118 to Moorpark is still really lacking.

And also really really needed. Temecula.

Last edited:
Noticed Santa Barbara was being permitted on the supercharger site.

San Dimas / LaVerne would be great seeing I live there and I am a champion of forgetting to plug in my car. I see a letter in my future ;) It also makes great sense because its right where the 57 and 210 split. I am thinking more and more something is heading my direction especially after the Buena Park announcement. For the record, IMHO I think Glendora at the Home Depot or near the Bed Bath and Beyond would be best due to food, always open parking spots, etc. Its also really close to the 210 / 57 split

Tesla. Please feel free to call me ;) I have been thinking through locations near me ever since I got my car. I have thought through food options, places that would not miss 12 parking spots (see. I went straight to 12 stalls) and will be more than happy to take a pile of photos during the construction.

Not sure of the 105 / 605 because we have Hawthorne.

605 / 10 City of Industry would be great. Frys!

Along the 210 to the 118 to Moorpark is still really lacking.

And also really really needed. Temecula.
Gotta move up to something like 18 stalls, 12 seems low nowadays.
I was gonna say 24 but did not want to sound greedy :)

We still need a Supercharger between Oxnard and the 405 Freeway on the 101 (the San Fernando Valley, Thousand Oaks, Agoura, Westlake or Calabasas). Also on State Route 126 between Ventura and Santa Clarita near Santa Paula or Fillmore.

Last edited:
So both now we have three new one in Southern California this month or next month opening, Burbank, fou twin valley, and Buena Park.
...clip..

I am not as optimistic on the Burbank SC's schedule. Although the charging pedestals are erected, with the wood enclosure also built - there has been no signs of progress for the last 2 seeks.

Perhaps its because nothing has been done on the adjoining Service Center location. In fact, the 'for sale/lease' sign is still up on the building.

So I doubt that there will be access to the SC'sbefore anything is done at the Service Center side. The entire lot after all is enclosed within fences.

Looks like there are new pins in the coming in 2015 supercharger map. A new one in San Diego south of the Qualcomm Supercharger...possibly Mission Valley, and one that looks like the 15 freeway....Maybe Escondido or Temecula?

Looking at the current, 2015 and the 50% blend of the 2015 overlayed on the current, it looks like there is one around Temecula, one around Mission valley, and one around Oceanside or Carlsbad.

That's some serious San Diego area coverage!

current_crop.jpg
2015_crop.jpg
combined.jpg