TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC
  1. TMC is currently READ ONLY.
    Click here for more info.

Superchargers in Southern California (location speculation)

Discussion in 'California Supercharger locations' started by lg_golfs, May 23, 2015.

1. lg_golfs

lg_golfs Member

If its during mall hours Tesla Brea might have been able to help you with some juice. Sometimes after hours if the security guy is nice. Never done this, just asked my Brea sales guy if it was an option when I was going through my purchasing decision.

• Like x 1
  2. dauger

dauger Member

On the FV thread I see the suggestion putting a Supercharger on the 5 rather than the 405 come up. I think TM's logic why not the 5 here is this:

1. In CA, Model S have carpool lane stickers, therefore
    2. Model S owners want to use carpool lanes, therefore
    3. Place Superchargers along CA freeways with carpools, if that choice is possible.
    4. 405 or 5? 405 has carpool lanes.

The 5 through LA is windy and narrow, which, in no traffic, can be fun, but at most times of day it's so slow.

However, this would be an argument for the 210 too. That lends credence to La Cañada, Pasadena, or Burbank has half-way between Cucamonga and Tejon or Oxnard.

• Like x 1
  3. smilepak

smilepak Active Member

Hmm. There aren't on the 405 in OC anyhow. So having one in Fountain Valley is feasible and a good location. With that one in the Orange Crush 22/5/57 would be nice. Another one 60/57....then you have 210/605.....or 91/15. If they focus on those major intersection as a primary goal then anywhere else in between once they established those area...that is what I could say proper planning.

Having 3 in a 15 minutes radius like Redondo, Culver City, and Hawthorne is a bit crazy. If the plan is to have one along the 105, they should've done it closer to the 105/605 or 105/710. The culver City one should be closer to the 405/10 cross. Redondo Beach should be closer to the 405/110 route. That would spread it out more and cover more of Southern California.

• Like x 1
  4. tnnm

tnnm Member

We really need one more on the 405 between Redondo Beach and Fountain Valley - either around the 710 junction or the 605 junction.

5. Lump

Lump Active Member

Not needed for long distance travelers since the distance between RD & FV is 30 miles, I-5 locations should be a higher priority.

6. gaswalla

gaswalla Model S,3,X.. CT with Austin delivery

The supercharger in Burbank has been built! We missed the construction. Looks like nearly ready to go online

7. emupilot

emupilot Active Member

#67 emupilot, Aug 19, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 19, 2015
    Where exactly? How did you hear of it?

EDIT: Found it here and added the Supercharger tag so the supercharger link will find it. It's at a service center at 811 South San Fernando Blvd., a long-awaited supercharger along I-5 for people taking that route through Los Angeles.

8. smilepak

smilepak Active Member

So both now we have three new one in Southern California this month or next month opening, Burbank, fou twin valley, and Buena Park.

nice.....time to guess next location..

irwindale or san dimas for one off 210 between Burbank and Rancho Cucamunga

diamond bar bar or city of industry for one off 60?

corona or Anaheim hills for 91 freeway?

Brea or orange block for 57? I think 12 stalls at Orange block would be nice location. 5 freeway, 22 freeway and 57 free meet....

maybe on cerritos for 105/605 route?

lake Elsinore for 15/215 route

9. lg_golfs

lg_golfs Member

#69 lg_golfs, Aug 27, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 27, 2015
    Noticed Santa Barbara was being permitted on the supercharger site.

San Dimas / LaVerne would be great seeing I live there and I am a champion of forgetting to plug in my car. I see a letter in my future ;) It also makes great sense because its right where the 57 and 210 split. I am thinking more and more something is heading my direction especially after the Buena Park announcement. For the record, IMHO I think Glendora at the Home Depot or near the Bed Bath and Beyond would be best due to food, always open parking spots, etc. Its also really close to the 210 / 57 split

Tesla. Please feel free to call me ;) I have been thinking through locations near me ever since I got my car. I have thought through food options, places that would not miss 12 parking spots (see. I went straight to 12 stalls) and will be more than happy to take a pile of photos during the construction.

Not sure of the 105 / 605 because we have Hawthorne.

605 / 10 City of Industry would be great. Frys!

Along the 210 to the 118 to Moorpark is still really lacking.

And also really really needed. Temecula.

10. AMPd

AMPd Active Member

Gotta move up to something like 18 stalls, 12 seems low nowadays.
    I was gonna say 24 but did not want to sound greedy :)

11. reach

reach Member

#71 reach, Aug 28, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 29, 2015
    We still need a Supercharger between Oxnard and the 405 Freeway on the 101 (the San Fernando Valley, Thousand Oaks, Agoura, Westlake or Calabasas). Also on State Route 126 between Ventura and Santa Clarita near Santa Paula or Fillmore.

12. smilepak

smilepak Active Member

There a few DC chargers for free provided by LADWP along the 101 in that area

13. eyespii

eyespii Member

FWIW, when I bought my car, my salesperson told me that there was a supercharger supposedly in the works on the 91 in Corona. Not sure how reliable his info was, but he did know about the Fountain Valley supercharger last month before it opened.

14. smilepak

smilepak Active Member

15. jkliu47

jkliu47 Member

I am not as optimistic on the Burbank SC's schedule. Although the charging pedestals are erected, with the wood enclosure also built - there has been no signs of progress for the last 2 seeks.

Perhaps its because nothing has been done on the adjoining Service Center location. In fact, the 'for sale/lease' sign is still up on the building.

So I doubt that there will be access to the SC'sbefore anything is done at the Service Center side. The entire lot after all is enclosed within fences.

16. Gregsbeach

Gregsbeach Member

That would be VERY close to the Rancho Cucamonga charger. Surprised it is not down the 15 by Temecula. But a welcome addition.

17. smilepak

smilepak Active Member

I've visit almost al SC in SC hahah except for El Centro. Was down by Salton Sea and decided to turn back to Indio. Lol

18. smilepak

smilepak Active Member

Oh we so need an SC in Pasadena or somewhere near there. Went to old town yesterday from corona with less than 70 mile range left. Made home with less than 25 mile range... Lol

19. Gregsbeach

Gregsbeach Member

Looks like there are new pins in the coming in 2015 supercharger map. A new one in San Diego south of the Qualcomm Supercharger...possibly Mission Valley, and one that looks like the 15 freeway....Maybe Escondido or Temecula?

20. liuping

liuping Active Member

Looking at the current, 2015 and the 50% blend of the 2015 overlayed on the current, it looks like there is one around Temecula, one around Mission valley, and one around Oceanside or Carlsbad.

That's some serious San Diego area coverage!

current_crop.jpg 2015_crop.jpg combined.jpg